McAfee kills XP machines

Fjool

Pretty serious mistake. Took me two hours to trace down and fix on my machine, but now that we know what's wrong, the rest of the machines should only need 10 minutes each.

It's the guys looking after hundreds of machines that I feel sorry for.

Fortunately it looks like this doesn't affect the free, consumer market, only those who pay for the service... (>_

yeah it must be a right pain for them using XP, but i ok as i am running win 7 and linux thank god. its a pretty big mistake to happen usually i have found mcafee to be very reliable, but if they are employing tools to do the programing now i might change to kaspersky :evil:

A bit like Norton quarentining (sp?) userinit.exe a year or two ago. Embarrasing and frustrating!

I'd have to advise against kapersky as an alternative though zebbidy. I've spent countless hours removing it from pre-installs as it seems completely innefective against even the most common of malware.

AVG all the way :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.. I bought my new pc 'bout 3yrs ago and decided to run some experiments with my previous (one of which was to remove all antivirus protection). In all that time I have been very careful with my approach towards website authenticity and e-mail attachments etc with that machine.

The occasional online scan usually turns up a trojan or two (no big problem to sort) and maybe some spamware. Oh, and re-launching the browser generally cures any hi-jacking issues. But all in all, I don't seem to have been a victim of the new 'High Risk/Your Computer Will Explode Threat!!' that potential security package customers are warned about. Granted, I would think twice about using it for online transactions and such but am I really naive in thinking that Internet security is as impotent as Sumburgh airport security (yes, it's spelt correctly). Or is it mostly 'hype' spun by software 'pushers'?

yeah i have tried running a desktop pc for a little while without any protection a few weeks back (my old computer) and within the space of 20 days i had several viruses, few spyware and one major malware attack which changed most of the settings in my computer. so there will always be a major risk of not running anything, but a good thing is that you can fully protect your computer without having to pay anything as there are lots of decent freeware available nowadays.

internet security depends on what you do with your computer e.g. i am up to the hilt in protection because i download a few torrents and music of the web on a daily basis plus i also do most of my shopping online so im forever entering my card details. But if you do no transactions online then your security does not need too be as protective as mine, you could get away with an antivirus like AVG and Spybot search and destroy which are both free and dont take up alot of RAM to run.

i hope that makes sence because it did in my head :lol:

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.. I bought my new pc 'bout 3yrs ago and decided to run some experiments with my previous (one of which was to remove all antivirus protection). In all that time I have been very careful with my approach towards website authenticity and e-mail attachments etc with that machine.

The occasional online scan usually turns up a trojan or two (no big problem to sort) and maybe some spamware. Oh, and re-launching the browser generally cures any hi-jacking issues. But all in all, I don't seem to have been a victim of the new 'High Risk/Your Computer Will Explode Threat!!' that potential security package customers are warned about. Granted, I would think twice about using it for online transactions and such but am I really naive in thinking that Internet security is as impotent as Sumburgh airport security (yes, it's spelt correctly). Or is it mostly 'hype' spun by software 'pushers'?

Unquestionably 99% hype.

So long as you are sensible about your browsing and avoid insecure browsers like Firefox and Safari, the chances of "attack" are virtually zero.

I have had one piece of malware affect my computer in the past couple of years, same thing 3 times over, AVG caught it but as it had infected a system file it was easier to manually replace it. I eventally tracked it down to a collection of old DOS games I had stupidly downloaded and burned without scanning. Not a single incident from browsing, and I spend an unhealthy amount of time online!

I consider the hundreds of "malware defender" programs to be little more than viruses themselves, feeding off the paranoia created by themselves and the media.

So long as you are sensible about your browsing...

Sure, if you accept limits on what you can do online, then you can avoid most of the threats that are out there.

Or, you can deploy a full suite of security apps, and surf with no limits.

I use AVG, Spybot and a COMODO firewall with Firefox on XP. So far nothing has got past that.

McAfee is a terrible program, just a step up from no protection at all.

thats a pretty bold statement to make without any proof

You're right, my apologies.

For the last few years my father has used McAfee on his computer. It never caught bugs, and actually slowed things down considerably. Just the name brings back memories of being up at 1 AM trying to find where the latest virus had been stored. :roll:

Anyway, just my opinion.