peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Because the they're a joke !!!! Seriously though , enough is enough ,  quite a few of the local fishing fleet have put to sea and plenty of much smaller oil related vessels are working so I see no reason these great big ships shouldn't be put to sea , nobody is forcing anyone who doesn't sail well to go on them so lets see business get back to business, no salmon or fresh fish has moved in days let alone the shops needing restocked as the shelves are bare , maybe we should give the contract to an oil company , they seem to keep working regardless of weather.

What gives you the impression that oil boats keep working regardless of the weather?  I've seen being at sea on a supply boat dodging weather for days until it settled down enough to work.

Fishing boats do not have a long space running the length and width of the vessel which can lead to a capsize with relatively little water on the deck, they do not have a mix of cars and trucks in this space.  Cars and trucks that can move about during the voyage no matter how well they are chained.  And they do not have passengers who insist of moving about when they ought to have tied themselves to their bunks.  Which is why the Streamline Shipping boat can sail when Northlink remain tied up.

Fishing boats do not have a long space running the length and width of the vessel which can lead to a capsize with relatively little water on the deck, they do not have a mix of cars and trucks in this space.  Cars and trucks that can move about during the voyage no matter how well they are chained.  And they do not have passengers who insist of moving about when they ought to have tied themselves to their bunks.  Which is why the Streamline Shipping boat can sail when Northlink remain tied up.

And what are the freight boats doing then ?

Because the they're a joke !!!! Seriously though , enough is enough ,  quite a few of the local fishing fleet have put to sea and plenty of much smaller oil related vessels are working so I see no reason these great big ships shouldn't be put to sea , nobody is forcing anyone who doesn't sail well to go on them so lets see business get back to business, no salmon or fresh fish has moved in days let alone the shops needing restocked as the shelves are bare , maybe we should give the contract to an oil company , they seem to keep working regardless of weather.

What gives you the impression that oil boats keep working regardless of the weather?  I've seen being at sea on a supply boat dodging weather for days until it settled down enough to work.

Because I work in the industry and realise that while they may not work every day they ceratinly put in more effort than the so called  "Lifeline" service does !!!

So, you are contracted, for money to get on a ship in all weathers, that is your choice. For many however, they do not have the experience of seasoned sailors and I would wonder if they would want to take any risk to get to Shetland. The P&O ferries were also kept in harbour or took 24 hours to do the leg, was OK as most passengers had berths, but I do remember the panic in folk and the worry of folk with young children. Could we also be sure that any livestock carried will be perfectly safe? Would you be happy to have your "dream" car parked next to a 30 tonne trailer with the service about to expect severe weather? Many, no. The risks appear to outweigh the gains.

It is not as if the planes are not flying is it. There are also other freight carriers.

Edited by shetlandpeat

And what are the freight boats doing then ?

Same thing with the freight boats.  They are both ro-ro vessels with a big space that is dangerous if it gets flooded and the trailers they are carrying can, despite being chained down, break free if a large wave strikes the ship.

How about some of the keyboard skippers on here contacting northlink and asking them why they didn't sail on Saturday? Rather than just spouting the usual XYZ would've sailed.

If you strongly feel northlink aren't providing the service they should be - do something about it....no-one on here will do anything about it.

WELL WHERE DO I START,I THINK JUST ME SHOULD JUMP IN THE BATH WITH SCORRIE WITH THE AMOUNT OF DRIBBLE

THEY SPEAK.JUST ME SAYS ABOUT THIS BIG OPEN SPACE THATS GOING TO FILL WITH WATER AND CAPSIZE THE SHIP

LOL,THE CAR DECKS IS WATER TIGHT SO NO WATER THERE,THE MORE CARGO THATS ABOARD THE BETTER IT MAKES THE SHIP HEAVIER IN THE SEA AND A BETTER SEA BOAT,THE CHAINS ON THE TRAILORS ARE CHECKED EVERY HOUR AND

TIGHTEND IF NEEDED.MR JINGLES ASKED WHAT TICKETS I NEEDED FOR MY ARM CHAIR,WEL AS YOU PROBABLY KNOW I HAV MORE THAN YOU HAV,HE SAYS ABOUT GAINING YOUR STCW 95 CERTS AND HE KNOWS AS WELL AS I ANY BODY SEEMS TO GET THEM,SUM OF THE MEN THAT YOUR SAILED WITH OR STILL SAILING WITH YOU WOULDENT TRUST TO CROSS THE ROAD.THE DAYS OF THE P/O BOATS STAYING IN PORT WAS THE DAYS OF ONLY A 24HR OUTLOOK FORECAST NOW A DAYS YOU HAVE 7 DAY FORECASTS SO NO EXCUSE THRER FOR NOT SAILING.I HAVE TO AGREE RFR937 IT NEEDS URGENT

REVEIWING.

Papsy you keep referring to the good old P&O days. So you will probably remember when the road tanker of lub oil fell over and crushed a couple cars. No amount of checking or chain tightening prevented that. Anyway how would you possibly know what ticket I hold?

If it bothers you so much then get in touch with northlink. Then post their reply on here.

It's easy to differentiate the 'experts' from the 'professionals' giving their opinion on this!

Interesting also to note that when the freight vessel 'Clare' sailed between Torshavn and Hanstholm, she left on time every week because they had competition and so as companies shipping out quality seafood produce, didn't give their customers a reason to choose an alternative mainland product because the ferries weren't going to run for half a week, which would ultimately have a negative effect on all parties.

When No(rth)link took over the 'Clare', it suddenly became incapable of sailing in poor weather.

All crew and skippers as pointed out are highly qualified, but some are more proficient and experienced at carrying out their duties than their counterparts, but at the end of the day will be constrained by the operational capability of their vessels which in the case of the freight vessels are useless. Their course on a poor night is like a yacht sailing into weather or an F1 car warming its tyres!

Shetland needs to have a lot more robust service than is currently provided so as to protect all parties interests in the long run.

It's a good job that Orkney has Banksy as Northlink are missing or cancelling around 50% of sailings at present on that route.

Any bets for when the next non sailing will be? Probably before the maaastaaas crew change day so as they do not have to do a day extra. Same as any other skipper- will work things to suit themselves!

Anyone know what the percentage of skippers crew change days being missed are with Northlink?!

WELL WHERE DO I START,I THINK JUST ME SHOULD JUMP IN THE BATH WITH SCORRIE WITH THE AMOUNT OF DRIBBLE

THEY SPEAK.JUST ME SAYS ABOUT THIS BIG OPEN SPACE THATS GOING TO FILL WITH WATER AND CAPSIZE THE SHIP

LOL,THE CAR DECKS IS WATER TIGHT SO NO WATER THERE,THE MORE CARGO THATS ABOARD THE BETTER IT MAKES THE SHIP HEAVIER IN THE SEA AND A BETTER SEA BOAT,THE CHAINS ON THE TRAILORS ARE CHECKED EVERY HOUR AND

TIGHTEND IF NEEDED.MR JINGLES ASKED WHAT TICKETS I NEEDED FOR MY ARM CHAIR,WEL AS YOU PROBABLY KNOW I HAV MORE THAN YOU HAV,HE SAYS ABOUT GAINING YOUR STCW 95 CERTS AND HE KNOWS AS WELL AS I ANY BODY SEEMS TO GET THEM,SUM OF THE MEN THAT YOUR SAILED WITH OR STILL SAILING WITH YOU WOULDENT TRUST TO CROSS THE ROAD.THE DAYS OF THE P/O BOATS STAYING IN PORT WAS THE DAYS OF ONLY A 24HR OUTLOOK FORECAST NOW A DAYS YOU HAVE 7 DAY FORECASTS SO NO EXCUSE THRER FOR NOT SAILING.I HAVE TO AGREE RFR937 IT NEEDS URGENT

REVEIWING.

A good oppo of mine is now a senior officer on a certain ferry company that runs from the UK to Northern Spain. No names, no pack drill..... I linkied him into this thread to see what he reckoned......

Most of his comments regarding your input are probably left unpublished. But he did use the phrases 'kin gash hand' and 'waister', Papsy.

You may wish to look them up.....

:rofl:

Step away from the keyboard and take a breath, Papsy.  :razz:

Edited by Scorrie

I know one of them, I will ask the next time I see him, however, do you still maintain that crew are expected to wander around the vehicle/cargo deck in severe weather? Even though they cannot vouch for the way loads have been secured inside vehicles that may shift or break free?

A list can cause cargo to break loose if it is not correctly stowed and secured. The problem is made
worse because the crew of the ship cannot normally see how the cargo is stowed inside or on the
trailer in which it is transported. A heavy load which breaks loose can cause other units to follow
suit. The result can be an increased list, the spillage of dangerous substances and, in extreme cases,
damage to the hull and ship's structure.

It has been identified that  (1997) that loads within vehicles can break free. This could be an unknow quantity.

How would you remove the risk of load restraint failure or failure of a chain in a force 8 gale and or huge swells and harm to the crew.

Shetland Times