Sectarianism

You are right k-b.

It appears Rangers are now taking the matter very seriously following the UEFA punishment and possible future punishment if it continues. dB was right in stating that it is sad that it took that for Rangers to take it seriously.

Celtic's chairman also recognised that they had a problem, and recently appealed to fans to stop the offensive singing. He was obviously worried that Celtic may face the same sanctions that Rangers were threatened with for the same thing.

However, during last night's match, following offensive singing by Rangers' 'fans' there was an announcement reminding the fans the songs they could sing, it was reported that this provoked the Rangers' 'fans' into singing even more offensive songs.

It was also reported that Celtic 'fans' were singing pro IRA songs at the Man Utd. match.

BOTH Celtic and Rangers have a very deep rooted problem, and it's obviously one that is going to be hard to crack.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a pub in Tooting in south London for the Celtic-Man U game on Wednesday night, and was absolutley astounded to hear the same bigoted bile about Rangers, proddies and the IRA, coming from cockneys wearing green and white, that I would expect to hear back home in Glasgow.

It's truly insidious and far reaching and I really wish you'd all just lumpsooker give it up. Both sides! Now!

I seem to mind being told some years ago that there was some kind of perceived sectarian alliance between Rangers and two English clubs. Pretty nuts when you think about it. I have a feeling which ones it was but i'm fairt to guess in case i get torn to shreds here.

I've never heard if the same applies to Celtic too.

as a teacher in the west of Scotland I come across on a daily basis young kids 12-16 who are so steeped in Protestant/Catholic bigotry and know for a fact they both sing songs of hatred every week at Rangers and Celtic games. Get a grip if you think they do not. They even sing them in the playground at each other

Could be difficult for those Celtic fans in the West of Scotland that are segregated from their friends by their parents at the age of 5 and put to a separate school to learn about how their faith is the one and only and told about the big bad proddies! That's the way, teach them early and make them wonder why they can't go to the same school as their mates. Get them to think that their pals (and others) are different and inferior. As I have mentioned before, I went to a non-denominational school from age 5 to 11 in Rutherglen and Blantyre, just outside Glasgow. I learned to sing on the bus on a school trip, "If you hate St Joseph's clap your hands" I was only 8 years old. The teachers did try to stop us, though. I had to run the gauntlet in the same town because I went to the 'wrong' school. I was constantly asked which school I went to. If there were no Catholic schools (or muslim or any other denomination school come to that) we would all perhaps learn to understand each other and have a bit more respect.

And folk are trying to blame football fans for sectarianism - unbelievable. It's like trying to constantly mop up the floor that's covered in water and doing damn all about the leak.

In agreement with Stan about splitting kids schooling up into their religions. Socially it would be so much better if they could get to know each other. However, the results from single denomination schools are generally much better, and because of the embarrassing importance laid on league tables this is the main argument for keeping them.

There is a real tension between maintaining the excellent educational standards of single denominational schools and educating young folk about the need for better acceptance of other faiths.

But when they do go to the same school, they hate each other anyway, so god knows :wink: how to move on.

I'm born and bred from the bigoted west of Scotland. Its not something I'm particularly proud of. (thanks to the Old Scum)In fact when I moved to Shetland a number of years ago the fact that no f*cker gave a t*ss about what foot you kicked a ball with was very refreshing.

There has been a load of pish in this thread about defending which side of the fence you sit. Truth is, I would be ashamed to be up to my neck in anyone's blood or to be defending a paramilitary song about the IR*.

Keep Shetland disease free from the Celtic/Rangers bigots

Likewise "drew", from near Glasgow. Shetland is a better place by being largely free from the narrow minded sectarianism that is found in some of the people in the west of Scotland.

The answer is clear - support Partick Thistle!

Likewise "drew", from near Glasgow. Shetland is a better place by being largely free from the narrow minded sectarianism that is found in some of the people in the west of Scotland.

You've taken that to far!

Are you appearing in Panto this Christmas :roll:

Quote from the Celtic v Rangers report in the Guardian today:

"...

Lacking in movement too, but this time in a cultural sense, were the travelling support at Parkhead who, in needless attempts at off-field defiance, indulged in ancient religious-related verse for virtually the entire 90 minutes. Uefa may have successfully excised The Billy Boys from the Ibrox songbook, but much work is still required to rid Rangers of their sectarian baggage.

The Celtic following were far from innocent, too, with chants that Le Guen is an "Orange bar steward", as inaccurate as they are archaic. Lennon was also fortunate to escape action after he ran the risk of inciting the Rangers fans by cupping his hand to his ear. Thankfully, at least the football retains an element of unpredictability from time to time; something Le Guen may be counting on in the coming weeks."

Seems like this problem is far from over despite UEFA's best attempts.

Good win for the Bhoys though :D

I think David Murray was right with his "90 minute bigot" statement, for most Rangers and Celtic fans religion is irrelevant outside football.

And actually the salute in the above picture was originally a facist salute created by the supporters of Mussolini and then later adopted by Hitler and Co (ask Paulo DiCanio). So thats fine then :wink:

If you ask a Rangers fan about that salute, they'll say it's the "Red Hand of Ulster".

That'll not explain why the first time I saw Rangers fans do that type of salute was to Spurs supporters ... who were waving the Star of David flag.

BTW, some Celtic fans are just as bad as some Rangers fans. Bigotry has no place in modern society.[/b]