NEW veggie grower to Shetland

Hi

Just looking for some advice around veggie growing in Shetland.

Come from Surrey so guessing things are goin to be a bit different!

I just wanted to know:

1. Where can i buy compost and pots / containers at decent prices?

2. Does anywhere sell seed tatties in singles rather than a big bag?

3. When do i sow if according to packets its say March how long should i wait or shall i just go ahead and sow now?

4. Is there somewhere i can rent some machines to clear a patch of heather / grass and once done do i need to do anything to keep it clear and what machine would be best?

Sorry long post but soo lost!

Thanks

Hi

Just started our first veggie patch too, just a few plots. Moved up in December.

Our patch is only small and we dug up the turfs and used them to make a play house for our little one

http://moder-dye.blogspot.com/

The hardware shop in Brae is pretty good for allsorts but not knowing where you are that might be no use at all!

From what I've been told it's OK to sow direct to ground stuff now, depending on what it is I guess.

Some one was selling big blue barrels on the classifieds here for £2.50 each. Cut them in half and they're great cheap containers. I mean to get some.

Mmm.. a bit of a SIBC post there I think, must be spening all day in the garden that did it LOL!

Hi

Just looking for some advice around veggie growing in Shetland.

Come from Surrey so guessing things are goin to be a bit different!

I just wanted to know:

1. Where can i buy compost and pots / containers at decent prices?

2. Does anywhere sell seed tatties in singles rather than a big bag?

3. When do i sow if according to packets its say March how long should i wait or shall i just go ahead and sow now?

4. Is there somewhere i can rent some machines to clear a patch of heather / grass and once done do i need to do anything to keep it clear and what machine would be best?

Sorry long post but soo lost!

Thanks

im guessing you have something like a croft if your planning to clear heather. im only guessing but i would not bother. if you have an old croft you will have some land that should do. if not then either you will need to do lots of work or as longdog says use barrels. to get an idea of what you can grow visit one of the shows in the summer. its shocking how good some of the stuff is. unlike ours which elieves in small is est.

Guest Anonymous

I never was much use at growing vegetables, but one thing I do remember is that if the packet says 'sow in March', leave until May.

Something worth considering for fertilizer is seaweed. Works well with vegetables, and is abundant in Shetland.

^ The seaweed didn't work very well with my Shetland blacks last year - they were the only tatties I mixed seaweed in the compost with. I put in 5 one-inch long seed tatties and after they grew and flowered I ended up with.... 5 one-inch long tatties. :?

I'm still after seed tatties if anyone wants to sell me any (I did put an advert in the classifieds but no one's responded.) :( Going to try growing them in tyres again this year since the rest of the varieties turned out ok.

Planticrub, the main one just out of Lerwick has v. good compost from shetland - they stock lots of pots and seed container also. As for seed tatties if you only want a few then set some that you buy for eating - make sure they're grown in shetland though, after that save your own.

As for sowing dates - it really depends on where you are - we're north and quite exposed (shelter belt establishing itself) so we do have to wait until the last week in April to sow hardy stuff and beginning of May for other. Its also v. dependent on the weather as you will find things bolting due to a cold snap beginning of June or suchlike. It is a learning curve and just be prepared for some losses- but the veg do taste amazing - possibly to the clean air and water? Well worth the effort - just don't give up you'll have good seasons and some not so good.

PM me if I can help with anything else :D

Th Co-op in Lerwick is probably the cheapest place to buy compost, they also get containers in which are probably the cheapest around (unless you get tubs you can recycle)

Garriock bros, LBC and possibly Hirebase in lerwick for toolhire.

best way to get rid of the Heather tho is to dig a strip around the area you want and burn it off, be carefull tho as it can jump the strip so you have to tend it while it burns or you could end up wi a hill fire ;)

And as AR says, leave it a month after what the packets say...after the last frost is best to plant up here, we have had hail showers in June ;)