Ale Plant (drink)

Keedle

• 2 years later...
  • admin changed the title to Ale Plant (drink)

^Perfect timing!!!

I've been meaing to get an ale plant on the go for, oh, a year or two but.....

This wee reminder got it started a while ago. Used an old Tesco orange squash bottle with a wee bit of ginger in it, and filled it up with warm water and a bit of sugar. Then a bit of yeast that's used for the homebrew and it'll start in about two or three hours. Could have got the yeast out of some flour or a bit of fruit but was too bloomin' idle. Some things never change, but I can't wait 'til it's ready in about two or three weeks, maybe a bit longer.

Won't forget to keep it on the go, though, by topping it up sometimes and leave it for a bit for the yeast to do its job.

Edited by George.

Da mythical Ale Plant!

As far as I mind being telt as a bairn, it wisna normal hom bru or bread yeast dat did da fermenting and dat's why folk had to get a 'starter' fae somebody dat already had een on da go. Da 'plant' wis da spongy fungus-y bit dat floated on da tap and da 'ale' was whit was poured aff and drukken every noo and again. I canna mind whit it tastes lik, but I mind tinkin it wis good!

I'm tinkin it soonds a bit lik da idea o sourdough yeast dat folk keep livin for a lang time. A friend has some dat he reckons has been on da go for decades.

Here's a link dat seems tae be fae an article in da Belfast Telegraph in 1959 http://lisburn.com/stories/grow-their-own-beer.html

The plant — if that is the word — is a spongy yeast substance combining a fungus and a bacterium. It feeds on sugar and water and in the fermenting process produces a mildly alcoholic and, some say, refreshing drink.

--

"Each one to his own taste, but I use a confectionery jar almost filled with water," she said. "Every week I strain off the ale, wash the plant and put it back in the jar, half-filled with cold water. The remaining half is heated and into it I dissolve one tablespoon of treacle and two to three tablespoons of sugar."

The cycle takes about a week to complete, though the ale can be drunk earlier or later, according to the strength desired. The longer it stands the more bitter and alcoholic it becomes.

"I experimented with bottling it, but it goes flat very quickly. It's best drunk straight from the jar," she said.

I'm no sure I follow da exact process da wife in da article is describing. Does onybody ken how it wis done in Shetland? @Heimdal, @shoormal, @Pleepsie, @Peter and Ashleigh??

Edited by Muckle Oxters

31 minutes ago, Muckle Oxters said:

I'm tinkin it soonds a bit lik da idea o sourdough yeast dat folk keep livin for a lang time. A friend has some dat he reckons has been on da go for decades.

There's a man over in Norway that grew some yeast of a bit of flour in 1980. He's kept it growing all the way and sells it as brewers yeast.

Edited by George.

• 1 month later...

^No problem, fina. Anybody needing a plant seed is welcome, yourself included. There's also some wine yeast and beer yeast as well, but please don't mention the stuff that's working away in the blackcurrant squash at the mo':) You'll get me at 07799 038218 or shetlandgeorge@gmail.com

Edited by George.