peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

There is something which has not been mentioned in this debate so far. The Northlink boats are bigger than the old P&O ones. The entrance to Aberdeen harbour is the same size that it always was. This means that Aberdeen Harbour is going to be closed to the Northlink boats more often than it was for the P&O boats, hence, more cancellations.

Guest Anonymous

^^^^And still there will be numpties posting messages here berating Northlink for wanting to cancel sailings in doubtful weather....

Thank God that Northlink management has more sense than certain posters on Shetlink.

Guest Anonymous

^^^So Northlink boats are bigger than those P&O had, aren't they?

So what's your point?

Or What's your complaint?

Just having glanced at a few news items, I believe that Northlink maybe sailed tonight. We're not very up to date on the news her in the fjords.

But if they did, and something happened, like the incident in with the Irish Sea ferry, would you still be saying they are wrong to cancel for weather.

My point still remains.

Stop being a stupid numptie and let the Northlink management make a decision based on the information they have available in the interests of passenger safety and comfort.

The Larne-Fleetwood ferry that ran aground takes a shorter route than the Shetland-Orkney-Aberdeen one does. At least that ferry just ran aground, but with ours there would be a higher risk of sinking because we're right in the middle of the North Sea.

I, too, might be affected by Northlink's insistence at cancellations - my mam and sister are supposed to be coming away south this weekend for a wedding (my mam also has to drop some stuff off down here for me, among them my new contract phone that those w****rs at Vodafone refused to post to my Glasgow address :evil:), and my mam is concerned that they won't get away because of the ferry cancellations left, right and centre.

Perhaps Northlink may just need new boats to try and cope better with typical Shetland weather, rather than just understated cruise ships.

:oops: My apologies, I didn't realise the 'w' word wasn't affected by the shiny new language filter and have altered it accordingly :oops:

Guest Anonymous

I've said this before, but I can be a repetitive sod. :evil:

Complaining for the sake of complaining......

The ships would suffer less cancellations if Northlink weren't worried about passengers/numpties like you, complaining about them sailing in adverse conditions.

For God's sake, get real you numpties.

The only thing wrong with the ships, is the complaining passengers.

:twisted:

And interestingly the ferry was in at 3.22 this morning. If only this could be the case every day... (just ignore the fuel costs).

Is there any truth in the story that the reason they moved the arrival time from 7 to 7.30 in Lerwick was becasue of moaning Shetlanders complaining they were being woken up to early when it arrived at 7?

David

Can't think of one instance in my life that I've complained about being at sea when it is too rough, I AM COMPLAINING ABOUT THE BUILD QUALITY OF THE BOATS AND THE QUALITY OF THE MANAGEMENT OF THE COMPANY RUNNING THE SAID BOATS.

If I was the skipper I would not put to sea in those boats in anything over a force 4, I would refuse to sail until all passengers had done a full emergency drill including getting from their cabins while the corriders are filled with smoke. In fact we could build a simulator in the harbour and have capsize drills for everyone on the island we could also build one in Aberdeen and insist the tourists were put through the whole shebang too.

We could issue them with a certificate with their name on it telling anyone that is interested that they are safety trained and fit for travel charging £750/person every three years we could have a meaningless industry just like the offshore survival training.

Or we could build boats fit for purpose and stop listening to the fannies that think life has to be all wrapped up in cotton wool.

An uncomfortable trip is not by definition a dangerous trip, and anyone going to sea whether a fare paying passenger or member of crew has the choice not to sail. if you dont like rough sailings take the bloody plane and let the rest of us get on with our lives without your bloody pleepsin.

yis yis boy - I see dat da cooncil ferries ir aa stopped running da day an hits only force 9 eenoo- whit is da world comin tae I ax.

I mind crossin Bloomil soond in a fowerereen loks a times in a force 12 Norderly, walking 18 miles tae Ulsta dan sweeming across Yell soond - dan a days we tought nothin o hit, nae greeting or pleepsin aboot a peerie scaar o wind an 30 ft waves

And interestingly the ferry was in at 3.22 this morning. If only this could be the case every day... (just ignore the fuel costs).

Is there any truth in the story that the reason they moved the arrival time from 7 to 7.30 in Lerwick was becasue of moaning Shetlanders complaining they were being woken up to early when it arrived at 7?

David

I was lead to believe it was tourist's who complained the ferry arrived to early, as nothing is open in Lerwick until 9am. (keeping in mind they can stay on board until 10.00am)

I sure would love the ferry to arrive earlier than 07.30am, especially when you have to go to work same day.