peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Are they really taking one of the boats out of service the week before Up Helly Aa.

Last Tueday is January 31st.

I think you may have your dates mixed up. THE Up helly Aa is the last friday in February, I think there are some goings on in a playpark in January, but hardly anything special ;)

marlin13

I think you may have your dates mixed up. THE Up helly Aa is the last friday in February, I think there are some goings on in a playpark in January, but hardly anything special .

I love a bit of banter, but come on, Lerwick Up Helly Aa is the ONLY wan!

Some of you less significant places have a peerie fire festival and yun's aboot aa

Are they really taking one of the boats out of service the week before Up Helly Aa.

Last Tueday is January 31st.

I think you may have your dates mixed up. THE Up helly Aa is the last friday in February, I think there are some goings on in a playpark in January, but hardly anything special ;)

:lik: :D

However, despite my agreement with marlin13 (different debate for a different thread), I have also had the "pleasure" of being on the boat from Aberdeen the night before the Lerwick UHA and it is chaos at best. I am reliably informed (and it makes sense) that this is the case from friday/saturday right through that weekend.

I am sure Northlink must be aware of this as one would think it would stick out like a sore thumb in their passenger figures for the time of year. Besides the inconvenience for visitors, it seems silly for them not to capitalise on the most lucrative week or so in the winter.

I was on the Hjatland 3 weeks ago headed south, it was gusting close to 60 knots from the west as we left the harbour. We were warned it would be rough - and it was :shock:

I gave up in the bar/reclining seats, between spending a lot of time experiencing negative gravity, and the noise as the bow crashed back into the waves, sleeping wasn't an option.

It was pretty rough even before we passed the Knab, the captain said the worst bit would be the Roost. Bizzarely it was really rough till we got to the Roost - then it actually calmed a bit and I even managed some kip.

My tip is to sleep in the cafe at the back when it's rough, the crashes you hear at the bow are mere heavy shudders at the back, and there's less movement. Only thing you have to contend with is the galley staff swearing each time the boat launched and crashed back into the waves, quite often followed by a smashing of plates and more swearing :lol:

WHY o WHY did that boat sail south in this weather .

Yes i no ppl were warned if they did not want to sail ,yes the choice was yours .

The north boat will not sail in less sometimes ,come on northlink get a grip .

Now the poor ppl on that boat that are no doubt going what were we thinking are going to be evn more brassed of about having to sail to rosyth along with the fact they are more than likely going to be ill.

I think northlink needs a good shake up .

[***Mod edit - threads merged***]

A rough night but well within the vessels capabilities all be it travelling at a reduced speed. Aberdeen harbour closing is not something Northlink can be blamed for and of course if they hang about outside waiting for a break in the weather and Aberdeen to open they are dammed. Divert to Rosyth and they are also damned. Stay in Lerwick and they are also damned.

Seems to me that if nearly 100 passengers wanted to travel despite the weather (and the warnings given to them) then Northlink were right to sail even though I would not have boarded last night for just about any reason.

I would say good on Northlink for giving people the opportunity to travel.

There are plenty of people who don't mind a rough and/or extended crossing, and are just happy to be on their way. I wouldn't have thought twice about sailing last night.

As for not being able to land in Aberdeen, 5 diversions in almost ten years isn't a bad statistic!

What's odd though is the fact last tuesday (18th) NorthLink cancelled northwards citing bad weather when in fact the night was reasonable. This makes last night's sailing surprising given the conditions where worse than then.

That's what gets me - inconsistent decisions, why sail when you shouldn't, and stay put when you should.

What's odd though is the fact last tuesday (18th) NorthLink cancelled both ways citing bad weather when in fact the night was reasonable.

That's what gets me - inconsistent decisions, why sail when you shouldn't, and stay put when you should.

I wonder, did I hover all the way to Aberdeen?

The South ferry sailed, it was the North boats that were cancelled. There were problems South. The big gap at the terminal and a ferry going past the Knab gave it away.

The crossing was OK, it depends on what you are used to, especially as you are sailing the North Sea.

Now, as explained in previous posts, the captain has to make a choice, depending on passengers and cargo.

Now, imagine if something bad happened, rather spend another night in Lerwick than nursing an injury.

Now that Gripe water is non-alcoholic, less folk seem to be using it.

I realised that after i had pressed enter that i had made an error so i have corrected that for the record. Indeed it was only northbound that was cancelled last week.

Still the fact remains given the forecast, tide tables etc, NorthLink should have had a fairly good idea Aberdeen might have been unavailable so why sail?

Given the fact on other occasions in better conditions they've stayed tied up.