When threads disappear.....

it's happened again.....

I've woken up to discover that a thread has disappeared without trace. Fair enough, it was a pointless thread and no good would have come of it. But it's gone, with no trace of it ever having been here.

As someone who has enjoyed the use of public forums since they first emerged, many moons ago, I fully appreciate the need for moderation. In fact, its largely because of people like me that they exist. I remember the good old days of the internet, when registration was unheard of and it was possible to post as other people just by using the same user-name and mimicing their various illiteracies. Sweet memories..... I appreciate that moderation is a necessary evil, just to protect the the owners of a board from possible legal challenges regarding its contents. Fair doos. I also appreciate the vast amounts of effort, time, and money which the Shetlink team have invested in this project, and enjoy the free use of this board on a daily basis. Thanks guys.

However, from a user perspective, I find the 'disappearing' of threads that ocassionally occurs here incredibly frustrating. I'm not contesting your reasons for choosing to remove them. It's your board, you set the rules. Again, fair enough. I just think there should be something to show that a deleted thread had once existed. Even a sticky 'threads deleted' thread in this forum would do, with moderator-only access. All that would be required would be the thread title, the forum which it was removed form, and a brief reason. One line would do it. Without this, from a user perspective, it seems as if you are just playing god. Try and see it from the little-persons point of view.

Thanks again for all your efforts,

Regards,

Dave

I'm presuming you are referring to to the thread discussing a particular member, which was developing into a very negative dispute, which did not disappear as such, it had it's name changed, was locked, the pointless posts removed from public view and the remainder with explanation moved to this section under its new title, "offensive posting".

The reason here being that we should never have left a thread discussing a particular member open to posting in the first place, as it would inevitably invite trouble.

I apologise for not detailing this lengthy process at the time, but it seemed fair to assume that it would either go un-noticed, or the new "offensive postings" thread would be recognised by those involved.

No playing god involved, more like damage limitation, and i must emphasize that very few posts have actually ever disappeared, and no thread has ever disappeared, simply renamed to something more appropriate to the content therein.

FYI, we do retain any posts that disappear, and do maintain a log of all alterations, and we can take on board your suggestion of a public log, if major alterations, as complicated as this one, become regular occurances.

Best regards, and apologies for any confusion

Njugle.

• 1 month later...