Translators register

jenesequa

Just a thought that popped into my head whilst drifting off to noddy land,

I speak 2 asian languages and a smattering of various dialects as well apart from obviously english.Is there anywhere that may require translators (voluntary).

Ugh I forgot brain was all fogged up I speak Urdu and Sindhi fluently and can understand and converse a bit in Punjabit Siraiki and balouchi.

contact the council, not sure which department up here.

by law they are supposed to have translators available, these are used by vol orgs, police, medical staff etc. Though I must admit I've not seen them use anyone up here other than Herning, even then that was back in the klondyker years.

I think the legal requirement is normally fufilled via telephone translation, so not sure if there would be much of a demand given the numbers likely to need the service. However those attending tribunals at Islesburgh (Housing benefit, disability benefit etc) would need to have a translator present for the hearing, so you could contact the tribunal service regarding that possibility, I know they have a code of conduct that must be agreed to and possibly training required to be taken for court attendance.

The NHS is legally required to provide a translator if required, as are the police, courts, council and benifits office.

Speaking from experiance should a victim go to the police it is easier if they have a translator they can call on to be present to help rather than doing things down the telephone.

It's also easier for a health vistor to find out what they need to about how a child is doing, I had to find a persian translator once and the only non iraqi I could find at short notice was down the phone in edinburgh. But it's difficult to explain passing phones around.