Simon King

Billy/T22

Well said, (though I'd have to change the summary to say that I appreciated it a lot in the first place)

The two thing that perhaps are overlooked here, Simon King has been a pretty much unsung cameraman as much as he's been a 'star' and has done some amazing filming in documentaries that many of us have watched without so much as a doubt as to their excellence, and so, I don't distrust his integrity as a guy who loves nature and loves Shetland - what's not to like, we are in a wildlife paradise. I've thought that since I could walk and still think it now.

Secondly, to the Beeb, Simon King is a product, and that product will be sold, and the idea of combining a fantastic wildlife location with a personal biography of a well-known, well-liked and amiable presenter and his family was great in its appeal. It was not so much a serious wildlife documentary, more a dramatisation, but it did have some superb footage within it, and yes, I did cringe a bit too, at times. (Episode 2)

And as has been said, it has done wonders for the tourist profile of Shetland, and it won't just last a year, as for every wildlife tourist who comes here to see a draatsie and succeeds, another will come again from hearing about it.

King also used local photographers for his book, which should be appreciated too.

I don't get the comparison with Oddie either, Oddie came here anonymously and went straight to Skerries to spot migrant birds for years. In Skerries he was just another guy, no-one special and nor did he try to be. I mind sitting in the Skerries hall at a do once and marvelling at how one of the Goodies was sitting at the back, while all the local notables were at the top tables. He never tried to capitalise on Shetland, or not in any highly visible way. Shetland is a birding mecca - those that bird flock to Shetland, pardon the pun, and he's a nutty birder.

As to the Snowy Owl, there was one in Unst the other weekend which caused quite a stir :wink: Some folk still do literally fly up here to catch a glimpse of a rarity, even in this jaded media-rich day and age. I'm peeved I missed it. :wink:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the greatest resources that Shetland has is its unspoiled wildlife. Simon King has done a great job in promoting tourism in Shetland. If only we could follow it up by keeping Shetlands profile high and the cost of getting here low, we could all do very well out of the tourist trade. The problem is that there is no political will to cash in on this potential bonanza as the money would be spread around much more evenly and not in the pockets of the few.

Oh by the way. On the few occasions that I had the chance to speak with Simon King he came over as a genuinly nice person who was fully aware of the luck he has had in converting a hobby into a career.

I thought the guy came off as a complete and utter crack pot, and when people ask me about Shetland the Simon King books/shows would be the last thing I'd point them to. The shows would have been great minus the Simon King in them.

... to see why everybody seems to be so against Simon King.

I don't think you are right on that. Most people seem to think he's a fine soul. I certainly am not against him as a person.

What I say is that the programmes were in the "could do much better" category. If they were the product of an amateur then the flaws would be excusable. Given that they are in fact from seriously professional big media, the threshold for unreserved praise is higher. To give the 100% thumbs up on something so flawed is, to my mind, saying that there is no point in people ever striving to do things well. Praising mediocrity lowers overall levels of competence.

People seem to think that because King is doing good for tourism, to criticise his product in any way is anti tourism. Not so.

pointless uncalled for criticism is exactly that, unneccesary and by most people on these forums, unwanted.

The programmes were highly flawed so I would say that they are fair game for criticism. Quite appart from the nauseatingly sacharine approach adopted, even the biological facts were at times woefully incorrect. As already noted the "using child as bonxie stick" incident was absolutely gobsmackingly insane.

For me it was the lack of life jackets on that child on the boat that did it for me in the first episode and the fact we all live in shacks with an outside loo.

I enjoyed watchin the programme and wouldna comment on Simon kings personality from watching him work on a managed bit of wildlife drama / educative tv show .

I would say he appeared very happy and enthusiastic in his wildlife pursuits, and I am happy that he is.

And as far as tourism is concerned in the Isles, I would rate it as an excellent bit of advertising publicity.

I look forward to a second series.

Guest Anonymous
... to see why everybody seems to be so against Simon King.

I don't think you are right on that. Most people seem to think he's a fine soul. I certainly am not against him as a person.

What I say is that the programmes were in the "could do much better" category. If they were the product of an amateur then the flaws would be excusable. Given that they are in fact from seriously professional big media, the threshold for unreserved praise is higher. To give the 100% thumbs up on something so flawed is, to my mind, saying that there is no point in people ever striving to do things well. Praising mediocrity lowers overall levels of competence.

People seem to think that because King is doing good for tourism, to criticise his product in any way is anti tourism. Not so.

I didn't say he was doing good for tourism, and I haven't seen the programs, so I guess there were flaws in the presentation. But, what I'm really trying to point out is the fact that everybody who tries to do anything to promote the good aspects of Shetland gets shot down in flames.

Simon King fell in love with Shetland, and did the best he could do to represent that. He may have failed in some respects, but at least he tried.

I'm sure that the next Shetland documentary we see on the BBC, by EM productions, will be far less flawed.

In other words, if you can do better, do it. :lol:

I think that Simon KIngs programmes were the best I've seen on Shetland, and his undoubted enthusiasm rubbed off on me, as regarding the nature around us, that most of us take for granted.

As for otters, I've seen loads of them all over Shetland, but mostly around Lerwick.Take a look at Selkies videos on You Tube.

Northlinks Bill Davidson has already said on Radio Shetland how much there bookings were up due to the programmes.

I didn't say he was doing good for tourism,

Well you could have done so rightly. The broadcasts have been very effective for that, measurably so.

But, what I'm really trying to point out is the fact that everybody who tries to do anything to promote the good aspects of Shetland gets shot down in flames.

Again, I think you are not quite gauging the general feeling correctly. I am in a very small minority on this matter. Most people seem to be completely oblivious to the issues which I consider sloppy, or don't mind them.

I'm sure that the next Shetland documentary we see on the BBC, by EM productions, will be far less flawed.

Oh but of course ;-) Only time will tell.

^^ I've lived in Shetland for over 46 year, almost all of it in the south end, and have yet to see an otter, despite having spent a lot of time on beaches and around the banks./quote]

I have seen Otters at Boddam, quite a few times, just on the offchance of driving past, not by actively seeking them out.

I don't think SK has done any harm for Shetland Tourism, in fact I think he did a darn sight better than that Clunes twit! :lol:

The fact is, on screen, Shetland will always sell itself.

Whether dodgy about detail (Kings series) or dodgy in every sense (Clunes's show) the "magic" of the place comes through.

Most people who live here know many, if not most, aspects of the isles intimately, so what will be minor innacuracies the filmaker may decide to let go, stick out like a carrot in an omlette.

But potential visitors will never know nor probably care, so for that all involved (King didnt do it himself remember!) should be commended. No-one can argue it is one of the more accurate protrayals despite the shortcomings.

GR - get desell a few hens, du will shún see da otters dan! :lol:

I've had various lots of tourists in today who were at the Town Hall last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some were surprised they didn't have to queue to get in. Some remarked on how the Town Hall was a lovely building - I suppose normally most don't get inside. Not sure if visitors are allowed to look round? From all accounts the hall was full, a few hundred they said, and one couple mentioned queuing for about 45 mins to meet Simon and get their book signed. They weren't unhappy to do that as they said that Simon had time for everyone, shaking hands and asking them questions.

Most tourists so far have mentioned Simon King and how much they enjoyed the series, so all in all, Simon and his enthusiasm for Shetland seems to have been very good for tourism and for general interest in Shetland.

Simon and his crew were around Northmavine quite a bit - the first place he stayed was at Benigarth at Sandvoe, North Roe then he moved to Sweening, Vidlin. The crew were at the Hillswick Hotel. You saw Simon setting off from the Eshaness café and making his UHA debut at the Northmavine UHA in the Hillswick Hall and he visited the otter at the Wildlife Sanctuary here in Hillswick too.

You can of course buy his book locally, but if you're buying online through Amazon, you could do worse than buy through the Northmavine Community Development Company's referral link ;) - it doesn't cost you any more and gives the NCDC a small amount from the sale towards community projects. Thank you.

Amazon NCDC referral link to Simon's book - http://bit.ly/di3ntk.