Nettle roots wanted

I want to have a small nettle patch in the garden so that I can use them as a fertiliser.

Is there any growing wild, in South Mainland up to Lerwick, from which I can pinch some cuttings (or even some roots) to plant in our garden?

Thanks

are you mad?

Well each to their own. contemplaing trying to get a more effective flame thrower for ours.

We're too far away for you, but you could have quite happily taken away as much nettle root as you liked, a truck or two would have been good.

Thanks for the response.

Not mad; just want to try using the nettles as a fertiliser as seen recently on the telly and as per this article:

http://www.nettles.org.uk/nettles/activities/nettlemanure.asp

If I got a few roots, I would seek to grow them in a big container to stop the roots spreading. Just a thought.

Are you aware of any growing wild, in the south mainland, that I could at least pick some cuttings from?

It sounds as if folks think I'm a bit loopy actually wanting to grow some nettles. Having discussed it with my missus, she agrees with you also.

I may have to, thus, rethink this idea!

Thanks for the responses, though.

• 3 months later...

^^ We had some that survived and flourished for generations facing the Atlantic little more than a mile away, god knows what variety it was though, it had preceded me by at least a couple of generations, and I doubt they'd have known either. Probably a root begged/borrowed/stolen/swopped from someone else's garden or somewhere.

Used to cut it down when it flowered and feed it to the kye as a "treat", they loved it.