Knitting in schools

breeksy

gavva

Knitting is not part of anyone's education and money ought not to be wasted on this hobby.

So would you apply that same "logic" to woodwork (a hobby?) metalwork (a hobby?) swimming, football, netball et al (hobbies?) Art (a hobby?) music (a hobby?) I could go on.

Where would you draw the line?

I'd rather have done any of those than knitting. Hell, I'd rather have just had to do lines!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard that councillors voted to axe knitting in schools. No surprises there then. I was surprised to learn that Fair Isle knitting has not been taught in schools for years. What I want to know is why not? I could probably still follow a pattern. Now the bairns just go into the museum and can make fair-isle jumpers on a computer.

The council is offering knitting instructors redundancy or re-deployment. They are obviously hoping they will just go because if they have to re-deploy them how is that saving money? and what will they do?

a few days ago I was against knitting in schools but after viewing the lovely fair isle knitting that children have been doing I feel dismayed that this art and part of Shetland culture is not being encouraged when children want to learn and develop these skills.

What a hopeless bunch the SIC are, pay off to Dave Clark compensated by stopping knitting classes! well done.

Knitting classes were always a good crack, trying to pt some oo through da spinning wheel was a challenge.

If they are stopping knitting, why dont they stop art, music, PE, foreign languages and all the other things that kids could learn outside of school? they would make some savings!

Hell, with savings like that they could have given Dave Clark the £1.3million he was after!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Khit if you want to start a knitting afterschool club there'll be at least one bairn at Eid after the summer who'd love to join

Me? No, I'm just a novice, although I must say I blocked my first lace scarf yesterday and it's looking mighty fine! ;) They didn't teach knitting in my school where I grew up. I had to wait and join a craft group in Shetland to learn such fine things. ;)

Well, my 6(to be 7 very soon) year old niece has just been learning how to knit from granny and she absolutely loves it. Da peerie bairn is just in her element wi it.

It's just typical of the SIC to cut part of Shetland's traditional history and heritage :roll: :evil:

It annoys so much me when there's so, so many other areas that could(and should) be cut.

Well, my 6(to be 7 very soon) year old niece has just been learning how to knit from granny and she absolutely loves it. Da peerie bairn is just in her element wi it.

It's just typical of the SIC to cut part of Shetland's traditional history and heritage :roll: :evil:

It annoys so much me when there's so, so many other areas that could(and should) be cut.

I think your niece is probably getting knitting tuition in a far more traditional manner than in the classroom. Granny will no doubt know best.

I learned to knit before going to school but a knitting teacher did visit school each week - late 1950s/early 1960s - to teach girls to knit. She taught me things my mother had never tried - textured patterns/aran - so increased my knitting knowledge.

Knitting is like everything else which involves physical co-ordination (cycing or swimming for example). If you learn when you're young you'll always be able to go back to it in later life even if you need a little help to get you re-started. Nowadays most Mums and Dads don't have the skill to teach their kids to knit.

To drop knitting tuition just because few people make a living from it is crazy - how many make a living from music or art? There should be more emphasis in schools on home-making (cookery, sewing, knitting, home decorating, home maintenance, growing food) - all will be useful when people are looking to make ends meet.

No one I know that had kitting at school can actually knit now, so that was a good investment.

I can!!

I am saddened to hear of the decision taken by councillors, I will be interested to know how long it takes for the perceived saving to be made, and worry about the true cost.

I hope that relevant bodies are looking at alternative methods of keeping this very important heritage strong within the younger generations.

I hated knitting in schools so much. I was completely crap at it. I think personally it should be part of art or something. I wasn't much good at art either but at least there was something in there that you could generally find that you preferred. Having to do knitting for 5 years though, which is a very specific thing that i was specifically awful at just made me resent it.

I hated knitting in schools so much. I was completely crap at it. I think personally it should be part of art or something. I wasn't much good at art either but at least there was something in there that you could generally find that you preferred. Having to do knitting for 5 years though, which is a very specific thing that i was specifically awful at just made me resent it.

But can the same feelings be had for other subjects? PE, Science, French, English, Maths, etc

But can the same feelings be had for other subjects? PE, Science, French, English, Maths, etc

Definitely, but I can at least understand the merit of having everyone do them. Something so specific as knitting, I can't see the benefit in having everyone do. I think having knitting part of art would be a good idea, because it would be a shame to see it die out, but having everyone do knitting as a stand alone subject for 5 years?