The Da Vinci Code

Fjool, must haven taken time to set that one up, well done!

I draw from my own experience, not the opinion of the masses.

As do I.

you cannot tell me that popular success is directly proportional to the quality of the work in question.

Indeed I cannot, and am not. I was not conecting the amount of sales, to the quality of such work. I was mearly pointing out that sales is a good way of rating a book without bias.

For another example, just look at the song that won the Brit Awards' 'popular vote' last night. A wholly predictable result based, not on the qualities of the song, but on the preferences of a demographic who are likely to make the effort to text in for their favourite.

Having not watched the Brit Awards, I wouldn't know who won the prize, this situation is completely differenty to the one I am describing. How can you even take into account a "ratings/awards" ceremony, that is televised live, and has the option to vote in real time (I also doubt many 12 year old girls bought the novel). Slightly different, from book sales.

DVC proves this point whether you care to admit it or not. It is a mediocre book which has achieved more success than it deserves; ergo, it is over-rated.

In your opinion.

doesn't deserve to have sold 60 million copies.

In your opinion.

Does anyone deserve to sell 60 million copies? How many copies do you suggest he should have told the publisher to sell, 1 million (sounds fair)? Does a euro millions lottery winner deserve 70 million pounds? By the large scale of things probably not. Your argument is a pointless one, which cannot be rammed down the preverbial throat. Its all down to taste.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No It wouldn't have sold so many and neither would any product in any shape or form. I don't think it would have sold any without any marketing full stop, which leads me on to... how much marketing is a suitable level for the book fjool?

I think it should have had..erm...a quarter of the marketing, thats fair. :?

What a silly argument you have presented, an argument that cannot be won nor lost. This my friend is all down to taste, and just because you obviously don't think the book deserves to be so highly rated, does not mean the that it should not be so. Also just because John down the road thinks it should be rated with highest regards, does not mean it should also.

My point, as you well know, oh obtuse and pedantic one, is that DVC sold this many copies due to factors which have nothing to do with its inherent qualities as a novel. Strip away the marketing and hype and you are left with a mediocre novel that, had the dice fallen a different way, would have disappeared without a trace.

However much you wish it were so, Brown's book is not a canonic piece of literature, irrespective of what the sales figures say. Sales figures often have nothing to do with the quality of the work, it is you who suggested this as some kind of quality-benchmark, not I.

Once more, I will try to explain: By 'over-rated' I mean that it has received more attention, and sold more copies than it deserves when judged on it own merits, rather than as a result of hype and controversy. It is not the first work to succeed this way, nor will it be the last, but you should not believe that having sold this many copies is down to it being a quality piece of fiction.

If you want to argue that it is a work of genius then fine. Select some great lines from the book and demonstrate to me how unfair I am being. Perhaps find a respected literary review which supports your position. Don't rely on 'number one best seller' as an argument of how this is a good book because, as I have repeatedly pointed out, 'best seller' does not mean 'best novel'.

My point, as you well know, oh obtuse and pedantic

Certainly. And in the interests of this debate I will follow your lead.

DVC sold this many copies due to factors which have nothing to do with its inherent qualities as a novel.

In your opinion

Strip away the marketing and hype and you are left with a mediocre novel that, had the dice fallen a different way, would have disappeared without a trace.

Inyour opinion, I doubt it would have disappeared without a trace, its not that bad.

However much you wish it were so, Brown's book is not a canonic piece of literature, irrespective of what the sales figures say.

I am not so deluded to think so, I think less of you for suggesting this.

Sales figures often have nothing to do with the quality of the work, it is you who suggested this as some kind of quality-benchmark, not I.

I never suggested it did, I simply mentioned that sales could be used as a non bias reference.

Once more, I will try to explain: By 'over-rated' I mean that it has received more attention, and sold more copies than it deserves when judged on it own merits, rather than as a result of hype and controversy.

In your opinion.

It is not the first work to succeed this way, nor will it be the last, but you should not believe that having sold this many copies is down to it being a quality piece of fiction.

In your opinion.

If you want to argue that it is a work of genius then fine.

I'm not.

Select some great lines from the book and demonstrate to me how unfair I am being.

Didnt say you were.

Perhaps find a respected literary review which supports your position

Possibly, but i'm sure there are many who do not support my posision, never the less this cannot discount my personal tastes, and literary apptitude.

Don't rely on 'number one best seller' as an argument of how this is a good book because, as I have repeatedly pointed out, 'best seller' does not mean 'best novel'.

I have not used that statement as an argument, and as for your final comment, I agree.

As I have already pointed out: this is a matter of taste. Just because I like the book and as you seem to think the majority of book readers hate it, does not mean I have a lesser litterary aptitude, and I certainly hope your not implying so. I found it an enjoyable read, and a good murder mystery.

I think this book was so succesful, because it touched a nerve with the world, a very interesting subject matter.

In my opinion I have read the book :wink:

I was somewhat loathed to pick it up (given all the hype at the time) but I'm glad I did as I enjoyed it right the way through.

I was interested to hear a film was to be made... yet filled with dread in the usual book-becomes-movie kinda way. When I heard that Sony (or whoever was behind the film) were going to pull all religious references from the movie for fear of p'ing folk off - said interest turned to disgust.

I've never seen the movie yet... did they chop out the religious stuff after all? It would make for a very short film.

Aparently not Carlos

Why so? Your last post was comprised almost entirely of "in your opinion", were you 'forced' to do so, McD? :wink:

Evading the issue aayyhh? :P

I actually agree with what you and Fjool are both saying. It's an iffy book, but it's a good read, it's plagiarism, but a freestanding murder mystery, the content is interestring, but less so than that from which it is drawn, the characters are shallow, but that's fine for a book of this style for me, the actual prose is simplistic, but that makes it accessible......i could go on, but you'd get bored, IMHO. :)

^^^^^ Like I said, a good story, badly written.^^^^^ :lol:

If he had "lifted" it straight out of that particular book he would have been sued. He fully admits that book was a huge inspiration, and gave him good ideas, but he did not copy, he simply used it as a bases for some of the resaerch.

I have read the Holy Blood/Holy Grail (turgid load of crap, and based on a hoax). Believe me, DB (or his wife) pretty much lifted it straight, but as has been said, most of the actual material was public domain so the lawsuit failed.