peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

The no personal alcohol has existed for ages.  All cruise ships have the same policy.  The policy has existed way before Serco.  It's standard practice throughout the ferry industry, sweet FA to do with the licensing board because the licensing board doesn't have jurisdiction at sea.

You may be correct but nowhere in the terms and conditions is this mentioned infact its ommision could indeed lead to a succesfull court action against Serco should a passanger be offloaded for refusing to hand over the booty

edit to add

Governing Law

28. These Conditions and any contracts of carriage entered into by Passengers, Shippers and Users with the Company shall be governed by the law of Scotland (including, but not being limited to, any international convention, protocol, code or order incorporated into the law of Scotland) and the Scottish courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction in respect of any dispute arising from such Conditions and/or contracts of carriage.

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/boarding/prohibited-items/- so you don't reckon alcohol is "incapacitating" then?

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/boarding/terms-and-conditions/- so if ya put a match to booze, it don't go up in flames then?

I am afraid athough I agree acohol can be flammabe if drunk in large quantaties those regulations do not relate to drink in your luggage

I thought it was flammable regardless of whether or not you drank it. ;-)

The no personal alcohol has existed for ages.  All cruise ships have the same policy.  The policy has existed way before Serco.  It's standard practice throughout the ferry industry, sweet FA to do with the licensing board because the licensing board doesn't have jurisdiction at sea.

You may be correct but nowhere in the terms and conditions is this mentioned infact its ommision could indeed lead to a succesfull court action against Serco should a passanger be offloaded for refusing to hand over the booty

edit to add

Governing Law

28. These Conditions and any contracts of carriage entered into by Passengers, Shippers and Users with the Company shall be governed by the law of Scotland (including, but not being limited to, any international convention, protocol, code or order incorporated into the law of Scotland) and the Scottish courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction in respect of any dispute arising from such Conditions and/or contracts of carriage.

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/boarding/prohibited-items/- so you don't reckon alcohol is "incapacitating" then?

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/boarding/terms-and-conditions/- so if ya put a match to booze, it don't go up in flames then?

I am afraid athough I agree acohol can be flammabe if drunk in large quantaties those regulations do not relate to drink in your luggage

I thought it was flammable regardless of whether or not you drank it. ;-)

The signage is clear on the boat you cannot consume your own drink in the bar area that leads you to understand you can consume it in other areas ie cabins

If you're being loud and obnoxious or appear to be a danger to yourself and others, Security will intervene and take the booze off you.  It's returned at the end of the journey.

You wouldn't drink your own bottle of vodka in a public bar on land so why think you can consume it on the boat's bar?

I dont the point was drink being taken on boarding

One of the people this has happened to had a cabin, but had a bottle of wine confiscated from their hand luggage at the scanner before they got onboard and returned in the morning.

Of course you wouldn't drink your own alcohol in the bar areas! but in the cabin you've paid through the nose for it shouldn't be a problem.

And why is it only foot passengers that are being targeted? if you come in by car you can take whatever you like onboard! even if you don't have a cabin.

One of the people this has happened to had a cabin, but had a bottle of wine confiscated from their hand luggage at the scanner before they got onboard and returned in the morning.

Of course you wouldn't drink your own alcohol in the bar areas! but in the cabin you've paid through the nose for it shouldn't be a problem.

And why is it only foot passengers that are being targeted? if you come in by car you can take whatever you like onboard! even if you don't have a cabin.

I would ask to be shown the term and condition that alows them to do this

Were they a Petrofac worker or similar.  I think I would make strong protests to Northlink and my MP/MSP if that happened to me.

• 7 months later...

^ Exactly. Coming so hard on the heels of an old Judge stating that last time round price trumped anything and everything else. I don't see any reason to think this time will be different.

We'll get whatever the lowest tenderer feels like giving, and we'll just have to like it. We have no say in it, the so-called "survey" will be ignored, whatever its findings produce. Its at best a PR exercise to con us that we are "involved and have input" - bowlocks, and at worst a cynical attempt to have a "in the survey you asked to have whatever..." scapegoat when something gets f**ked up again, as it will.

In fact, they could save a load of tax dollars by just skipping the whole tendering process and re-negotiating a price llowing for inflation for another few years with the same operator. We'll not notice any difference on the ground either way whoever they give it to next for whatever price.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry subject resurrection..

I had my bag scanned last year going South. One of the guys really loudly and a bit rudely insisted I had a " bottle". The other guy searched my bag but didn't find anything. The first guy just kept shouting that I had a bottle. He only shut up when I took out my mouthwash and showed it to him..

The second guy was wearing a Petrofac top. I explained I don't work for Petrofac and asked why he has authority to search my bags.

He just sort of muttered that he was helping out.

Coming North I have quite openly carried wine etc loads of times and never been questioned or stopped?

I also checked the terms and condition of carriage and alcohol isn't really mentioned.