peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

^ ^ She isna movin dat bad fair enough she is runnin we da wadder, just shaas how much better o a sea boat she is compared we dat photo o da 3rd Clair lying on her side when she wis coming intae Aberdeen in da early 70s we much da same kinda wadder.

Guest Anonymous

Actually, that video is very impressive. In as much as it shows how good the Northlink boats really are.

Boats are meant to roll about a little bit in heavy seas, although, try telling that to a Norwegian. They think that boats should be more stable than cars. :wink: :lol:

I get sea sick so easily! so if the boat rolls it makes no difference im more than likely gonna be sick anyway!

A lot of it is in your head. If you try to occupy your mind with something else then there is less chance you will be sick. The first time i was exposed to these abnormal movements when i was a wee wayne then i couldnt help but think about the next roll/pitch/sway or whatever, i could feel the symptoms coming on... dizzy, yawning, feeling tiered, apathy, not wanting to eat, etc. I couldn't help but think about all these feeling and thoughts, they would always get worse and worse, i would be thinking more and more about these feelings until i would finally spew.

some basic point that helped me get over it...

focus on the horizon.

get some fresh air.

keep your mind on something else.

forget about the motion.

eat, eat, eat. apples are not to heavy on the stomach & also help hydrate you, ginger also helps settle the stomach.

ride the waves... move your body to the motion!!

irrelevant to the thread i know, hope this helps though.

the boats just are too much like cruise liners and not enough like the north sea ferries they should be.

it just takes to look at them to know they arent fit for service in rough weather i am a ships engineer and i have been all my life which is a long time.

they should be taken out of service and replaced with ships something like the ould st clair and st sunniva which could handle all the rough weather that got thrown at them.

thats the definitive truth

I'd much, much rather be on the new boats than the old ones in bad weather. Some decidedly scary things happened on both the previous St Clairs and the St Sunniva had its moments too.

But I'm not sure what you mean by a 'north sea ferry' - I've not been on that many North Sea or channel ferries lately, but the ones I have been on have been even more like cruise liners than the Hjaltland or Hrossey. The St Clair and St Sunniva represented what North Sea ferries were like thirty-odd years ago; and things have changed. The new boats are comfortable, customer service is good and they meet or exceed all the current regulations. The passenger figures surely speak for themselves.

Deciding when and when not to sail is always going to be a judgement; over the last two or three years, comments on Shetlink have oscillated between criticism of decisions to sail and criticisms of decisions not to. Sometimes, as last week, something may go wrong, but on the whole I'd prefer to trust the captain on the night.

Guest Anonymous

Until I moved to Norway, I never really realised that people could be so paranoid about the fact that boats actually roll/pitch in waves.

Norwegians are impossible to convince that boats are not meant to be absolutely stable at all times. This is because they are traveling on Fjords, which are like duck ponds.

It's also impossible to find a Norwegian, since Leif Erikson, who has been out of sight of land on a boat, without suffering an embarrassing problem in their underwear. :wink:

comments on Shetlink have oscillated between criticism of decisions to sail and criticisms of decisions not to. Sometimes, as last week, something may go wrong, but on the whole I'd prefer to trust the captain on the night.

On nights the boat doesn't sail, the comments are along the lines of "da auld boat would hiv geen in dis".

On the nights it does sail, and something unforseen happens the comments are like "weel, even da auld boat wouldna hiv sailed in dis".

These comments are usually made by the same people.

^^ Yes, but we all know how accurate "passenger accounts" can be!! A glass partition? That sounds like a partition to the Restaurant then.

In general (oops, do I need to whack in "allegedly"?), sometimes those involved or who witnessed events can be a tad more truthful than any old company wanting to maintain a squeaky clean, holier than thou portrayal ...

One or two of the "passenger quotes" when I was on her when she rolled on the 4th of March stated that I had fallen down the stairs to the car deck! If I had, I think my injuries would have been far worse.

i thought you had smashed your ribs in. are you entitled to money if your hurt on the northlink.

I cannot comment on that at the moment!!

the boats just are too much like cruise liners and not enough like the north sea ferries they should be.

it just takes to look at them to know they arent fit for service in rough weather i am a ships engineer and i have been all my life which is a long time.

they should be taken out of service and replaced with ships something like the ould st clair and st sunniva which could handle all the rough weather that got thrown at them.

thats the definitive truth

I tell you this, I would love to make the journey to Shetland on the Adventurer or even better, the Ulysses in wild weather.

One or two of the "passenger quotes" when I was on her when she rolled on the 4th of March stated that I had fallen down the stairs to the car deck! If I had, I think my injuries would have been far worse.

Im pretty sure they tell you not to go down the stairs when the ship is moving... Im pretty sure that's why.

I wasn't going down the stairs when I got injured, nor did I intend to! I was going to the Cafeteria for breakfast and was coming from my cabin on the starboard side of the Reception when she rolled to Port! I went from one side of the ship to the other, at speed and collided with one bulkhead then bounced off and collided with the one at the top of the staircase to the car deck.

You try colliding with something which is 50 degrees lower than you from about 10 metres in height and tell me if it hurts or not!! Especially if there is a handrail involved!