peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

A long long long time ago I mind being asked up to dance on a peerie mootie dance floor on a Clair – certainly wouldn’t have been the last one – by some chap who then introduced himself as a wagon driver. And I remember thinking omg what am I doing dancing with a wagon driver. And now I have been married to one for 22 years (this possibly ought to be posted in Drunk Zone…) and when we were coming up when the boys were peerie – 10-15 years ago - there was some dreadful guitar / accordion combo on the Clair who we loved to bits – the worse they were the greater the holiday mood. In comparison, mood / ambience on Hjaltland; minus zero.

Sure bar shuts at 1am now!! Please correct me if im wrong. dnt think ive been refused but sure i saw a sign somewhere its hard to mind!

as for the bands i dunno sure some kind of entertainment would be worth while in summer anyway.

as long as they dont drop shetland routes in winter ill be happy so lifeline service if they do!!

Guest sweetpea

I have used northlink boats a fair bit, Had to sleep rough a few times due to no cabins available. I dont mind on my own, put on extra layers and buy a throw from primark and a bath pillow which has since been put to good use. Apparently however you can ask for a blanket I dont know if there is a charge. I have done cabin share too which was fine and other person got off at orkney so was ace. I find staff on boat really pleasant and am quite impressed.

Just heard a story fae an orkney taxi driver about a certain "coroded" individual fae here that stumbled of the boat in Orkney and got in a taxi slurring "take me to Sandwick" which he did, on arival in said village the rather inebriated soul took umbrage with the driver.

"This is no bloody Sandwick, I'm lived here aa me life"

"No we yun accent doo's no, now do you want a lift back tae the boat" :lol:

I have found the Ships (so far) to be quite good... cheap if you are travelling without a car and sleeping on the floor. Unfortunately, add the car and a cabin and it gets pricey. I don't like sharing a cabin (I am a bit of a snob), so when I move up the boat will be costing be near £250!

I think that a great step forward for Northlink, and ferries generally, would be to install the Japanese hotel casual things. It would allow the boat to fit in a lot of beds, give people personal space and a bit security. They are also quite good at drowning out snoring! If they were even just to replace 1 of the recliner lounges with them (and you could fit a good few in), I am sure there would be a good uptake.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tE5_aY_eu2g/SVTrhhSdyOI/AAAAAAAAAbg/PD-6uDvUJh4/s320/capsule_japan_1.jpg

http://theafterlifeepitaph.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/akihabara-hotel11.jpg

The fact its enclosed in the cube, for the uninitiated, in heavy weather this would result in injurys.

The relevant authorites would never allow pods like this onboard ships anyways. You'd be up the creek, if the worst came to the worse, and there was a capsize. Well you be up the the creek anyway, but its not going to help trying to climb out of a pod when you dont know which way is up.

That Japanese ssytem looks like hell on earth to me!

I can't stand the existing cabins and am constantly amazed that people value them so much.

Due to work/family reasons, there have been many times I have had a cabin but have moved up to the reclining seats/forward bar to get a comfortable nights sleep. I am sure I'm not alone.

I know I dont travel much, but I really enjoy the boat, so long as i'm not in a cabin!

Another health hazard Brought To You Courtesy Of Northlink comes in the form of a noxious gas which sprays at 15-20 minute intervals in the "reclining" seat lounge. Accompanied by a PHENOMENALLY annoying *rrrrr-TSS!*" sound effect, it's purpose is - I imagine - to "freshen the air". Unfortunately it's nothing short of toxic.

Freezing temperatures, chemical sprays, extortionate prices - Your holiday starts with Northlink Ferries. :x

Another health hazard Brought To You Courtesy Of Northlink comes in the form of a noxious gas which sprays at 15-20 minute intervals in the "reclining" seat lounge. Accompanied by a PHENOMENALLY annoying *rrrrr-TSS!*" sound effect, it's purpose is - I imagine - to "freshen the air". Unfortunately it's nothing short of toxic.

Freezing temperatures, chemical sprays, extortionate prices - Your holiday starts with Northlink Ferries. :x

Don't forget night farts, or is that what you are on about??