peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

On my last Northlink trip (August) I asked a steward if there were any plans to alter the menu. His response was "what's wrong with it?"

I pointed out to him that the menu hadn't changed since the boats maiden voyage. He replied "one or to things have changed" then walked away.

I also overheard two tourists returning to Aberdeen after a day trip to Shetland. There disappointment that the menu was exactly the same as the previous night was obvious.

I seem to remember that P&O had a northbound menu and a southbound menu. I must admit that the food on Northlink is far better the P&O's ever was, although a bit of variety wouldn't go amiss.

^^^ That's unbelievable. I hate the attitude of some of their staff, it's like they think that just because they're the only northbound ferry company they can treat passengers like they do. Then again, sounds like the steward's thinking, 'Why's he asking me? Not my problem'. May be catering staff you need to mention it to.

I think it's pretty daft that they don't think of varying the menu a bit. Plus the food quality needs to be vastly improved anyway, it's inedible gunge. They have those customer surveys lying about the cabins, you should fill one of those in and mention it there. If enough folk do that they'll have to listen

how annoying, my mum has just had to pay full fare for her, partner, dog and car, to come up yesterday only to read in the times that the friends and family has started again... grrr

we've been phoning for weeks to find out if they were going to be offering it and northlink's staff seemed to have no clue if it would even be running again

very annoyed. they thought about cancelling their holiday. glad they never but its a pest they couldve saved money

As I no longer live in Shetland, I was a student in Aberdeen and despite finishing my studies have yet to decide to move back, I no longer apply for islander discount so I thought I'd register for friends and family.

Doesn't apply to Sunday northbound sailings on Friday southbound sailings. Nice. Those were the two nights I was going to sail!

In regards to the staff on board, I always found them very sarcastic at times. Doesn't really bother me because I too am quite sarcastic but I can imagine some people thinking they are being plain rude. On one time trying to board the boat, the crew member at the gangway who shows you which direction your cabin is in took one look at my boarding pass and said "I'm afraid I can't let you on." After a moment and a puzzled look back at him he said "I'm only kidding". I'm sure some people wouldn't be impressed.

• 3 weeks later...
On one time trying to board the boat, the crew member at the gangway who shows you which direction your cabin is in took one look at my boarding pass and said "I'm afraid I can't let you on." After a moment and a puzzled look back at him he said "I'm only kidding". I'm sure some people wouldn't be impressed.

Good crack if you ask me... tak a fun min :wink:

On one time trying to board the boat, the crew member at the gangway who shows you which direction your cabin is in took one look at my boarding pass and said "I'm afraid I can't let you on." After a moment and a puzzled look back at him he said "I'm only kidding". I'm sure some people wouldn't be impressed.

Good crack if you ask me... tak a fun min :wink:

All you have to say to that kinda thing is "BOMB" and then wait a few seconds then say "I'm only kidding" SURE HE WILL TAKE IT AS A JOKE as he tackles you to the ground and the swat team turns up.

:-(

Well it was only a joke...i thought joke's was aloud!??

That guy must be really tired of having front teeth in his mouth....or be awfully confident in his ability to duck.

I have a few questions about the ferry.

We have only booked single trips, no cabin. Is there anywhere where we can just hang out and nap? We don't intend to get sleep really but just a little.

What about the bar on the Ferry? When does it close? Or does it stay open all along?

One question I have for the future: How is it with dogs> I mean it's a 14hrs trip! Are there any dog loos anywhere?

Cause mine surely won't survive 14hrs without as much as a pee!

We have only booked single trips, no cabin. Is there anywhere where we can just hang out and nap? We don't intend to get sleep really but just a little.

What about the bar on the Ferry? When does it close? Or does it stay open all along?

There is the recliner lounge where a lot of folk sleep, personally I sleep in the bar myself can lie down on the sofa there. Bar shuts at 1am, its cold so take a sleeping bag. You might not get a lot of sleep, the boat in January can be rough sometimes.

One question I have for the future: How is it with dogs> I mean it's a 14hrs trip! Are there any dog loos anywhere?

I imagine they'll pee in the kennel.

Re the dogs. We moved up in June from London with two Shar Pei and I seriously think the conditions for dogs are quite lousy. If you can stick your dogs in kennels whilst you are on holiday, then personally I would and wouldn't bring them.

There are about 12/15 dog kennels with only a few (about 4/6?) large ones. You MUST book in advance. We managed to get a large one and a small one. They are the same as you will see in your local vets but seriously need replacement. The dog kennels are located on the car deck so it is very noisy for the dogs as the stevedores secure lorries down, etc. One of our dogs was fine, the other I reckon is still recovering now (but then Shar Pei can be rather sensitive). There were a couple of Westies cuddling up together absolutely terrified, a Labrador sniffer dog who couldn't give a toss unless another dog approached and it thought was going to nick its toy.

Northlink say you can only go and visit your dog when their staff (security) are available and say once during the trip. We went down about 3 times. You have to go up steep steps (NOT suitable for dogs at all) up a couple of decks and they expect your dogs to pee on the deck. Yeah right, you ever trained a dog only to do its business on grass to poo/wee on a deck? Forget it. I've never seen Kia do such a big wazz as she did when she got off that ferry.

The dog kennels get booked up really quick.

Like I said, I'd leave the dogs at home if you can. It really isn't fair to whack them through such a long, traumatic journey.

One answer for dog owners is to travel via Orkney which cuts the time the dogs are left alone in the kennels to something like 7 hours which is still far too long but an improvement on the 12/14 hours from Aberdeen. Of course there is also the 90 mins from Orkney to the mainland and the long road trip up the A9 but if your dog likes cars and matters a lot to you then it is worth considering.

Like I said, I'd leave the dogs at home if you can. It really isn't fair to whack them through such a long, traumatic journey.

Ok thanks for the detailed answer. I'm not bringing the dog this time as my husband can't come so he is staying at home with them, but we were thinking about bringing them in the future but will probably reconsider this.

Shame that it's so bad. :S

'JohanofNess: Thx for the tip with the sleeping bag. We'll do that.

The kennels are actually really good :?:

Our dogs have travelled up and back each summer for the last 3 years without any problem. I've yet to see (smell) a dog pee in their kennel. Plus the kennels are washed and cleaned after every journey.

Usually we book a large kennel for the pair to share but could only get 2 small kennels this year on the way up - they managed fine.

The kennels have heavy duty rubber flooring, it's easy to clean so it's hygenic, but we take a big blanket for them to sleep on.

And yes you can check on them if you want/need (accompanied by steward), but we've come to the conclusion that they're better off being left undisturbed.

Our dogs are pampered pooches and we did wonder how they'd get on but never had any problems - sometimes we forget how that dogs are actually quite hardy animals :roll:

^^ Perhaps it depends on the boat you are on but I have to disagree with you. The doors were rusty and they weren't that clean. I telephoned the local SSPCA afterwards and the guy was in agreement - apparently they have been trying to get Northlink to upgrade the doggie facilities. As I said, we didn't manage to get two large kennels and poor Kia was squashed up inside a small one (don't try and lift a shar pei into an upper kennel unless you want a hernia).

Perhaps the kennels differ from each boat?