peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

We went by the Northlink terminal about 4 this afternoon and one of the boats was loading as if it was going to sail. Looking at the AIS website just now it has the Hrossey off Peterhead. Are they having a fast run South to miss the weather in Aberdeen?

It's been there since

2010-11-23 22:48:29UTC

I'm on Northlink now, being held hostage.

It's leaving at aboot 6am but of course, we as people who will get hungry and will have to spend money are forced to stay on board so we do exactly that.

Aberdeen harbour, I am disappoint.

It's a security requirement that you don't get off. Could be worse, they could have said come back at 6am in the morning, at least you'll get a good night sleep.

And are Northlink not usually good at giving free meals in situations like this?

• 3 weeks later...

More to the point, why did P&O carry on with it?

It was supposedly originally done to let the dockers know the boat was coming, but radios and phones took over that job for them. They just carried on because it was something they had always done.

Northlinks original arrival time was almost an hour earlier than P&O so they would have been wakening up all the sleepy Lerwegians in the middle of the night for no reason.

The bit that irks me about their P.A. output, is bring wakened at 0630, to be told of the docking time at 0730. Doubtless this is to encourage us to go and have a Northlink breakfast. The only time I ever woke up in Lerwick and was amazed ti think that I'd slept thro' the 0630 wake up call, I went on to discover that we had docked at 0400, as he'd put the boot down and successfully raced the gale.

• 2 weeks later...
Does the boat ever not sail because of fog?

No - becase whin its foggy dey send a man forrard we a kishie o steens – every noo and dan he bals a steen intae da fog an listens fur da splash. If he hears a splash dan he kens hits aaright tae had her coorse if no dan he tells da skipper tae come astarn.

Does the boat ever not sail because of fog?

No - becase whin its foggy dey send a man forrard we a kishie o steens – every noo and dan he bals a steen intae da fog an listens fur da splash. If he hears a splash dan he kens hits aaright tae had her coorse if no dan he tells da skipper tae come astarn.

It's good to know that they don't depend on modern technology.

A man with a bag of stones sounds like a very eco-friendly solution too...

:lol: