gormless gardener! :)

I've just started to try and do something with my garden and really don't know what I'm doing! Would love some advice about types of tree, bush, hedge etc would grow well here. Not really into flower beds. Have a blank canvas to work with. Just one little tree thing up in the corner and lots of grass! I also have loads of rubarb which I want rid of so if anyone wants any, let me know :) If anyone has any cuttings or little trees/bushes, that would also be really good.

The type of things I like are trees, evergreen bushes and shrubs, climbers (honeysuckle, ivy, roses), fuschias. Also those dark red bushes (no idea what they're called)

Anyway, if anyone can tell me the best things to start me off I'd be very grateful! :D

I would start by visiting some of the open gardens for inspiration.. Lea Gardens or Da Gairdins at Sand are amazing. For basic trees and shrubs Da Gairdins is the best, but does not sell plants. Da Gairdins also has a website.Lea Gardens is spectacular but more advanced. Plant sales are the cheapest place to buy plants. Internet is the best for bulk buy tree saplings, when I asked a tree nursery in Kent if their trees would grow up here they said they supply the garden centres up here! Cope do excellent trees and would be the best place for evergreens as I would not think they would travel from Kent very well! I think Lea Gardens also sells evergreens(others as well in their nursery). Frakkafield also has an open garden and sells trees and shrubs,was there the other day, a beautiful spot.If you are wanting to plant now they will be potted trees and expensive as they are in leaf and growing, or should be. If you wait till early spring you can get bare root trees a lot cheaper as they are dormant.

There are a lot of trees and shrubs that do well up here besides the 'usual' list, get The Impossible Garden by Rosa Steppanova from the library and have a read, you will be surprised what you can do.

When people hear you are starting a garden you will have lots of donations as well.

Where abouts are you? You could always come and have a look round ours, we've been establishing the 'garden' for 4 years and have lost a lot of trees and shrubs, mainly because I didn't want to wait for the shetler belt to grow first. But you'll be amazed at what you can grow.

Really it will be a case of just having a go - because I've had some of the same plants die in different parts of the garden.

Thanks everyone! :D Response has been great! Got lot's of messages from generous people and now have some bits and pieces in my garden! Also one of my neighbours has told me to help myself from his garden.

Since the response was so good, I thought I'd mention that I'd like a boarding school, cleaner, cook and personal trainer now! :D Ha ha (joke) Thanks again folk :D

• 1 year later...

am getting there slowly and hopefully by next year will be able to offer swaps with folk. one thing i could offer anyone if they want any is rhubarb :) still got loads i want rid of. got some fruit bushes on the go so hoping they'll spread a bit this year and can offer some out at end of summer or next year. let me know if you want any rhubarb :) anyone else with extra garden stuff. let me know. willing to pay. dont expect it all free :)