Accomodation Barge

RugyDavy

Guest Anonymous
Am I missing something here - the Bibby Bergen was moored in Lerwick in 2001 for the gas plant shutdown over the summer.

http://www.originart.eu/features/gallery01_1/08.html

As far as I remember, there was no major crime wave, dramatic increase in single mothers or general breakdown of the local society :roll:

what damage could they do anyway ? theres break ins for drug money galore n squadrons of hoodies wrecking all in thier path anyhow, in fact a few offspring from a worker orientated gene pool might be better as some of the buffoons having younsters now

being right in the middle of the first construction and now bein on the fringes of the second , it appears theres no bother at all wi anybody about anything as it appears to me the Irish as a whole can get along wi folk civilly, it wont be until "good neighbours" arrive in force that animal behavior sets in , seen it all before

The barge though, is nothing to do with the construction of the Total Laggan Gas Plant. As far as I know, its just for the Aurora Gas Plant mod at Sullom Voe. Many of the people on it have been in Shetland for months already staying in hotels and B&Bs. The reason the barge is now being used is that the summer tourist season and the Hamefarin in particular have reduced the available accomodation. I think the majority of these folk are highly skilled commissioning engineers and technicans and the insinuation that they're a bunch of jolly Irish construction workers (Major piece of stereotyping on your part there btw) is very wide of the mark.

Many of them have been living in the town since last year so the impact should really be not noticeable, in answer to the OP.

I think that the construction workers for Laggan will be housed at a purpose built camp at Sella Ness. No idea how big itll be but it certainly wont be comparable in size or longevity to the construction of SVT.

Guest Anonymous

Many of them have been living in the town since last year so the impact should really be not noticeable, in answer to the OP.

without taking the bait laid there in the rest of it - there will likely be little or no impact for the vast majority at all , maybe a slight rise in pub takings , thats about it

• 2 weeks later...
First impact was that TAXI fares have gone up.

What's that got to do with the barge? Taxi fares are set by the Council and they program the current rate into taxi meters. Taxi companies and drivers have no control over fares as far as I'm aware.

First impact was that TAXI fares have gone up.

... drivers have no control over fares as far as I'm aware.

I was shocked to get a guy who seemed to think we were tourists and took us a route to bump up the fare. He got quite a shock when asked him where he was going and then objected to paying over a quid extra than we'd have expected to pay. It's a ploy I ken a few of the taxis in Aberdeen try if they think you dunna ken where you're going.

^^ Jeezo. I keen it happens sooth (I always slip in dat my car os oot o action when gettin a taxi sooth, I *think* it helps but widna keen in unkan places!) but am surprised it wid be tried here.

No many alternative routes really, and it widna tak long for even the greenest tourist to twig..

If a taxi driver here takes a more expensive route to get where you are going then take a note of both the drivers badge number and that of the car and either refuse to pay more than what the fare should be or pay what is demanded and get a receipt.

Of course private hire cars can set their own fares and, for example, might charge the same from Lerwick to Scalloway no matter which route they used.

Hmmmmm Didnt take long....

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/June/news/Man%20rescued%20from%20harbour.htm

A FORTY nine year old man is lucky to be alive after falling into the water at Morrison Dock, within Lerwick harbour, in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The man was pulled from the water by police officers and a member of the public near the Bibby Challenger floating hotel.

It is understood that the man fell into the water after returning from a night out. All emergency services including Lerwick lifeboat attended.

:roll: :roll: