peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Sorry to change this subject ... But, when did Northlink start scanning foot passengers (not car drivers/passengers) luggage to check for alcohol? and if they find any, they confiscate it and only return it in the morning.. is this legal??

When I travel with the boat, I make up a small meal and sometimes take a small bottle of wine with me in my luggage as I refuse to pay their extortionate prices. I'm quite happy to eat my meal in my cabin.

If northlink think they are taking the wine off me, they'll have to fight me for it:-). What next, will they take the crisps and sweets off the kids. This is a lifeline service which already costs an arm and a leg. When will the Scottish, sorry, "Central Belt" government realise that.

so , northlink, is the scanning of people's luggage a safety issue or a way if trying to ensure you screw as much sales out of folk as you can? Whatever, it's over the top.

Can't wait to board with my small bottle of wine and see if they try to take it off me, I'll quite happily tell them to stuff if and take a flight instead.

Is this alcohol check not just applied to gas plant workers?.  Certainly I have seen "confiscated" alcohol at the search point while my bag containing booze for the crossing went through twice.  Understandable rule says that people must not drink their own booze in the bar but I think Petrofac rules say their workers must not carry drink onto the ferry.  Remember Petrofac security are on duty at the bar these days after a few who drunk to excess spoiled it for the rest.

they search the bags of people boarding by foot, as you can only drink your own alcohol in a cabin,  if you dont have a cabin they will take it off you and return it when you get off at the other side,  its licencing laws,  you cant take a carry out into a pub, but you can buy alcohol there.  the law is the law,  northlink dont make it up they just have to stick to it

Legality of holding alcohol until berthing? If it is in their T&C's then are perfectly entitled to allow/hold/ban whatever they want.

Bear in mind that Northlink are a private company, they can operate with whatever restrictions they want - regarding they don't fall foul of the usual discrimination rules.

They decide no-one is allow to board wearing a hat? Their choice - take the hat off or don't get on the ferry....

More seriously, I've boarded with wine in my bag (cos I like to prop up in the cabin with a bottle and some nibbles after a couple of pints in the bar as well) and it's not been questioned when searched. Unless things have changed since I was last searched, maybe, I dunno. Maybe - as JustMe says - it is just Petrofac that the restriction applies to?

they search the bags of people boarding by foot, as you can only drink your own alcohol in a cabin,  if you dont have a cabin they will take it off you and return it when you get off at the other side,  its licencing laws,  you cant take a carry out into a pub, but you can buy alcohol there.  the law is the law,  northlink dont make it up they just have to stick to it

Never thought about that angle. If that's the case, then fair comment.

Care to elaborate on how this works regarding "licencing laws". I was under the impression such laws pertained only to stipulating when and where alcohol could legally be sold/served within any one given premises, not where and when legally obtained alcohol could be consumed within them, but I may be wrong in that. The "law" if such a "law" exists, of not permitting carry outs in pubs relies 100% on the licencee's total cooperation to be "enforced", which I'm sure they do with enthusiasm as its very much in their interests. There is no back up in law to enforce it as far as I'm aware, I've yet to hear of anyone being charged with "taking alcohol in to a pub", but I stand corrected if wrong in that.

If I am wrong about the extent of licencing laws, it begs the question, how do Serco manage to enforce it? Say somebody with a cabin is allowed to take a case of cans or a few bottles aboard, and they sit supping away in their cabin for a while. Then they decide to go for a wander around the boat taking the half empty can etc with them to enjoy on their way - Are they likely to get jumped by Serco's contract Security and have their drink confiscated or whatever. What if they refuse to give it up, are they likely to be forcibly restrained and have it taken off them, charged with something (what offence?) etc?

Fair enough, if Serco has it written in to the contract T&C's when you buy your ticket that passengers can only consume alcohol within certain designated areas, folk either play ball, or risk being banned from using the boat. But if the Licencing Laws are in play, unless someone somewhere could end up being charged with some offence both the Licencing Board and Serco are very much winging it trying to enforce it with no big stick other than scare tactics and browbeating.

Edited by Ghostrider

They likely thought they were just going to make it then got snarled up in traffic in Aberdeen. It's grim being able to see the boat but being held up near Union St. Back in the old days you would phone up and, thanks to the goodwill of the P&O staff, they would hold the boat back by about 10 mins if necessary. Obviously you couldn't take the p1$$ and casually turn up ages later, but there was a sensible degree of flexibility. Given the duration of the journey, 10-15 mins is hardly a big deal - especially when we know that they slow the boat down deliberately (and not unreasonably) to allow for appropriate docking times.

But this family didn't have a  "sensible degree of flexibility" on their part - they missed the boat.  They took the mickey by expecting the ferry to revolve around them.  Had they telephoned say 30 mins/an hour ahead, I bet they would have held the boat for them for a short duration of time.

4.33pm - tickets to print.

4.35pm at the earliest - get lift up one flight.

4.37pm - start walking cos hey, can't run with all that luggage, what with cot bed, baby and everything.  Can't leave it in left luggage cos it's already on its way to the boat ... which means it takes you longer to get to the boat.

They were pushing it.

That's assuming they were foot passengers.  If they were in a hire car from Aberdeen, hire car needed returning.  Granted, they give you a lift down to the ferry but sometimes you can wait 40 minutes for that.  Sometimes you can wait 30 minutes (or more) in the queue when returning a hire car.

Back in the good old days, as aforementioned, there were not so many Regulations.  Blow it, let them miss the boat.  Perish the thought of the boat going down, their bodies missing, and their grieving relatives demanding to know why their names weren't on the list as checked in.  Oh yeah, they just let them on.  Even if P&O were running it now, they would be faced with the Regulations which exist now, not back then.

You seem remarkably free of any empathy or understanding towards these people. I suspect that 'taking the mikey' and 'pushing it' was not at the forefront of their minds given their uniquely traumatic circumstances.  They were just trying to get home. Giving them a break would have been the decent thing to do.

I empathise with having a child in hospital.  But Shetlanders travel to the mainland as patients day-in, day-out, be they those with dementia, those undergoing treatment for cancer, routine operations, etc.  The amount of times the Red Cross drivers have people who are due to travel and don't turn up, with not even a phone call.  If the doors are closed on the boat, it isn't just a case of re-opening them.  You give Serco Northlink adequate time and Hospital Transport phone them, sometimes they will accommodate but not always.

So all other patients travelling who themselves might be in pain, etc., wanting to get home, and everyone else who has allowed sufficient time to get there should be penalised because this family didn't?  You are not telling me that they didn't know they would be late until 6 minutes before check-in closed; most of us know how long it takes to drive through Aberdeen.  They could have and should have phoned earlier.

The no personal alcohol has existed for ages.  All cruise ships have the same policy.  The policy has existed way before Serco.  It's standard practice throughout the ferry industry, sweet FA to do with the licensing board because the licensing board doesn't have jurisdiction at sea.

You may be correct but nowhere in the terms and conditions is this mentioned infact its ommision could indeed lead to a succesfull court action against Serco should a passanger be offloaded for refusing to hand over the booty

edit to add

Governing Law

28. These Conditions and any contracts of carriage entered into by Passengers, Shippers and Users with the Company shall be governed by the law of Scotland (including, but not being limited to, any international convention, protocol, code or order incorporated into the law of Scotland) and the Scottish courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction in respect of any dispute arising from such Conditions and/or contracts of carriage.

Edited by brian.smith

The no personal alcohol has existed for ages.  All cruise ships have the same policy.  The policy has existed way before Serco.  It's standard practice throughout the ferry industry, sweet FA to do with the licensing board because the licensing board doesn't have jurisdiction at sea.

You may be correct but nowhere in the terms and conditions is this mentioned infact its ommision could indeed lead to a succesfull court action against Serco should a passanger be offloaded for refusing to hand over the booty

edit to add

Governing Law

28. These Conditions and any contracts of carriage entered into by Passengers, Shippers and Users with the Company shall be governed by the law of Scotland (including, but not being limited to, any international convention, protocol, code or order incorporated into the law of Scotland) and the Scottish courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction in respect of any dispute arising from such Conditions and/or contracts of carriage.

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/boarding/prohibited-items/- so you don't reckon alcohol is "incapacitating" then?

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/boarding/terms-and-conditions/- so if ya put a match to booze, it don't go up in flames then?

edit to add

Governing Law

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/boarding/prohibited-items/- so you don't reckon alcohol is "incapacitating" then?

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/boarding/terms-and-conditions/- so if ya put a match to booze, it don't go up in flames then?

I am afraid athough I agree acohol can be flammabe if drunk in large quantaties those regulations do not relate to drink in your luggage

Edited by brian.smith