mobile phone repairs

scooper

In my case I went to camera centre and was fobbed off with a number to phone myself to organise the repair. The phone was bought fae cc and was only a week old. Ended up screen couldn't be fixed an cc wouldn't give my money back so hubby bought el cheapo phone when he was away and works amazingly. I'll never buy a phone local again.

Hells Bells, I think you answered your own point in that it "...ended up screen couldn't be fixed..." Any damage such as physical/liquid damage will not be covered by the guarantee. Whether the damage occurs on day 1 of the guarantee or day 364, the situation is the same. Unless you have mobile insurance taken out then the repair will be chargeable in this case.

I have a contract phone and damaged the LCD screen within the warranty period so had to cough up £80 for a replacement. Similarly, Volkswagen wouldn't repair my broken car windscreen when I got a stone chip as it was accidental damage which is an insurance issue.

I think you should continue supporting local businesses as the same would have happened whether you bought locally or from the mainland.

• 2 weeks later...

I try and buy as much locally as possible and did a lot of research before I bought the phone but I was fobbed off when I went to the camera centre with little/no explanations about the problem so I will not buy or recommend anyone buy a mobile fae the cc. I also paid the company I was told to send phone to and had to hassle them for a refund, at least when I've bought mobiles fae the vodaphone shop they have sorted any problems with explanations and with a deal of courtesy and on one occasion free of charge and that was also screen damage.

If you've damaged the screens of two mobiles, it would suggest that you

are not very careful with your phones!

Did you think the shop should have paid for you being careless?  If it is

the shops obligation to pay for customer damage, which I don't think it

is, contact Trading Standards.

I have always found the Camera Centre extremely helpful.

Can you give a better explanasion of what you thought they would be able to do for you. I

f the phone had stopped working for no apparent reason, fair enough, I'm sure they would have sorted that out for you no bother as they are an extremely helpful bunch IMO. I can't see why you thought they would be able to do something about a broken screen, I would be surprised if anyone on the isle could sort that for you.

Not having a go at you just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Cheers

Sorry if it seems I'm having a rant. I bought phone for hubby to upgrade the bog standard one he had. He charged it up and took to work with him, the old phone sat in the same pocket for years nothing went wrong with it. He puts new phone in same pocket goes to work comes hame and the screen had a little black dot on it. Next day the whole screen went blank and rightly or wrongly the fob off was " oh thats a pressure fault you'll have to phone this company " card handed over end of story. I would have and subsequently have accepted that it was a pressure fault but felt totally let down by the reaction of the shop hence I won't buy from them or recommend them to anyone and as shetlandpeat says they can be a hit or a miss to deal with.

Sorry if it seems I'm having a rant. I bought phone for hubby to upgrade the bog standard one he had. He charged it up and took to work with him, the old phone sat in the same pocket for years nothing went wrong with it. He puts new phone in same pocket goes to work comes hame and the screen had a little black dot on it. Next day the whole screen went blank and rightly or wrongly the fob off was " oh thats a pressure fault you'll have to phone this company " card handed over end of story. I would have and subsequently have accepted that it was a pressure fault but felt totally let down by the reaction of the shop hence I won't buy from them or recommend them to anyone and as shetlandpeat says they can be a hit or a miss to deal with.

you can buy fairly cheap "indestructible mobile phones go here for a look http://www.amazon.co.uk/JCB-Toughphone-Sonim-Splash-Resistant/dp/B00139LWNQ/ref=sr_1_1/278-8802741-0224124?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272908302&sr=8-1

here is a little video to show you a bit about the phone aswell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OVAB9mHdSA

hope this helps with your problems with mobile phones :D

As I said, I've always found The Camera Centre very helpful and yes,

perhaps you are having a rant about your mishap as it was damaged so soonafter purchase.

Initially you complained that the shop didn't pay for the phone to be repaired, but now you say you didn't like the assistant's attitude. It can't be easy telling someone that their carelessness has destroyed a brand new phone; however, if they were less than polite, a quiet word with the owner would have been a more adult way to improve a local retail outlet rather than simply boycotting local shops altogether.

^^ I never complained about the shop not paying for the repair I complained about not getting my money refunded as the phone wasn't fit for purpose I think it's a consumer right although I may be wrong. I also said I was fobbed off by the lack of an explanation and at no time did I mean the assistant wasn't polite. Maybe I'm being unreasonable in my opinion of not buying another phone locally but I bet I'm not alone in thinking like this. And as I said before sorry if I'm having a rant. Rant now over :D

Still not trying to have a go Hellsbells but if you've damaged the screen intentionally or not how can you expect to get your money back? Although the weakest point of a mobile phone is the screen IMO it still takes quite a bit of force to break it.

If say the retailer did give you a refund does he not then have a problem trying to get his money back from the supplier? I would imagine the supplier or manufacturer would have the same response to the retailier as the retailer had to your good self!

I think its unfortunate that you may have unintentionally broke your phone but sometimes you just have to suck it up.

How much did you pay for your phone in anycase? Hopefully not hundreds.

On another note, who served you? I would imagine its not Cecil or Ben, maybe one of the younger lasses but even they would probably have to get one of the above to deal with this problem.

Cheers

I paid £100 for phone and £48 to get it repaired, I got the £48 back from the company sooth. I accepted the screen was not repairable the maddening points are the way I didn't get an explanation on things and the phone being less than a week from purchase and as I said before the phone was in a pocket.