His idea of an independent Shetland sounds very good in theory but, while I myself am behind it, I am not sure if there is enough support from the general Shetland population. It seems like there are plenty of people who want to see him fail and also many who don't believe that an independent Shetland is feasible in a financial sense.

I won't be in Shetland on Monday to hear his declaration but I wish him all the best and hope that at least some people turn up to support him.

^^ What he stands for I agree with in principle, I just don't care for his methods or apparent meglomaniac attitude.

The majority of his methods so far have been ridiculous and absurd in a lot of people's opinion, and arguably have done more to make the job harder for anyone else trying to take the issue forward than anything else, by effectively turning the whole thing in to a figure of fun.

In what very little direct exchange I've had with the man, I found him unwilling to discuss or debate his chosen subject, he came off as a "my way or the highway" kinda fellow. You either lapped up the gospel as preached by Calamity, or you walked away. Not a healthy situation IMHO.

^^ Yeah I see what you're saying. Its just a pity that no one else seems to be doing anything about it. Maybe if his campaign got a bit of support a more sensible person could step in to take the idea forward, although if he is a 'his way or the highway' kind of person then that doesn't seem very likely.

I've spoken to the man too and he assured me he would be quite willing for someone else to take up the baton.

what does come across when you speak to him is a stunned disbelief that we could allow this situation to carry on when we have always had the means to be rid of the UK's interference in our affairs.

One thing you should all remember is he no longer pays any kind of tax to the UK parasite

One thing you should all remember is he no longer pays any kind of tax to the UK parasite

Road tax? I ken the man and you're talking... rot.

This is probably a good example of the problem with what seem like good basic principles.

As I have already said (like many have) it is the methods used that have caused ridicule, rather than the intentions.

Making up a car registration, ignoring the planning/building consent, refusing to pay taxes etc are all good ideas to highlight the legal issues. But of course, day to day, we need our cars to be insured for all manner of reasons, and as such they need to be taxed etc etc hence why Stuart (I assume) drives his UK registered, licenced, car.

I am curious about the difference between declaring myself a Sovereign Shetlander and becoming a resident of Forvik.

Ironically, the Forvik idea, to me, was easier to grasp, since it was a seperate address under which you could refuse UK taxes, use to run a business etc.

I would have thought the Forvik experiment is still (especially since the suicidal stunts died down and were replaced by correspondance and charges were brought down to a more sensible level) working well. 730 days as of today without legal challenge is worthy of note. So why not continue and build on that rather than get distracted with some other venture?