Afraid you are wrong GS - new law came in or comes in this month - ALL vehicles now have to be insured, whether off the road or not.

I was not aware of that - and don't see how it can be effectively enforced.

I mean, I own a couple of old motorbikes, in bits in boxes, and I have to insure the bits (effectively)?

And what about all the old vehicles dotted around the place in sheds, etc. not been on the road for years and not likely to be for years to come?

Seems like a strange one to me - requires further investigation.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/800406588/car-insurance-laws-will-change-in-spring/

Aha, my friend got it wrong - I will have to let her know. Looks like the change is that you must advise Swansea said vehicle is off the road because if not, you have to insure it!

Apologies for that - I took what my friend said as true.

To keep posts in order:-

OK, here is the information direct from Carole Nash (my motorcycle insurers):-

ANY vehicle has to be EITHER

1. On a SORN declaration

or

2. Taxed/Insured

On SORN you can still choose to insure it or not - it is entirely your choice. My old bikes in bits could NOT be insured in their current state anyway - but I don't have to worry about that in any case.

There is a SLIGHT twist in the new legislation, in that (and I quote):- 'If you have a vehicle that is not insured, but which is still taxed, you could face a penalty.'

I presume this is to stop folk insuring their car so they can get a tax disc, then cancelling the insurance but still driving around with a tax disc in their window - and fooling most folk into thinking they are all legal.

So, simple rule is if you can cel the insurance over the winter (for example) you must also cancel the tax disc AND declare SORN for that same uninsured period.

Makes sense, but the paperwork is HORRENDOUS in this country compared to most others in Europe.

Bring on my Forvik number plates :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Just getting back on topic there.... ;) )

It appears, all that has happened in the bobdahog case, is that he forgot to Road Tax the vehicle...

The intention it seems, was that the vehicle was always to be driven on public roads and not stuffed away in some byre at da back o da hoose or in the West Dock Museum.

Result: Fine levied legally on bobdahog and for him to thank his lucky stars, there was no mishap with the car, requiring an insurance claim to be made.... :wink:

^ ^ ^

Oak trees do not arrive fully grown.

You don't grow any by repeatedly planting an oak tree leaf either.

Possibly as deep a metaphor as has been used on Shetlink. Great stuff.

Though, to be awkward, a leaf is really a cutting, of sorts. Aahh..... :wink:

^^ All this talk of trees and leaves is really sapping my energy levels. :wink:

I'm bowed down with it all, and if we could get back to the root cause of our discussion, without people barking at me, Stuart is trying to prise us out of the cleft we find ourselves in, formed by the branches of our current government.....

Sorry, had to do it... ;)

Mr.Hill, a couple of points I would like to raise. Is the vehicle insured sufficiently to ensure that if you harm someone while driving within the Shetland Islands (no matter who owns them) then the person you harm will be compensated?. This is bearing in mind that many insurance companies offering insurance in what they consider to be the UK are using the fact that an otherwise perfectly roadworthy vehicle is not considered to be insured if it does not have a valid tax disc and mot certificate. And just where does President Obama come into all this?.
While I still wait for Stuart to answer my points I would like to point out that my question on insurance was based on the moral issue of having an uninsured vehicle and the possibility that anyone injured by it (including having it blown onto them if it is parked somewhere) might not get compensation for injury to themselves or damage to their vehicle.

Mr.Hill, a couple of points I would like to raise. Is the vehicle insured sufficiently to ensure that if you harm someone while driving within the Shetland Islands (no matter who owns them) then the person you harm will be compensated?. This is bearing in mind that many insurance companies offering insurance in what they consider to be the UK are using the fact that an otherwise perfectly roadworthy vehicle is not considered to be insured if it does not have a valid tax disc and mot certificate. And just where does President Obama come into all this?.
While I still wait for Stuart to answer my points I would like to point out that my question on insurance was based on the moral issue of having an uninsured vehicle and the possibility that anyone injured by it (including having it blown onto them if it is parked somewhere) might not get compensation for injury to themselves or damage to their vehicle.

You would probably be able to get compensation via the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau) who, in turn, would pursue the uninsured driver/owner of said vehicle.