Like I said before... this could all be a guise to TRASH the idea of an independant Shetland... and I do wish it wasn't called SOVEREIGN shetland, independant sounds much better...

If independence doesn't work than we should stick to one issue which is the whole problem with the world - MONEY

Change the way money works and everything changes... this is possible here on Shetland...

(** mod edit - fixed the link url **)

Running this conference during the week (not the best time) :? Stuart Hill behind it (not a good name) :roll: badly attended by the so called 'speakers' themselves!

The dumbing down of people in general... best to stick head in sand...

People have had enough of politics/ don't trust politicians or anyone else involved in governing people...

This was the final icing on the cake - the idea will be trashed now and no more will it raise it's head, any idea of independence will be linked to this event and the man behind it. It's very clever what can be achieved with a few stunts and badly attended events. Was this just an event organised by the powers that be to see how many people would be interested? And names and addresses were taken no doubt?

Click http://truth11.com/2010/07/05/video-captures-undercover-%e2%80%98agent-provocateurs%e2%80%99-assaulting-man-at-montreal-protest to see how peaceful protest events can be intentionally interrupted by paid 'provocateurs'.

I am very suspicious of this entity 'Stuart Hill' - if this subject does go silent then we know that this idea is important...

Running this conference during the week (not the best time) :? Stuart Hill behind it (not a good name) :roll: badly attended by the so called 'speakers' themselves!

People have had enough of politics/ don't trust politicians or anyone else involved in governing people...

This was the final icing on the cake - the idea will be trashed now and no more will it raise it's head, any idea of independence will be linked to this event and the man behind it. It's very clever what can be achieved with a few stunts and badly attended events. Was this just an event organised by the powers that be to see how many people would be interested? And names and addresses were taken no doubt?

Click http://truth11.com/2010/07/05/video-captures-undercover-%e2%80%98agent-provocateurs%e2%80%99-assaulting-man-at-montreal-protest/ to see how peaceful protest events can be intentionally interrupted by paid 'provocateurs'.

I am very suspicious of this entity 'Stuart Hill' - if this subject does go silent then we know that this idea is important...

Click http://truth11.com/2010/07/05/video-captures-undercover-%e2%80%98agent-provocateurs%e2%80%99-assaulting-man-at-montreal-protest/ to see how peaceful protest events can be intentionally interrupted by paid 'provocateurs'.

Kept trying to post it!!

Damn - won't let me post it! LOL

http://truth11.com/2010/07/05/video-captures-undercover-%e2%80%98agent-provocateurs%e2%80%99-assaulting-man-at-montreal-protest/

to see how peaceful protest events can be intentionally interrupted by paid 'provocateurs'.

Most ordinary Shetlanders are just not interested in "conferences" of any kind and especially one that seems to be so vague and mis-guided.

It is true though that Shetland is a very politically lazy place and this is probably due to the fact that British and Scottish politics is irrelevant to Shetland, despite the fact it does affect our lives - allbeit in a mostly negative way. In other words, we've just switched off.

Another reason is that, as a community, there's been too much oil money sloshing around and so Shetlanders have become complacent about what's happening to the foundation i.e the fishing industry for example.

I'm not sure what the answer is but perhaps a revived/new Shetland Movement might interest folks and have more respect and following - if they have and promote a clear mandate.

I wonder how an RNP(Return to Norway) party would do.....?. Almost 1500 people have signed the Norway ferry petition and even if you subtract, perhaps 250 non-Shetlanders who signed it, that would be 1250....

:wink:

20 people out of 20,000.... so 0.1% wants a sovereign shetland,...

Erm...! You are assuming that all those who attended are in agreement with the aims of Sovereign Shetland. I was at about half of it, but am certainly not in even broad agreement with most of the ideas. This was understood and, despite having previously called for Mr Hill to be Asbo'ed, I was treated quite civilly. Having said that, I think most of the others were on board. Certainly most were happy enough to be in the group photo.

The most interesting aspect of the whole thing was when, close to the end of the final session, a (relatively) large group of 100% bog-standard salt of the earth/sea Shetlanders entered the room. They apologised for having missed the conference and proceeded to suggest a number of quite smart and sensible ideas which had hitherto not been addressed amongst the more vacuous and impractical discussions. Quite a classic moment.