peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

I should have mentioned, our trip to Lerwick was great, but our return trip from Lerwick to Aberdeen was almost cancelled/delayed due to weather, but in the end it departed on time though we were warned the seas would be rough.

And rough it was....I held onto my bunk for dear life. Really really bad - not possible to get up and walk. It was pretty scary actually. Good thing for my sea sick medication as it pretty much knocked me out.

I did see them loading sheep as we were boarding, it must have been terrible for them.

I did see them loading sheep as we were boarding, it must have been terrible for them.

How come they transport animals in a sea state like this? Is this legal at all? Animal welfare act etc.?

For some weeks now I have this website www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~FairIsle

as frontpage for the internet... just keeping informed because I will be travelling soon. So I have seen how rough it acually was. Perhaps I should get myself a bunk and not only a reclining chair...

And I was thinking about animal transports too... if we move mine will also have to be transported with Northlink... but I think I would rather look for temporary accommodation for them near Aberdeen and wait for calmer days instead of travelling with them in rough seas.

How come they transport animals in a sea state like this? Is this legal at all? Animal welfare act etc.?

For some weeks now I have this website www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~FairIsle

as frontpage for the internet... just keeping informed because I will be travelling soon. So I have seen how rough it acually was. Perhaps I should get myself a bunk and not only a reclining chair...

And I was thinking about animal transports too... if we move mine will also have to be transported with Northlink... but I think I would rather look for temporary accommodation for them near Aberdeen and wait for calmer days instead of travelling with them in rough seas.

they won't transport horses and cattle in rough weather thats why our horse is still south for the last two weeks.

Guest Anonymous

Why would you even consider moving large animals at sea at this time of year unless they are going south for slaughter. and why slaughter south at all would it not be more sense and better for Shetland if we killed all these animals here and added the value to their carcass paying wages localy

Why would you even consider moving large animals at sea at this time of year unless they are going south for slaughter. and why slaughter south at all would it not be more sense and better for Shetland if we killed all these animals here and added the value to their carcass paying wages localy

My animals wouldn't be travelling before next summer, I have never considered this time of the year for a journey for them.

About others: generally spoken I could never see the point of transporting live animals to abbatoirs far away regardless whether a ferry is used or only lorries. Why transport live animals (and it can never be a pleasant journey) thousands of km across Europe (and even further)? Of course it would be far better to transport just frozen meat.

But the bloody EU still pays premiums...

"paying wages locally"

yes, definitely, this would be best and with proper marketing and perhaps a label "Shetland produce" there would be opportunities...

Fair Isle Jumpers are wellknown worldwide... like the Harris Tweed is (yes I know that's Western isles)... so why not agricultural produce?

Can we call up a brawly coorse nicht fur Sunday, ta "welcome" da damn Scots gold braid dats comin up upoa ir.

Mr Swinney [scots finance man] will catch the Sunday night ferry to Shetland and will return to the Scottish mainland on Monday afternoon.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/September/news/Swinney%20to%20lay%20down%20the%20law%20with%20SIC.htm

Mich'n he be brawly green aboot the gills and prayin ta da porcelin thron da hale hadd'n nicht nort. :twisted:

• 1 month later...

Interesting discussion on Radio Scotland this morning:

In the wake of the alleged 'ink cartridge bomb' incident, they were saying how much they're going to have to tighten up security on ships too:

"One bomb in one container could sink a ship!" and other scaremongerings.

So, how long before we see armed security guards at Holmsgarth, X-raying passengers & staff & their luggage, sniffer dogs inspecting every container and Grannies being made to take their shoes off before getting on the Northboat?

{They'll have to X-ray each individual lamb, cat & dog too... remember the goats in "Blood Diamond!"}

And of course the cost of a ticket will go up to pay for all this, and the cost of importing cargo will rise, etc.

Hope not though!