Accommodation providers beware

Rob

I'm not sure where to post this and I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say in this instance (maybe a moderator will let me know), so I'm going to have to be a little bit vague here... however, a warning to all accommodation providers in Shetland: I have had the misfortune to let a house over the winter and my tenants have done a moonlight flit, owing me rather a lot of money and having caused several thousand pounds worth of damage to the house and contents. Obviously I'm not at liberty to reveal names on a public forum like this, but I wondered if anybody knew if there was a way other accommodation providers in Shetland could be alerted to these people and warned not to touch them with the proverbial barge pole. I suspect they've left Shetland completely, so hopefully nobody here will have the same rather depressing day as I have had today.

Guest Anonymous

i rather doot that unless its criminal damage its a civil matter and your kinda bgugered there, rentin is not as speculative as folk think. Landlord register is a lame duck that charges plenty n does nothing too

I think you're right fleabee, my understanding is that I'm buggered about the money I'm owed and unless it can be proved it was criminal damage then there won't be much the police can do (although I have got in touch with them anyway). It's the first time in 5 years that (a) I've had someone disappear owing money, and (B) anybody has damaged the house/contents, so I guess that's not too bad. I was more concerned about trying to let others know of these people so that if they are still in Shetland or decide to return then they won't be able to inflict themselves on anybody else.

Rob, alas you are not the first or last one that will end up in this predicament. I let my property to someone a while ago (after spending a couple of hundred quid at the solicitors getting all the tennancy agreement contracts etc in place - which the tennants happily signed). 4 months later and the contract wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. They did a runner owing me rent (and damages) and basically that was that. Unless I pursued the ******* through civil action (at a "sausage" load more expense to me) then there was nothing else to do but live and learn and be very very careful who you let to in the future.

You are correct in avoiding naming and shaming on this or any other online forum - but by gowd you can certainly get the word of mouth going in the local pub so the scum that ripped you off become known far and wide.

Sorry to hear about you problem Rob Do you have anything in a righting agreement or any insurance etc. There is always the small claims court etc. How about the people who are organising the Shetland Hamefarin? They will have a list of all B + Bs they may be able to pass the word around all the local Accommodators. You should report it to the police anyway. There maybe others up here who have also been done by the same people before you