I might not agree with SH 100% but I can't wait until Shetland collapses and the tumbleweed is rolling down the streets because only then will the people who laughed and mocked Stuart for at least trying to get the noose removed from our neck realise that what he wanted, and was fighting for, was no bad thing.

Laugh and mock away though.....

Are you a soothsayer Kavi?. You seem hellish sure that Shetland is definitely going to fail as part of the UK, is it not a possibility that the tumbleweeds may go rolling down the street in an independent Shetland. Maybe it's that doubt that is why Shetlanders have no real support for an independent Shetland which is why folk don't get behind Stuart.

Just a thought.

...I can't wait until Shetland collapses and the tumbleweed is rolling down the streets because only then will the people who laughed and mocked Stuart for at least trying to get the noose removed from our neck....

You really think things are that bad :shock:

I might not agree with SH 100% but I can't wait until Shetland collapses and the tumbleweed is rolling down the streets because only then will the people who laughed and mocked Stuart for at least trying to get the noose removed from our neck realise that what he wanted, and was fighting for, was no bad thing.

I'm not knocking the man for trying, in fact I give him full marks for that. For doing anything that can possibly make any difference whatsoever, I have to give him less than zero though.

How long is he going to keep on doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome, when its gone nowhere in the last 8 years. Isn't that more the definition of insanity than of a sound plan?

I'm all for Shetland having more local control and as light connections with remote central Government as possible, but if it happens it'll be despite Hill, not because of him.

In my personal experience the man refuses to discuss or debate what he's about. If you ask a question, you might get an answer, but try and come back at him about something in his reply, and he's gone. That IMHO is not healthy. He is also frugal in putting forth comprehensive information of what he's about, his rhetoric is all about the wrongs of history, which some of us already knew most of, then he jumps right forward to the present and "tells" everybody the only way to right these "wrongs" is to take over holms and drive around in vehicles with notices pinned on them, and stop paying taxes. That to my mind is the equivalent of asking him "I have no money, what should I do?", and he answers, "steal some".

It is the situation at hand, and the solution to it oversimplified to the point of absurdity and ridicule.

If he wants to be taken seriously, he needs to put forth comprehensive information of the exact legal status of Shetland and Shetlanders before 1468, then a timeline explaining all the twists and turns that have occured between then and the present. Then he needs to put forth equally comprehensive information on the alternatives available to Shetland and Shetlanders right now. And most importantly he needs to make himself available and willing wherever and whenever to discuss and debate any and all points anyone may raise, to their full conclusion. Its all very well holding meetings about Udal law in halls and running "conferences" in the Museum, but not everyone can attend and if his attitude is the same during those as it is elsewhere, many more are very likely to believe they're wasting their time, as they'll be expected to listen to his prepared speech, be grateful then go home.

To be honest, if you disregard the "cause" for a moment, and look at his "actions" as stand alone, his behaviour comes off like a bad 'Last of the Summer Wine" script.... Is it any wonder folk mock and ridicule, when he's making such a good job of setting himself up for it. They might well overlook it if they were seeing progress or results, or at least had the first clue how his behaving in such a way "could" bring them, but I don't think anybody unless Hill himself could tell anyone "how" that's supposed to happen, and so far he's not been very good at imparting that information to the masses.

The thing that really gets on my last la la la though, is that any mention of devolution, autonomy, independence, Crown Dependency or what have you for Shetland = Stuart Hill, and Stuart Hill = a figure of fun, so any hope of having the whole subject taken remotely seriously by anyone has been sent straight out the window by him, and the longer he carries on reminding folk of Compo the longer after he's done it'll take for the subject to lose the taint he's put on it. That can benefit nothing and no-one.

Edited to include quote.

...I can't wait until Shetland collapses and the tumbleweed is rolling down the streets because only then will the people who laughed and mocked Stuart for at least trying to get the noose removed from our neck....

Shetland as anyone knows it, is doomed, with or without Hill or enhanced local control. Anything achieved now is far too little far too late, the rot is far too far advanced to be halted. We've lived by an unsustainable false economy for 40 years, the crash will come, sooner rather than later the way local government is playing it right now. It may not be the end, but if I had to predict the future, I'd be very much surprised if in 100 years the population is any more than the 5000-10000 mark, 99.9% residents of Lerwick/Scalloway and the vast majority either transplants or descendants of transplants during the previous 150 years.

Here's another self styled revolutionary who thought he could just ignore the judge and the law.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/robbie-the-pict-is-jailed-1.748778

I was wondering what had happened to him, he's be at the same kind of antics as Hill, but for very much longer. He's not exactly making much progress, is he.

:( Anyone who can't wait to see Shetland collaps to prove some sort of point is as daft as those who drive around in vehicles believing themselves to be above the law.

Here's another self styled revolutionary who thought he could just ignore the judge and the law.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/robbie-the-pict-is-jailed-1.748778

I was wondering what had happened to him, he's be at the same kind of antics as Hill, but for very much longer. He's not exactly making much progress, is he.

He was at the forefront of getting tolls abolished on the Skye Bridge

Yes, as Ghostrider says, the end for Shetland as things stand will come. The only things keeping the present Shetland "afloat" are Sullom Voe, the SIC and what's left of the fishing industry. The salmon industry might survive if the EU, SNH, RSPB, WWF et al don't get their final goal of turning Shetland into one massive uninhabited nature reserve but time will tell.

A taste of what's to come is months away when the SIC cuts start to bite but as most folk agree the SIC as we know it should never, ever have been allowed to bloat to its present pointless size.

In relation to SH, as I've said before I believe he has gone about this all the wrong way but at least he tried to do something which is more than can be said for the rest of us, me included, and for that I'm not prepared to critisize him.

In relation to SH, as I've said before I believe he has gone about this all the wrong way but at least he tried to do something which is more than can be said for the rest of us, me included, and for that I'm not prepared to critisize him.

I will credit him with bringing the subject to the forefront again, and stimulating debate in it, which has probably made far more people aware, and informed many more, that wouldn't have otherwise happened.

I just wish that now, after eight year of it and both folk and the subject being tired of him, and the only progress having been made is in his own head, that somehow he'd be convinced to quit before he gets any further behind. Particularly as the debate has long since move don from the subject itself and on to him and his behaviour, and he's gone from having been at the very least entertaining/amusing to being annoying/a nusiance, leaving the only place for him to yet go on his present course is to start causing actual harm.

Yes, that's the unfortunate truth - it has now become more about him and his antics than the issue itself.

Hopefully though, at the very least he has made people (more)aware of the issue in light of the proposed SNP referendum on Scottish Independance but whether that makes any difference or not is yet to be seen.

A taste of what's to come is months away when the SIC cuts start to bite but as most folk agree the SIC as we know it should never, ever have been allowed to bloat to its present pointless size.

Couldn't agree more. the constant excuse used is that it helps the local economy ! I'm sure it does, but I'm also sure that if the same amount of money was used over the years to support, grow and retain local businesses they would have employed as many people. Many of our industries could then have been in a stronger and better position to deal with the hard times to come.

Of course cuts are not unique to Shetland, they are happening all over, so would we be in a better position as an independant state or whatever ? I have no idea. The problem I have is the idea of an independant Shetland seems to be just that, I don't have enough knowledge or information to consider it one way or another. It's the same for an independant Scotland.

I feel with both we are being sold a dream with not enough information as to how they can possibly work and how we will all be affected.

The problem I have is the idea of an independant Shetland seems to be just that, I don't have enough knowledge or information to consider it one way or another. It's the same for an independant Scotland.

I feel with both we are being sold a dream with not enough information as to how they can possibly work and how we will all be affected.

Deja vu. I seem to recall the same criticism being made often around 40 years ago.

And we can review and judge how 38 years of EU membership has treated the country, after that vote went the way the politicians "told" the electorate to vote. :evil:

Well, I ken I've been slated for suggesting we return to Norway but just yesterday I arrived back from there and I have to say the contrast is staggering.

I couldn't believe how thriving and throbbing with life Norway is. I ken it's the summer but even so, the place was a hive of prosperity with, as an example, numerous new tunnels in mid-construction, an enormous bridge being built across Hardanger Fjord and a new tram system under contruction is Bergen. We can't even decide on one....and on top of this there's a thriving shipbuilding, fishing and oil industry. The whole place was reeking of prosperity.

I met a Norwegian lady on the same flight and as we spoke she asked me what I personally felt would be best for Shetland's future. So, I told her that I feel that Shetland's place is back with Norway and explained my reasons why. She replied by stating "I also feel the same"....