The real reason we're in Afganistan

What, you have a problem with the Afgans exploiting their natural resources?

I would also bet the house and car on any central African country having a lot more unexploited resources yet I don't see any NATO armies in there. Please could you explain why this is Vicky.

What, you have a problem with the Afgans exploiting their natural resources?

I would also bet the house and car on any central African country having a lot more unexploited resources yet I don't see any NATO armies in there. Please could you explain why this is Vicky.

You really think that the Afgans will be the ones to profit from this? I see it all being sucked up by America. And they don't need NATO armies in Africa to steal resources, I mean look at the state of Nigeria They just screw the place up so bad there is nothing the cripplingly poor people living there can do about it.

Yes they are paying huge amounts of money to a corrupt government, police force and army to stand by them and protect them as they plunder and pillage the land and livelyhoods of the ordinary Nigerian civilians. Shell bribe and payout to the insane & power hungry Nigerian leaders.

You really think that the Afgans will be the ones to profit from this? I see it all being sucked up by America. And they don't need NATO armies in Africa to steal resources, I mean look at the state of Nigeria They just screw the place up so bad there is nothing the cripplingly poor people living there can do about it.

The Nigerian government receive enormous amounts of money for their oil, no-one is stealing it from them. Nigeria should be one of the richest countries in the world, but the reason that their population is so poor is because their corrupt government and other people in power are salting away billions in Swiss bank accounts for their own purposes. It is NOT the oil companies or the western world that is causing the poverty in Nigeria, it is their own rulers.

^^ Exactly but the Nigerian people live in a state of poverty and the same thing will happen in Afganistan, it is a war being fought for profit and monetary reasons, the governement and officials will only make up a very small percentage of any nation, and the superpowers, USA, Britain etc will exploit those few to the detriment of the ordinary Afghan people, they disguise it as a war on Al-Queda alone but the long term goal as always is to expoit natural resources.

The Nigerian government receive enormous amounts of money for their oil, no-one is stealing it from them. Nigeria should be one of the richest countries in the world, but the reason that their population is so poor is because their corrupt government and other people in power are salting away billions in Swiss bank accounts for their own purposes. It is NOT the oil companies or the western world that is causing the poverty in Nigeria, it is their own rulers.

Yes but what about the other resources that the oil companies have indirectly ruined, many people used to rely on agriculture and fishing, but now the oil is polluting the water and killing the fish and the flaring is causing acid rain which destroys the crops. Taking away their livlihood and propping up the corrupt government, I think that makes them very responsible for many people's poverty.

But back to Afganistan, do you think that oil companies will pay large amounts of money to their government for the privilage? If American companies are seen raping their country for resources, the people of Afganistan will only be more likely to turn to the extremists.

^^I expect the oil companies will do the same as they do in all of the other countries, which is to pay for the licences, pay royalties, and pay tax where appropriate. They're not going to be able to suck oil out of the country for nothing, and they can't do that anywhere else in the world either.

And what does this say about the morality of the oil companies?

Oh, sorry, I forgot. International corporations don't have any morality.

But seriously, can you think of a better indicator of the fact that capitalism as it currently exists, is seriously broken. The mere fact that an international corporation, a western* international corporation will willingly do business with, and support, such a corrupt regime shows, quite clearly, that the whole economic system we depend on is seriously broken, if not actually evil.

* Aren't we supposed to be the good guys?

^^You have a point there. Corporations generally have little morality, if any, and their main purpose for existing is to provide profits for their shareholders. That in itself isn't evil, but the way it's carried out is frequently immoral. How to control or improve that, I really have no idea.

It's interesting that Shell would like to exit Nigeria if it can sell its assets to someone else, but that's mainly because they are fed up with the difficult operating conditions i.e. vandalism and kidnappings, rather than having anything to do with morality.

But my original point was that the oil companies are not "stealing" the resources from the "poor" countries, they are paying for the privilege in various forms, although the morality of it may well be called into question in many cases.