Dangerous Dogs

Babsy

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

A jack russell can be dangerous, as can a yorkshire terrier. People think of rotweilers as being dangerous but they tend to be more intelligent than smaller dogs (larger brain); however, because of the power within their jaws and the damage a bite can sustain, some people would say they were dangerous.

Rottweilers and pit bulls account for two-thirds of human fatalities resulting from dog attacks.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6189202_10-aggressive-dog-breeds.html

Ta for the link, which is from an American website. Problem with all statistics, no matter whether on dogs or any other subject, is how they gather the data. What about bites that have never been reported?

I had a dentist mate in London who owned the soppiest Rotweiler probably in living history. It looked as fierce as possible. One day, said dentist mate got his house broken into. Now some may say that with a rotweiler, the house contents should have been safe. Where was the rotweiler? She was found cowering under the bed in the children's room.

As I tried to say and perhaps didn't explain very well; all dogs have the potential to bite. Yes, a rotweiler will do more damage than say a pomeranian. Some toy breeds can (and not all I hasten to add) be "yappy" in character all the time; whereas larger breeds tend to have "one-off" attacks, especially when ill (for instance, ear infection).

People tend to forget dogs are dogs; not "your baby" or "teddy bear". People try to humanise dogs. You want go cuddle a dog? In doggie language, you are dominating the dog. You see a dog in the street and want to bend over it and stroke it. In doing so, you are creating a shadow which many dogs don't like. Would you like it if a stranger came up to you, shadowed you, and then put your face in their's? Nope, and nor do many dogs.

I agree with some others on here, especially re bringing back a dog licence.

Guest Anonymous

all the time o man theres been folk wi sheepdogs that bite , as a bairn i can mind there were houses you just didna go near , but its a whole new ball game noo , any wittless begger might turn up wi dugs, aabody round here looks after the dug very well i have to say

When I was an ambulance man I found that all dogs bite. If the owner is in bother the dog becomes worried and when some stranger aproaches the boss they tend to do what they can to protect them. Having been bitten by a wide variety of dogs I would have to say that the smaller the dog, the more agressive it becomes. The advantage of small dogs though is that they are easily controlled by throwing a blanket over them. Bigger dogs are more difficult. We once had to get the police to shoot an alsatian that had savaged its owner very badly and then would not let anyone near her. She nearly bled to death before we could help her. So I would say to you dog owners that iff you are feeling ill, dont take your dog for a walk and if you are at home and have called an ambulance, please shut your dog in another room.

I mind some freends o mine hed a peerie yappie dug - a kind o terrier - dat wis pooed aff dir peerie bairn dat he wis attackin. Da bairn wis lying in wan o yun baby seats, on da floor next tae da dug whit wis playing wi wan o yun rubber baas dat hed a face on it. Probably da dug thought da greetin bairn wis da same kind o squeeky toy as he hed been playing wi.

Da bite marks on da bairn's face wir no permanent, but wha kens whit psychological effects dir wir.

Fok should hae mair care.

if a dog bites anyone i believe if it was intentional then the dog is meant to be put down.

I hae a couple o dogs, they are very protective and bark if someone they are unsure about (or my mother) comes near the house. Its to do with it being their territory. They would never bite though, we have agreed if they ever bit anyone serious action would have to be taken.

As I tried to say and perhaps didn't explain very well; all dogs have the potential to bite. Yes, a rotweiler will do more damage than say a pomeranian. Some toy breeds can (and not all I hasten to add) be "yappy" in character all the time; whereas larger breeds tend to have "one-off" attacks, especially when ill (for instance, ear infection).

People tend to forget dogs are dogs; not "your baby" or "teddy bear". People try to humanise dogs. You want go cuddle a dog? In doggie language, you are dominating the dog. You see a dog in the street and want to bend over it and stroke it. In doing so, you are creating a shadow which many dogs don't like. Would you like it if a stranger came up to you, shadowed you, and then put your face in their's? Nope, and nor do many dogs.

Well said - dogs are animals that have deep rooted animal instincts. It does not matter how friendly your dog is ( and we have dogs so I speak from experience) they will always attack if provoked enough or if scared enough. They are also very protective, so if you threaten their world they will naturally act to protect it.

if a dog bites anyone i believe if it was intentional then the dog is meant to be put down

Dogs will not just bite for the sheer hell of it, there will be something in their past that has affected them and if a similar situation occurs instinct will take over.

I had a dog once. It was called Rex.

It had a very bad attitude and got kicked periodically.

You sad, cowardly, pathetic individual who deserves a good kicking yourself. Why do you think it had a bad attitude? Oh yes, because you treated it so badly. This is exactly what will turn a calm dog into a vicious dog, and a conflict incident will stick in a dogs mind so that is a similar situation occurs even years later, they will act to protect themselves. We have dogs that have been rescued from appalling cruelty, and even now years later there are certain noises we have to avoid or movements we have to avoid or the dog will cower and growl.

The bottom line is to remember that if someone had a tiger on a lead in the street you would not go over and pet them and try to hug them. A dog, like a tiger, is an animal with wild instincts that will never leave it.

Guest Anonymous

theres all these revolting staffies and ugly boxery things that stagger about frating , but the most crabbit untrustworthy dogs ive come across is collies, no that ive ever had more as a nervy nip in the hohch

"I had a dog once. It was called Rex.

It had a very bad attitude and got kicked periodically."

Did you make sure that it was securely tied before kicking it?

There is a correlation between people who ill treat animals, they often do the same to their kids.

"Nobody has a dog called Rex."

I know a dog that has an owner called Rex. :lol:

(Written with permission from the dog and owner.)

Regards.

One problem is though, young children do not understand this and the all to regular reports of small children being savaged or even worse killed reflect it. I think all dogs should be muzzled and on a leash in public as I tend to agree that its not just so-called "Dangerous Dogs" that are the issue. Public safety *and* public comfort are important

An example of what I mean by the latter - A couple of years ago I was taking my small children for a walk round the back of Clickimin Loch and a nice respectable looking wife with 2 smallish dogs comes along. Both dogs were very excited and my kids got very upset. Now, this I can cope with, but when she told me I really ought to take my kids somewhere else for a walk as this was a stupid place to go if you dont like dogs I was simply lost for words - well, lost for words I wanted my children to hear - This sort of attitude gives dog "lovers" a really bad name and legally enforced muzzling would go some way to protecting the public from the kind of intimidation that can be felt from dogs.

And Silketeen - Grats on getting a bite with one of the most obvious trolls ever posted, takes real skill :D