Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Guest Anonymous

Its not the crossing that is always the problem , it's quite often the wind direction & strength at the mouth of aberdeen harbour that will determine if the boat can make it in or not.

Guest Anonymous

The lights have to be kept on so people dont trip over something and then sue them for huge amounts of money.

The sue culture is to blame for a lot of the ridiculous levels of saftey that are enforced nowadays.

It has to be time that Aberdeen Harbour dealt with the problems larger ships have getting in and out of the port during adverse weather. Otherwise I really do believe that an alternative mainland port has to be found.

That said I suspect that some of the 2nd day cancellations are more to do with getting the ships back on the "right" schedule rather than weather or port closures.

Now we have the refit period coming up which of course makes the passenger service less convenient for travellers. Sadly I did not read the service specification when Northlink #1 took over the service but I do wonder if there was anything about taking ships out of service for refits. If not then the service specification calls for nightly sailings of passenger ferries in each direction in which case they should hire in ships to cover for the refit period.

Finally I think that next time the service comes up for tender there should be provision for single and double budget cabins. For me this year a cost comparison between the ferry and the plane proved that it was cheaper to fly.......so much for the concept of a lifeline service.

Well, I got a call from my auld folk (who were due to come down tonight on the boat) to tell me that they'd arrived early in Aberdeen this morning, as they'd been told there would potentially be no sailings until Sunday.

Alas, this left no time for me to clean the flat before work this morning. I expect they've probably retreated to a hotel in disgust by now, no doubt stopping off to get tetanus shots on the way, but that's another matter...

There is very little wind in Aberdeen either... it just seemed to be a lot of swell.

This is/was the beach:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/397704956_a9c8b749a8.jpg

And this is an oil supply boat arriving. The camera couldn't capture the excessive up and down movements it was making, even once it was well within the harbour wall:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/397704689_bb50b8b379.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/397704677_45bcfc681c.jpg

Well considering how many millions of pounds of our money this company eats up you'd expect more.

Regarding the weather, Shetlanders have been going out into North Sea conditions a lot worse than has been the case during NOrthlink's reign (and probably permanent reign!). We, or I, certainly don't expect the weather to be perfect for my trip. But i do expect to get from A - B. It should be the consumers that decide whether we want to sale or not, not some government owned company.

Those severe weather leaflets are pathetic!