National Elections 2010 - Debate

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
Did anyone else spot the brilliant comment from the Orkney and Shetland UKIP candidate in the Shetland Times today? He was arguing that we shouldn't bother funding increased public transport. He said:

"The only excuse for using public transport if you're over 17 is extreme drunkenness".

If he starts coming with more hilarious comments like that he could make the campaign much more interesting. UKIP: the comedy party.

i dont drink n still wouldnt use the busses, at least UKIP tellin it like it is

Did anyone else spot the brilliant comment from the Orkney and Shetland UKIP candidate in the Shetland Times today? He was arguing that we shouldn't bother funding increased public transport. He said:

"The only excuse for using public transport if you're over 17 is extreme drunkenness".

If he starts coming with more hilarious comments like that he could make the campaign much more interesting. UKIP: the comedy party.

i dont drink n still wouldnt use the busses, at least UKIP tellin it like it is

Eh? .. Please elaborate on your point ... basically... eh? Whit?!

I'm lost on that one too. I take busses at every possible opportunity. Cheapest chauffuer driven transport going, sure beats the hell out of having to drive yourself!

I would have thought "getting to work" would have been a slightly more important reason to travel than "extreme drunkeness".

Not a very good early impression. :roll:

P.S - wonder why he mentioned being "over 17"? Very weird comment indeed.

Yes I agree that his public transport statement is a bit of a clanger .

Of course public transport should be maintained where it is being used effectively and efficiently .

There are many occassions where it is not , such as full size coaches delivering 6 or 7 people from a to b .

Public transport subsidies do need to make it significantly cheaper than owning a car but at the same time should not be a black hole to pour money into.

That debate aside , unless any other party can offer the fishing industry a real lifeline - full national control to 200 nautical miles and the median line, a referendum on E.U withdrawel and also bring our fuel costs in line with the UK average , then UKIP is where my vote must be placed.

Carmicheal states in shetland times " the price of fuel and heating oil is a source of outrage and needs to be dealt with"

Yes well he has shown his skill in dealing with that issue during his last 9 years at our service - HOPELESS - We are still being Shafted!

The fishing fleet - We are left with a greatly reduced and ageing fleet - average vessel age probably in excess of 15 years.

Owners forced to buy the fish from people ashore before they can catch them

Fishermen having to dump prime fish to avoid prosecution

Myself an ex-fisherman now finding work on oil supply vessels on west african coast.

Vessels within our fleet cant afford to pay a full compliment of local crew and now employing cheap labour from as far afield as philipines and ludicrously west african coast !!

Perhaps I have passed these fellows onboard our planes as we fly to work !!

Thats a good one to put in your green pipe and smoke it !!

Where are the LIB DEMS on this ?? Doesn't even have the decency to mention it .

One of the core industries of our Island and they have done NOTHING.

They have let our greatest renewable resource and our most important employment providing industry to wither on the vine.

I also disagree with UKIP Candidate on his disregard for renewable energy .

Research and development is certainly a good thing , and maybe one day it will be all that some future generation has left.

But it should be local energy production for local needs.

mega-windfarms and interconnecter cables? , well i have said my bit on that before .

That debate aside , unless any other party can offer the fishing industry a real lifeline - full national control to 200 nautical miles and the median line, a referendum on E.U withdrawel...

Why do you think this would make any difference? Canada has had a 200 nautical mile zone since the 70s and is not under the command of Europe. It's fishing industry is dying a slow death just like everywhere else.

(** mod edit ** - Keep it clean )

European Union assails Canadian seizure of trawler Spain dispatches warship to protect fishing fleet in clash over international boundaries, shortages

The Boston Globe (Boston, MA) | March 11, 1995 .

MONTREAL -- The European Union yesterday denounced Canada's seizure of a Spanish trawler in international waters, and Madrid dispatched a warship and streams of invective across the Atlantic.

Canadian officials defended the country's new policy of gunboat diplomacy as the only way to protect decimated fishing grounds from further plunder by European fleets, especially those from Spain and Portugal.

The Grand banks were historically fished by european fishing fleets , spain and portugal in particular .

The Canadians had a fight to introduce a fishing ban and at that time various shetland and scottish fishing vessels flew the canadian flag in support of thier actions and against the CFP .

Since then (1995) the cod stocks have still not recovered , however they do have thriving prawn , shrimp & lobster fisheries , as the natural predator's cod , turbut & halibut are no longer in abundance.

Your argument, " other fisheries around the world are dying so lets just stick with the slow death being enforced on our fishery by a deeply flawed centralised bureacratic system, that we as a nation pay £45 million a day for theprivelage"

http://www.democracymovementsurrey.co.uk/dyk_eucosts.html

Your argument is quite pathetic , " other fisheries around the world are dying so lets just stick with the slow death being enforced on our fishery by a deeply flawed centralised bureacratic system, that we as a nation pay £45 million a day for theprivelage"

You appear to have misinterpreted my argument. Despite Canada's fight to have their 200 mile zone the fish stocks have not yet recovered, as you have stated. No fish stocks = poor fishing industry, no? Why would the UK having a 200 mile boundary make any difference when it's evident, from observation of another country who has done this, that it is not the answer? (This is a genuine question and not an attack.)

Forgive me for not being very knowledgeable on this subject. Biology is my forte, not fishing politics.

unless any other party can offer the fishing industry a real lifeline - full national control to 200 nautical miles and the median line, a referendum on E.U withdrawel and also bring our fuel costs in line with the UK average , then UKIP is where my vote must be placed.

I have already listed quite a few, and all of those were not just proposing a referendum to pullout of the EU, but to do so immediately. I notice the UKIP is softening it's stance on the need to leave the EU a lot now leading up to election time. Odd.

The BNP has a much more detailed fisheries section than the UKIP, surely it offers the best option if, as appears to be the case, all a parties other policies don't matter to you?

No I would never vote BNP , and no I am interested in more than one issue , I am just highlighting the three that are of biggest economic importance for these Isles in my opinion and UKIP are saying what I want to hear.

If the Lib dem , tories , labour or the E.U for that matterhave done something beneficial for our fuel prices , fishing industry or other areas of our economy please enlighten me .

I'd like to know how they plan to tackle the staggering debt Labour has managed to pile on us, still no party has even come close to elaborating on this elephant in the room.

Main stream press now seems to want to mention it:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-2010-debt--a-conspiracy-of-silence-1941257.html

Khitarajha ---Faroe's fishing grounds and industry have done very well free from the corrupt CFP management regime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroe_Islands

Generally, the Faroese control their fish stocks by limiting the number of days vessels can stay at sea or by closing key grounds at certain times of the year, rather than using the blunter quota catch system adopted by the EU and Iceland.

It is only a few months ago that a strong performance by the Faroe islands fishing industry was one of the key factors which helped Moody's Investor Services, the international financial ratings agency, give the country a leading Aa2 foreign currency rating.

Moody's says Faroe has successfully handled the challenges of managing an economy dependent on deep sea fishing and has achieved solid financial results over the past decade.

UKIP is the only party standing in Shetland which offers us the chance of this , full local control and right of ownership of our most valuable renwable resource .

The problem with voting in the current system for an also-ran party e.g. Lib-Dem or UKIP or SNP

is that they will never carry on weight in the UK parliament. Therefore the sitting government will feel no obligation to help Shetland. For instance if we had a Labour (God help us) MP the they would probably be offering us parity on our fuel prices etc. to try and hold a seat.

The problem with voting in the current system for an also-ran party e.g. Lib-Dem or UKIP or SNP

is that they will never carry on weight in the UK parliament. Therefore the sitting government will feel no obligation to help Shetland. For instance if we had a Labour (God help us) MP the they would probably be offering us parity on our fuel prices etc. to try and hold a seat.

^^

It was Westminster that passed the ZCC Act initiated by Grimmond giving the then Zetland County Council control of Sullom Voe etc, etc – all the Scottish Labour MPs voted against it and the Scottish Office was also opposed to Shetland having control.