Stop The War Coalition in Shetland

xoni

There are so many different groups involved I wouldn't say any one has more pull now than another and the SWP certainly havent stood out to me personally since my involvement hence assuming wrongly you meant the SLP who actively affiliate themselves with the STWC and whom I, myself am a member of.

I'm sure if you google you'd find similar connections with all of the aforementioned. I think you'll also find John Rees is no longer associated with the SWP and although theres no denying they had a part to play in the formation of the STWC their influence was just one of many.

I'm finding it a little odd you should be going to so much effort and such lengths to discredit an organisation who effectively have no other motive than good, perhaps you could explain that? I totally understand you have your own views on the situation in the middle east but surely thats not a reason for this? I seriously hope you wouldnt be self obsessed enough to think that way because the STWC campaign dosn't begin and end in the middle east. If however it's the case that you are simply pro war then I suspect we will find very little else to talk about which would be shame.

So back to the point...the STWC isn't the SWP, it isn't run by the SWP but has abolutley no issue whatsoever with being associated with the SWP. You'll find a bazillion more pro articles than anti articles written on the SWP floating around the internet too as you would any political party, but well done on conveniently stumbeling across the negatives!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finding it a little odd you should be going to so much effort and such lengths to discredit an organisation who effectively have no other motive than good, perhaps you could explain that? I totally understand you have your own views on the situation in the middle east but surely thats not a reason for this? I seriously hope you wouldnt be self obsessed enough to think that way because the STWC campaign dosn't begin and end in the middle east. If however it's the case that you are simply pro war then I suspect we will find very little else to talk about which would be shame.

A lot of it is the criticism of Israel and you did start this thread with one sided criticism of Israel (and in bold! :-) )rather than a post about the need to end war which is why I posted all the links to organisations that take a more even handed and engaged approach to the ME conflict in my opinion.

And I admired you posting of views on the Hamas/weapons/blockade post which showed that you disagree to an extent with STWC's official line of complete end to the blockade regardless of potentially violent consequence (if I understood correctly).

In my opinion STWC is a bit of a misnomer considering what I see as one sided views on the Middle East conflict, a one sided view you appear not to totally share I am happy to say as your attitude is like mine, the need for both sides to talk and until STWC can stop demonising Israel I don't see their official line moving towards what appears to be our shared opinion.

I hope I'm not coming across as self obsessed, war in the Middle East does affect me directly but also many others and I have to say its STWC's view of Israel that seems to be obsessive. Demonising one side is not a good way to go about stopping war (if anything a good way to start one) which I am very in favor of.

So back to the point...the STWC isn't the SWP, it isn't run by the SWP but has abolutley no issue whatsoever with being associated with the SWP. You'll find a bazillion more pro articles than anti articles written on the SWP floating around the internet too as you would any political party, but well done on conveniently stumbeling across the negatives!

It was to point out the involvement rather than the criticism of their involvement. I feel that if the involvement of SWP was more widely known in STWC there would be far less numbers marching against the war in Iraq under its banner (public opinion was and is as such that they would have marched under a more even handed banner anyway) and less people perhaps buying into the demonisation of Israel and some of the more fundamental Islamic views on gays, women etc. (as I see it of course, I understand your opinion will not see it as such)

Essentially I don't see STWC as having "no other motive than good"

• 2 weeks later...

"Our aim is simple - to stop the 'war on terror' declared by the United States and its allies like the UK."

Why is STWC's site awash with anti-Israel articles but very little about Turkey's long running persecution of the Kurds?

Turkey is an ally of the US and a part of the coalition against terror. Could it be that because of the promenance of Islamic groups in the STWC this issue is passed over in favour of focussing on the Jewish state instead of an Islamic one?

• 3 weeks later...
All the Kurds want is a country of their own like the Palestinians, where are the pages and pages of anti-Turk opinion from STWC?

I agree completely with your highlighting of the disgraceful plight of the Kurds, particularly in Turkey. I wonder, though, if it would not be more appropriate to call for pages of anti-Turkish government opinion, rather than anti-Turk opinion? Although the latter could be considered to apply to either the Turkish people or the government/state, surely the former is more explicit?

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15635867

Where is the outrage STWC......? We're all waiting for you to stop this war on civilain protesters. Where are the marches, demos and voluminous rhetoric that so easily spring up against the er....less arabic neighbours in the Middle East?

Ah, here it is, just in time, the people of Syria are saved! Thank you STWC!

http://stopwar.org.uk/index.php/resources/stop-the-war-coalition-statements/890-no-foreign-intervention-in-syria

"It is for the people of Syria alone to decide their future and their government,"

Seems the people have decided, the problem lies with getting shot for doing so while hypocrites in self styled anti-war (but only anti the wars they disagree with politically mind you) groups say absolutely nothing.

• 3 months later...

yep the Syrian gov has killed more muslims in the last few months than the Israeli gov has killed in the previous few decades yet the silence from the STWC hypocrites is deafening. Quite frankly anyone that pays them the slightest bit of attention the next time they start harping is a mug of the highest degree.

But lets me make my position clear Assad is not his father and I reckon the only reason things have got to this stage is he is not as ruthless as his father was.

Saddam, Qadaffi, and Assad(senior) are the type of leader needed in the middle east as they are the only ones with the balls to control what is otherwise an uncontrollable region.

yet again interference from the west has led to anarchy in the region all in the name of democracy.

Egypt is in turmoil and only going to get worse, Tunisia the same. Libya is a virtual war zone but the media seem to have decided not to report on that,

So now we have Syria reported on every day until some damn fool in the west decides we need to get involved, then the fun will really begin.

The Arab mindset is completely different to ours and applying our morals and standards to them just won't work, democracy is something that they may embrace wholeheartedly in another century or 2 but certainly not yet.