PC Security

thekid

If you are using microsoft for your browser, is the security that comes along with it "antivirus and firewall" sufficent for protection?

At the moment i have zone alarm firewall and avg antivirus, both of which is supplied in the windows package so it made me wonder.

Help please.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no expert on PC security being a 'mac' person, but would have thought that avg antivirus and zone alarm would be a good start but there are probably other better options out there some of which are even free.

Hopefully someone with more savvy will be along shortly.

I may have got this totally wrong but it sounds like you have just bought the computer in which case your retailer should have been able to advise you on this.

It would alsohelp if you told any potential helpes what os you are uing ie is it XP, Vista or windows 7 as these may well affect the advice.

Don't worry to much what you got should be ok for now but make sure there on and set up !

Not clear what you mean but if you are talking about the protection that comes with Internet Explorer 8 then you do still need Zone Alarm and AVG. On the other hand if you are using Microsoft Windows 7 as your operating system then the "Microsoft Security Essentials" that comes with 7 should be sufficient. Still worth having a program like "Malwarebytes" installed and of course all security software needs to be kept up to date.

I've run nothing but AVG for years now and it has always been spot on. Indeed I have used it to clean up several computers supposedly defended by both Norton and Kapersky.

The only malware software i use is Microsofts malware removal tool. I personally have no time for Zonealarm, Windows firewall regularly blocks things it ignores, which says all you need to know about its real world effectiveness :)

At the end of the day, nothing can make up for using your computer sensibly. If you use the likes of firefox with add-ons, toolbars etc, and/or frequent "dodgy" websites regularly, you will eventually simply get what you're asking for.

AVG at one point was fantastic. Now it is incredibly bloated and constantly pushing you to buy the full version. And ZoneAlarm is basically (at least in my eyes) unnecessary if you have a decent hardware firewall, which most routers provide.

I stick with Microsoft Security Essentials for the simple reason that it doesn't hog memory or CPU time, and by default it'll only scan when your PC isn't doing anything.

AVG at one point was fantastic. Now it is incredibly bloated and constantly pushing you to buy the full version.

Are you sure you weren't using the trial version instead of the free one? Quite a lot of people i know have been put off by this, as the trial version is offered as a "free download", which is understandably mixed up with the free vesion, which has none of the optional extra's.

I've certainly never been aware of the free version trying to get me to upgrade, other than linking to the AVG frontpage each time a version expires, which is no more than once a year if that.

AVG at one point was fantastic. Now it is incredibly bloated and constantly pushing you to buy the full version.

Are you sure you weren't using the trial version instead of the free one? Quite a lot of people i know have been put off by this, as the trial version is offered as a "free download", which is understandably mixed up with the free vesion, which has none of the optional extra's.

I've certainly never been aware of the free version trying to get me to upgrade, other than linking to the AVG frontpage each time a version expires, which is no more than once a year if that.

Nope, definitely not! :) If you update AVG Free to 7.x or higher then it throws adverts to your desktop every couple of days. 6.5 isn't affected by it, but I don't think they're pushing updates to it any more.

you need several programs for a computer to be safe whilst surfing the web

1. anti-virus like AVG

2. anti-spyware like Spybot search and Destroy

3. anti-malware like malware bytes

4.anti-adware like ad-aware

5. firewall like Zone alarm

all programs listed are free and do a very good job at keeping your computer safe you can find them all at www.filehippo.com

but on a side note if you want the best saftey for your computer it will cost you a bit :evil:

I have the AVG 9 internet security package and it's always been great for me.

Have used the free one in the past but de cided to go for the paid package and it's been worth it.

Kev

yeah AVG is half decent when you buy it but i had some problems on my computer whilst i had it, which made me get something else.

my set up-

1. mcafee internet security (also a firewall)

2.spybot search and destroy

3.ad-aware (paid version)

4. malware bytes (paid version)

5.regcure (paid version)

6.ccleaner

plus i do regular checks in my computer and clean up all files i dont need by going in to "run" in start menu and typing "temp", "%temp%" and "prefetch" whilst deleting all files i can in each folder. or you can use a program called CCLEANER which is on www.filehippo.com and is a free. this just removes most, not all files you dont need