• Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

So they ARE sailing....

Updated on Monday 23rd May 2011 at 19:55hrs

This update is valid at 22:56

M.V. Hjaltland

Arrived in Aberdeen at 06:50

Due to adverse weather conditions the 19:00 sailing of M.V. Hjaltland from Aberdeen to Lerwick has been delayed.

The estimated time of departure of M.V. Hjaltland will be 24:00 and expected to arrive in Lerwick at 14:00

Passenger and Car Check-in was as normal and has now closed.

What is the fuss about?

Guest Anonymous

read the post SP

but then again if all those that are put out tonight were smackheads you would be the first to greet about their plight

Why would Northlink be worried about the trains, I think Northlink have no obligation, it is up to you to get there.

Nothing wrong with a gripe tho, whoever you are. Perhaps a read of the T&C's you agreed to.

They provide transport across from the mainland most days of the year, they have never let me down. Grin and bear it. It is good value for my money.

Guest Anonymous

customer service is about valuing your customers, something you would not understand SP.

you can carry on doing the same crap job every day and not care about the end user just like northlink did yesterday.

Now explain why I would know nothing about that. Northlik have to fit in withvarious agreements. Are you asking them to have a social concience, how much extra would that cost? I would rather feel safe, so would most others. Get insured, it covers stuff like that. If you get thje right policy.

Guest Anonymous
Are you asking them to have a social concience, how much extra would that cost?

Err yes, that is why they get a subsidy :roll:

I would rather feel safe, so would most others.

How safe did the folks feel that could not get a room in Aberdeen last night

No matter how much insurance you have it will do you no good when you can't find a room to sleep in.

It is nearly impossible to get a room in aberdeen on a week night at short notice at the best of times but when the oil companies block book every room in the city to put up their men that are stuck you have no chance.

I don't quite follow your argument, bobdahog.

A few posts back you say that because of cancelled trains due to blocked lines the oil workers who came ashore yesterday who live south of Dundee couldn't get home, and Northlink failed to take this into consideration - what exactly does it have to do with them? And have they not heard of the mythical A90 and a minibus? Why would you want to board a ferry to Shetland if you live south of Dundee? If you are referring to the available but unoccupied berths onboard, the ferry sailed at midnight so what use would that be?

As far as I can understand, the reason for passengers being asked to board at the usual time despite not intending to sail until later is that everybody is on board should there be a significant change in the weather which would allow a quick getaway from Aberdeen harbour, rather than spending hours trying to round everybody up to get back on board.

Yes Aberdeen hotels are notoriously full most of the time, but you don't have to go that far to find beds - Inverurie, Huntly, even Peterhead and Fraserburgh. While not ideal having the extra journey time at least you have somewhere to set your head down.

As a couple of folk have suggested, why not take your obviously vast knowledge on these matters to Northlink themselves, rather than putting on the same tediously stuck record every time there is some disruption caused by the mere mortals who run the ships.

Guest Anonymous

just try reading the post. the oilworkers would have booked up every room in aberdeen. so those that were meant to be on the boat but could not board due to northlink closing the check in would be able to see the boat at the pier they would have paid for a cabin yet be refused boarding of the vessel. no bed on the boat no beds in Aberdeen.

trees were down all over the a() yesterday so even those that started their journey by car had difficulty reaching aberdeen.

Those who started their journey by train were tranfered to taxis in Dundee yet still missed the check in.

I wont repeat myself again so just try reading the previous posts.

Guest Anonymous
As a couple of folk have suggested, why not take your obviously vast knowledge on these matters to Northlink themselves,

I have but they could not give 2 turds for the folk up here that they are supposed to providing a lifeline link for.

It would be good to see a copy of your complaint and their reply, I am sure you have taken it further with council, MSP, MP and MEP.

You could be our expert witness... :)

But, contracts are contracts, why should I pay more so as Northlink can keep a few hundred hotel rooms free just incase a tree falls down in Dundee.

The welfare of passengers is paramount. They are not sheep who can be herded and sent off in a tub.

I was on Northlink ferry last night . I phoned at 2.30 pm a recorded message informed us that the ferry would be delayed possibly until twelve midnight .

All passengers and cars still had to be at ferry by the said time on booking confirmation .

When we got aboard we were informed that it would probably be twelve before we left but if a weather window occured we would leave earlier .

The walkway was removed and the ship was made secure for sailing whats the problem with that ? We were happy as were the rest ofpassengers .

Some passengers asked to go ashore but were told there would be no dock staff to secure ship again after 6.30 pm again not a problem .

No airports or train stations would wait on passengers that are late !

Guest Anonymous

(** mod edit - insult removed **) no one expects northlink to keep any hotels booked just in case, but if P&O could manage to board folk late if the sailing was delayed for some reason then why can't northlink.

Yesterdays weather and todays flight disruptions were known about from lunchtime yesterday and yet they could not keep a couple of staff to hand to check in passengers delayed due to the weather.

I am not asking for folk to be allowed to go to the quarterdeck for pints and check in late because it suits them.

I am not asking that folk be allowed to leave the boat once checked in for whatever reason.

I am asking that northlink take into account all factors when making decisions like they did yesyerday.

If a weather window came up the boat could still of been secured for sea in a matter of minutes from the removal of the gangplank. so why not let folks check in late when they have been delayed.

for a company that has as many delays as they do they have a very poor understanding of folks needs when the delays are else where.

But quite frankly if you don't get it I won't waste any more time trying to enlighten the ignorant