peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

In fairness to Infiltrator, it may well decide on the breed/size of your mutts. We didn't really have a choice as we were moving up here but I definitely wouldn't take our two on the ferry again. That said, I think our old rottweiler would have been fine (but then she could sleep through anything).

^So how would you get them off the isle then?

The previous ferry had the kennels outside open to the elements on the upper deck - the kennels on the Northlink boats are luxurious in comparison.

Maybe I've used the kennels on the same ferry on my last 6 trips but I had no concerns about their conditions.

There's probably thousands of dogs that have been brought to Shetland over the years on the ferry and as far as I'm aware there haven't been any problems.

On the old Clair (3 I think), you could take the pets into the cabin :shock:

^So how would you get them off the isle then?

The previous ferry had the kennels outside open to the elements on the upper deck - the kennels on the Northlink boats are luxurious in comparison.

Maybe I've used the kennels on the same ferry on my last 6 trips but I had no concerns about their conditions.

There's probably thousands of dogs that have been brought to Shetland over the years on the ferry and as far as I'm aware there haven't been any problems.

Simple - we don't intend moving again so won't be taking the dogs on the ferry.

Whilst I appreciate that they may be luxurious in comparison to the previous boat, rusty cage doors that don't shut properly aren't acceptable. As I said, I did speak to SSPCA and they aren't 100% happy with them either and would like them upgraded/re-located.

Hopefully, the next boat will have larger cages located away from the car deck but on the same deck where you take the dogs to exercise them.

Glad your dogs travelled okay but unfortunately, one of mine didn't.

On the even older Clair (2) you could chum up the dockers to have the car swung on to the deck instead of into the hold and lashed on there. Didn't do much for car's paintwork but then you could just go and fetch the dog out for a walk any time and it had its own bed. And yes, wir peerie dug subsequently spent a number of voyages contentedly curled up in a cabin on the 3rd Clair. Changed days!

On the last Clair that left in 2002 the kennels were down a massive flight of stairs under the car deck. Our dog would happily walk down the steps to get to them, but wouldn't walk back up the steps the next morning.

On the Sunniva I seem to remember the kennels were on the open top deck bit near the stern.

Oh yeah that was it!

Thanks for the quick answers.

Some of the people are a little "scared2 by rough sea. Seeing that it's such a big ship will certainly comfort them. :D

PMSL - you'd better not watch the clips on youtube then of the ferry in rough weather. :wink:

Actually, before peeps think I have nothing but negativity regarding Northlink, I must say that the crossing was a lot smoother than I had anticipated it would be!