Save Scalloway School

here here ghosty, but it still does not explain why they have to move into specialy refurbished offices for less than a year before moving yet again. What it does show is that anyone who spends other folks money should be scrutinised very closely and held to account when the spending is unnessesary, sell their house out from under them if it is shown that the spending was not needed, and sack the useless buggers at the same time.

then ship them back out the sooth mooth if thats where they hailed from without a cabin on the boat.

Lol, Dinna hed back noo !!!

Of course the new offices will be brawly plush as weel, nithin but the best, but never mind dey will have plenty o room in dem, as I dont see how dey can afford tae keep on aa dis staff. Hopefully da new chief will pit da brakes on before Shetland is steered intae a brick wall. !!!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed a bit on my last post.

I think it widda been better if the council sold the fort road offices to Hjatland who could then have provided even more much needed houses when they knock down da picture hoose and the excelsior. The money from this could go towards helping to save the schools.

Drifting off topic fellows - isn't there a general 'mumping-and-groaning-aboot-da-cooncil' thread somewhere?

But while we're on the topic:

New offices 'brawly plush' - I suspect they're little more than up to current standards. That in itself is a disgrace of course, council staff should be kept in mouldering shacks to remind them of their lowly status and to make the rest of us feel better about ourselves.

'Ship dem oot da sooth mooth' - damn right, local jobs for local people nae dirty furriners here.

Depending on lawyers to produce social background reports - no a bit like setting a vampire to look after a bloodbank Ghost? Lawyers can draw out a sob story right enough, but remember the social worker's job doesn't stop the moment the accused strolls out of court - the poor sod's work is just beginning at that point, unlike the lawyer who can cheerfully wash their hands of the whole grubby business - as soon as the cheque clears.

A teacher thinks there's too many staff in Hayfield? Well hold the front page. The ratio of EO's to teachers is set at a national level, I don't think our ratios are any worse than anywhere in scotland. But never mind, peerie Davy Cameron is going to set you free from the 'bureaucratic monopoly' hope you all enjoy doing the backroom stuff by yourself, for free, under his new Swedo-capitalist vision.

what the hell... scalloway school should not be closed down .. the children there are well educated with the finest teachers and there is a low bully rate and violence and crime etc.....

you people should stop thinking about yourselves and think of the children.. they are not wanting to go to the anderson as it is too big and too packed already!!! soooo yeaaaah there

• 5 weeks later...

SIC are holding a public meeting at Scalloway Junior High School on Tuesday 21st September, starting at 7pm. The meeting is open to everyone, but especially anyone with an interest in education (primary and secondary) in the Burra, Trondra, Nesting, Tingwall, Whiteness, Weisdale and Scalloway areas.

This meeting is part of the statutory process for their proposed closure of Scalloway Junior High.

Officials form the Education Department will be there, and all issues raised will become part of the consultation.

It is your chance to have your say and the more people that attend, the more chance there is to influence the future of education provision in the central mainland.

The closure proposal document fails to justify the closure on educational grounds, and any claimed savings are not substantiated.

More info at http://www.savescallowayschool.org/

Do pepole on her agree thath good schools a vital for a small comunity to surive?

And do pepole agrea thath schools with less student per. teacher gives results ?

And if the council want to save money why not start with them self they are payed over 16k a year pluss expenses and with 22 councilers it adds up.

And if it close maybe they should take a tip from the lib-con and open a free school, then it is up to the local community how the money is spend insted of councilers who maybe spread the money earmarket for schools on other things

The meeting tonight was attended by approximatley 350+ parents and pupils who all contributed excellent opinions and questions to the panel attending. I dont think many of our points were met with valid answers from the members of the council or education department on the actual reasons for closing Scalloway Secondary School.

I was at the meeting and I have to agree with an AHS teacher I spoke to afterwards who said that the SIC panel made a very poor job of selling the AHS to the attendees in the face of constant unjustified criticism.

Do the same people who object to their bairns having to rise earlier to get the bus for the AHS really want to send their bairns to Brae or Sandwick rather than the AHS? And the SIC is under no obligation to provide them with transport if they opt out of going to the AHS.

MuckleJoannie

We also were at the meeting.

I agree with you that the SIC team put up a poor performance.

However I disagree with you about the criticism being unjust.

The points made by the parents, children and comunity members were on the whole succinct, rational and well constructed, very much unlike the council performance throughout this whole affair.

The questions asked were also to the point and by and large un answered by the council team.