Knitting in schools

breeksy

Many of Shetlands contemporary and traditional textile designers feel that they learned a lot from their primary school knitting experience and have no doubt that it influenced their textile career.

We have a rich textile heritage that is world renowned but we also have a exciting future in textiles that should be supported.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new curriculum for excellence states that:

Experiences in the expressive arts involve creating and presenting and are practical and experiential. Evaluating and appreciating are used to enhance enjoyment and develop knowledge and understanding.

My learning in, through and about the expressive arts:

* enables me to experience the inspiration and power of the arts

* recognises and nurtures my creative and aesthetic talents

* allows me to develop skills and techniques that are relevant to specific art forms and across the four capacities

* provides opportunities for me to deepen my understanding of culture in Scotland and the wider world

* is enhanced and enriched through partnerships with professional arts companies, creative adults and cultural organisations.

Does knitting not fulfil that requirement?

I liked knitting at the school although I wasn't much good at the Fair Isle. When my granny had a stroke I knitted squares and made a blanket when I was 12.

Knitting instructors cost the schools service 117,000 pounds in 2008. I think that considering education in Shetland cost 36 million pounds last year they are probably good value for money. It's like what someone said in an earlier post - once the knitting instructors goes that's it, the skill is gone unless individuals decide to persue it.

I think as a parent what I will miss is seeing all the bairns knitting on display at the Yell show.

The new curriculum for excellence states that:

Experiences in the expressive arts involve creating and presenting and are practical and experiential. Evaluating and appreciating are used to enhance enjoyment and develop knowledge and understanding.

My learning in, through and about the expressive arts:

* enables me to experience the inspiration and power of the arts

* recognises and nurtures my creative and aesthetic talents

* allows me to develop skills and techniques that are relevant to specific art forms and across the four capacities

* provides opportunities for me to deepen my understanding of culture in Scotland and the wider world

* is enhanced and enriched through partnerships with professional arts companies, creative adults and cultural organisations.

Does knitting not fulfil that requirement?

The curriculum for Excellence is a child-centric approach and therefore stating that knitting will fulfil the EA requirement for all children is not necessarily appropriate. I am sure that there are many children that despise knitting and as such goes against many of these points for certain children.

It is hard to realise that education in Shetland needs to make front-line savings to fall into line (or closer to it) with the rest of Scotland and the UK. I agree that knitting should still be taught in Shetland schools, but certainly not in its current form. Employing a 'teacher' to teach knitting is a tremendous drain IMO. I believe that knitting should be taught as part of the 'art' (or EA) curriculum. This would allow children to learn knitting skills, but in a much smaller block and as part of a wider scheme of work. Relating this to the current Environmental Studies curriculum would also allow children to see where knitting ties into Shetland and its culture.

From the adults I have spoken to, there is about a 50/50 split for and against knitting (as it stands) in Shetland Schools. I would also say that around 3/4 of children I have spoken to would rather not knit.

I think that this is an extremely hard choice that has to be made, but what is clear is that if they don't loose dedicated knitting teachers, the saving will have to come from somewhere else in the school.

I think that this is an extremely hard choice that has to be made, but what is clear is that if they don't loose dedicated knitting teachers, the saving will have to come from somewhere else in the school.

I think staffing levels full-stop needs to be looked at in all schools. After looking at information for the year 2008 I am wondering why Dunrossness primary with a school roll of 112 has 9.37 teachers and a pupil/teacher ratio of 12. Cullivoe primary has a pupil/teacher ratio of 11.4. The national average is 16. According to the schools service primary staffing levels Dunrossness primary should have 5 teachers.

I think your suggestions stephen on knitting in schools is a good one and should be looked at.

Just to add to the suggestion made by stephen, I wonder whether 'recruiting' volunteers for knitting instruction is something that has been or could be considered? Unless the need for disclosure checks or whatever make it a non-starter, I'm sure a lot of older folk would be happy to spend a few hours a week sharing their skills with bairns and that both groups would benefit from the social contact - ticking all the boxes in terms of school/community links and the like.

^ I've looked into to volunteering for some after school clubs and was told that there was an after school knitting one once, but none of the kids were really interested in it so it didn't happen again. Disclosure checks are required but can be arranged through the school.

I absolutely hated knitting at school, which is a shame as I'd quite like to be able to do some basic knitting now. What made me hate it even more is that the lasses were forced to do it, and the boys got to do great arty/crafty stuff while the lasses were at knitting - no equal opportunities then (and I'm not that old)!

I don't see why, as a compromise, it couldn't be offered to those who actually want to do it, then classes could be amalgamated and the actual number of instructors/instruction time required, I suspect, would be greatly reduced. I don't think the format in which it is offered is necessarily the best format - I agree with the earlier post that it might be better offered as part of the art curriculum or similar.

I hated knitting at school and was hopeless, i was always the one at the teachers desk getting my dropped stitches fixed! However, now at 30 - I am so glad we had to learn, I would say I'm a pretty good knitter now and find it a really relaxing hobby.

I think it's a real shame if its lost from schools - I'm sure there are other money saving areas.

Knitting is not part of anyone's education and money ought not to be wasted on this hobby. If parents wish their children to learn knitting then they should either fund this themselves or learn the children themselves.

Far too much responsibility which belongs to parents is imposed on the Educational system and it is time to put an end to it.

Stop wasting taxpayers money!!!

It is hard to realise that education in Shetland needs to make front-line savings to fall into line (or closer to it) with the rest of Scotland and the UK.

Nothing to do with knitting but a lot to do with savings. There is a certain male teacher at Aith school who is the link person for the school in regards to the school being linked to other several other schools in Europe. I happen to know that this teacher has several visits to Europe each year which are funded entirely by the Eductional Dept. Now if that is not a waste of public money what is?? Not only in terms of flights, accomodation and expenses but someone obviously has to be employed to teach the children that he should be teaching when he globe trotting at YOUR expense!!

Guest posiedon
gavva

Knitting is not part of anyone's education and money ought not to be wasted on this hobby.

So would you apply that same "logic" to woodwork (a hobby?) metalwork (a hobby?) swimming, football, netball et al (hobbies?) Art (a hobby?) music (a hobby?) I could go on.

Where would you draw the line?

very true posedein.... I guess it should come down to choice and not enforcing kids to do what they don't want to do...........

Hiring relief teachers of knitting, woodwork, metal work and cooking... only paying for them on an as required basis depending on the childrens choice of activity