words for water/sea conditions

Longdog

I've been asking around if there are specific words for water/sea conditions such as when it's a mirror calm, when there are white caps building, a big long gentle swell, short rough swell, but getting no joy.

I'm sure there must be as there's so many words for snow even though allegedly we hardly get any :lol:

So any wirds for me?

Kev

Guest Anonymous

Agree with MuckleJoannie on:

Black Calm (Although it's seldom seen in Shetland ;) and

A Grain o motion. That's just a gentle swell.

Thoughts of my own, likely spelled wrongly:

'A bummel o sh*te' - When it's not quite comfortable to be out in a boat. (Just imagine the Sumburgh Roost in a small boat)

'Liftin Swall' - The long heavy Atlantic swell, That will have different names in all areas of Shetland)

'Tide lump' - You really don't want to meet one of those in a kayak.

And one that I've only heard once before, and have no idea what it refers to: "A driven swall" (I think it may refer to a heavy swell which is being forced by a storm front, but that's just a guess)

Oh, and apologies to Muckle Joannie. I forgot to mention his "Kegly".

That's a difficult word to describe, in boating terms, but if you have a sudden urge to pee over the side of the boat, it's better not to do it on a Kegly sea. You might kegle ower da side, or at the very least lose control of the equipment in hand. ;)

Guest Anonymous

splendeed, owerweel, no sae gritt, braaly poor (sphinkter trouble), an bide ashore, depending on whether one prefers to go to sea apon a barrel stave or not

Agree with MuckleJoannie on:

And one that I've only heard once before, and have no idea what it refers to: "A driven swall" (I think it may refer to a heavy swell which is being forced by a storm front, but that's just a guess)

One I've heard only rarely - 'cross swall', i.e. two lots of waves travelling in different directions and meeting at an angle to each other. Dangerous if you're trying to launch a small boat from a beach, though that perhaps isn't so often done nowadays.

Flat as a fluke, cuggly, a stoor o'wind, a flyin gale, a night o' pure distress. Da P&O guys and gals had dir ain wird for any who succumbed to da elements and had a "techinicolour yawn." Dey were referred to as da "no-weelers." eg; "Been any no-weelers da night?"

• 1 year later...