Charitable Trust, independent of Council

marlin13

The wind is free and unlike oil,gas,fish ect is unlikly to run out so it makes sense to me that this energy source should be captured and converted into something that we can use to power & heat our homes / offices thus, preserving  oil and gas for the generations that come after us. 

Nothing against windfarms per se neither for/against them but, it is unlikely that any of the output will be used to power OUR homes and, it's pretty naive to think that preservation of oil and gas for future generations is an issue for the developers.  Profit is the only issue they seek (and that appliest to the SIC/SCT as well).

I also find it hard to imagine how any revenue generated(sic) from the venture will be used to benefit the local population directly.

Sure, we will have incredibly useful(?) things like liesure centres/arts/music venues etc. but, what of the "ordinary joe" who couldn't give a damn about them.

I would wonder(not) if there might be a way to re-instate the persioners christmas bonus or, finance public toilets/bus waiting rooms etc..  I mean, we have been promised "bucketloads" of income.. Is it all going to be wasted on "airy-fairy, arty/farty" rubbish that has to import "skilled" personel in order to operate?

The "Nort Boat" is profitable by means of government subsidy and, wind farms for the same reason... 

What gets me is that for windfarms to be profitable(?) the hydro companies have to pay them over the odds for their output and, ultimately, so do we all via increased hydro bills..

The wind might be free but, everything else about their operation costs a fortune and, nauturally in this culture of greed, it invites a lot of "easy buck" type speculators.

When (not if) the government withdraws these subsidies, there will be all hell let loose and, Shetland will be flat broke because of it...

Don't "Put All Our Begs Into One Askit"

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, the incestously appointed bunch of mutual back scratchers suceed in consolidating and strengthening their grip on the money.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/12707-sct-moves-to-reduce-council-trustees

Personally I think everybody should start boycotting the business interests of all trustees, starting with the Spiggie Hotel. If they think they can ignore the public and do what they please with public property, relying on pedantically interpreting charity law, while ignoring their moral and ethical obligations, maybe they'll think again when the public ignores them.

The only thing that the "Charitable" trust (about as charitable as Hitler!!!) is independent of is the people that pay their council tax, and therefore their wages. They are parasites, looking out for nobody bar themselves. The sooner that they are shot down in flames, the better.

And the winner of the Shetlink Godwin's Law Award for Nazi Comparison goes to:

The only thing that the "Charitable" trust (about as charitable as Hitler!!!) is independent of is the people that pay their council tax, and therefore their wages. They are parasites, looking out for nobody bar themselves. The sooner that they are shot down in flames, the better.

Extra points were earned for: disproportionateness; superfluousness; no attempt to explain the analogy; factual inaccuracies; nonspecific accusations of abuse of position

See if asking everybody comes up with different numbers then:

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2016/05/19/campaigner-hamilton-says-people-feel-alienated-by-charitable-trust

BTW - Poll is half way down the linked page.

No doubt those with an interest to push a very specific outcome will attempt to vote multiple times to attempt to destroy the validity of the poll as has previously happened with ST polls, but the numbers who vote for the options we know they definitely don't want will tell their own story.

Edited by Ghostrider

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2016/05/19/campaigner-hamilton-says-people-feel-alienated-by-charitable-trust

"28 respondents who were questioned at the Market Cross in Lerwick, plus four who had been randomly selected and questioned over the phone" by an individual with a well known axe to grind / agenda, and the Shetland Times have made it the lead story on their website?

"He (Peter Hamilton) adds in a summary to the results of the questionnaire: “It seems self-evident that Shetland Charitable Trust in its current form, or in the new form it seeks, is no longer fit for purpose.”" and claims "the questionnaire had proven there was wide spread public mistrust of the organisation which has been blamed for a host of other shortcomings."

Nonsense! For someone with "a masters qualification in social science research" he must know that such a small sample can't be used to extrapolate anything of real meaning let alone "prove" anything.

It is roughly equivalent to a survey of 100,000 nationally, so how many folk should be surveyed to get a representative sample from 23,000 Shetlanders?

Certainly more than 0.145% of the population, particularly if you're going to make claims like "the questionnaire had proven there was wide spread public mistrust". At best you could say there was some evidence of a trend, but the research methodologies being employed by Mr Hamilton (and the Shetland Times) are so full holes you could drive a bus through them.

I'd be interested to read Mr Hamilton's "Action Research... statement of research validity" (anybody know where it's available?) as it "does not intend to measure the status quo, but aims instead to change it." It is perhaps no surprise that his findings show a trend toward changing the status quo, as that is exactly what he set out to do.

It seems to me that an individual, with a well known agenda, approaching individuals on the street to ask their opinion is troublesome in terms of validity, and the fact that the Shetland Times have chosen to frame their online poll in an article that validates his 'findings' and is dedicated to his point of view (apart from 2 sentences from Keith Massey) is also dubious.

If the Shetland Times were to put forward the pros and cons of each of their poll options then that would go some way to making the poll fair and equitable. However, the fact that they have provided no context apart from Mr Hamilton's opinion would seem to represent a bias on the part of the Shetland Times.

Furthermore, the wording of the Shetland Time's poll options is very poor. Some options begin with verbs such as "keep" and "have" and some don't, one option uses "composed entirely" and another uses "comprising entirely". It doesn't add up to anything approaching robust research.

I'm all for research on the subject but it gets my goat when individuals, action groups and the media use 'research' that doesn't tick the most basic of boxes and extrapolate the flawed findings to bolster pre-formed opinions.

Edited by Davie P