Charitable Trust, independent of Council

marlin13

They should be blocked from funding VE.

Wishart will just have to go without his fat pay packet :wink:

Du’s fairly right dere - da windfarm directors hae signed da Trust up tae floatin a wave–ferm ida Burra Haaf and nae doot we’ll shune hear dat some-een fae da Trust ‘ll be stepping doon tae tak on da job o Project Co-ordinator we a basic salary o £70,000 a year.

Yeh, saw this and simply think that OSCR should bog off and leave Shetland to make its own decisions.

Typical Scottish heirarchy trying to interfere in Shetland's affairs and make Shetland fit their mould.....

I'm not saying things are perfect but think it's the people of Shetland who should make the decisons regarding any changes, if wanted.

OSCR is only upholding the charities law and by doing so is protecting the funds belonging to the Shetland people from maladministration. Because the trustees are refusing to follow their own legal advice as well as that of OSCR yet wish to remain a charity they are guilty of misconduct. They could of course ask not to have charitable status for Shetland’s money and then could spend the money as they please and of course be liable to tax.

Whilst I understand the regulators losing patience, I don't see the importance they seem to have put on stopping the referendum.

Lets face it, the chances of a referendum showing people are happy with the status-quo are surely pretty slim!

What is most frustrating of all, however, is that it looks as if the councilors will try to defend the position, invariably costing (wasting) a substantial amount of money.

The reality is that many council workers are heading into this winter having felt a very real day to day impact already to their wages and with varying amounts of uncertainty over their job in the months to come.

How will they feel when the councilors, as they often do, make decisions decisions costing hundreds and thousands of pounds, many of which the general public is blissfully unaware, thus rendering the "savings" so far meaningless..

There is only one way to save the CT, and it is exactly the same as the only way the council will save their targeted 26 million - keep the councilors as far away from the piggybank as possible!

Lets face it, the chances of a referendum showing people are happy with the status-quo are surely pretty slim!

Slim, but not zero. OSCR could not agree to a referendum as it left a possibility that the status quo would continue.

My view is Sandy C promoted the idea of a referendum to, yet again, procrastinate and avoid taking a decision.

There is only one way to save the CT, and it is exactly the same as the only way the council will save their targeted 26 million - keep the councilors as far away from the piggybank as possible!

Shame on the Sandy Clue(l)ness for further delays and his demonstration of his inability to listen to advice and guidance. Hearing him tonight on BBC Radio Shetland I was disappointed that he seemed unable to grasp the significance and consequences of what OSCR was saying.

Suppose it'll be a knighthood to celebrate his departure. :oops:

I wouldn't trust OSCR any more than I trust Edinburgh.....

I might not agree with everything Sandy Cluness has done but I do think he deserves a bit more respect for his years of service to Shetland.

Be careful what you're wishing for because before you know it Scotland will have grabbed every last penny of the oil funds and be using it to fund some "ned scheme" or "social cause" in Glasgow.....

OSCR has no right to interfere with the Shetland Charitable Trust,

This is money that belongs to Shetland & it was agreed when the Trust was established the way it would be managed.

Few of us agree if any , with the way some of the funds have been spent ,but one thing for sure most of us are better of because of it.

Sandy Cluness is a qualified solicitor & I’m sure understands the legalities better than most of us .

It’s not often that I support Sandy ,but like†Kavi Ugl†I do.

The only role that I could see OSCR play in this would be to ensure any money allocated to the many various organisations are spent correctly & do not end up some individuals pocket .

OSCR has no right to interfere with the Shetland Charitable Trust,

Unfortunately the law of Scotland says it does.

Sandy Cluness seems to think if we ignore all this it will go away. Regrettably if the SIC do this the prospects for Shetland would be catastrophic. OSCR has the power to freeze the SCT's bank account. Many organisations in Shetland rely on the SCT to help pay for their activities. The SCT funds the SRT, so the leisure centres would close. It owns the rural care centres so they might have to close and so on.

The SIC needs to admit defeat and stop messing about.

@Muckle - It seems to be systematic in Politics (local or otherwise), that most of these old guys in power, who are away-long past being any good to anybody - just refuse to go, or else they try to go with conditions attached.....

They should all go and lie down, or watch the 24 Hour News Channels :)

As I said before: A Buchan now runs Shetland, so maybe they are already doing that.... :wink:

Ah, but you see I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye and than just "obeying the law" and I suspect Sandy Cluness(and he is a qualified lawyer) and other councillors know it.

Gussie Angus has said publicly(Radio Shetland) that Edinburgh has been trying for years to get it's hands on our oil money.

OSCR are just picking a fight knowing that Shetland won't bend so that they can then grab control of our oil money.

Let the people of Shetland decide in a referendum.

Your conspiracy theories are all very entertaining, but the fact is that SCT is a charity, and as such it has to play by the rules, as set out and enforced by OSCR. By ignoring those rules, councillor-trustees merely risk losing the trust's charitable status. Then the trust will be liable for tax. You can't have it both ways - if you want the benefits of being a charity you have to live by the rules. This has nothing to do with anyone trying to get their hands on SCT's money. It's just about trustees' arrogance, foolishness and desperate desire to cling on to power as long as possible.