Bairns on Facebook

I am the mother of a 10 year old too and I won't let him on (not that he's even remotely interested). There is a reason they have a minimum age of 13. I won't accept friend requests from anyone under that age either (two of my cousins, aged 9 and 7, both have Facebook accounts and I think it's plain wrong).

Mine isn't allowed to have her own fb account, I do let her have a bebo account but only as I get notifications for EVERYTHING that goes on, we do have a compramise she has access to my fb, there is a warning there on my page saying so.

She has her own Neeps account - but the admin and I discussed it before she was given permission. She's never shown any interest in shetlink.

I felt quite justified in my approch when she had trouble with one of the lasses on bebo. A peerie reminder that I got the notifications and that I knew both her parents, really seemed to do the trick.

But it does get hard, I keep trying to remind her it's only a year away till she's old enough. But many of her friends have fb accounts, which she finds quite frustrating, but as I field her friends drunken IMs at 2am I feel a wee tad more justified, and do wonder at what their parents think they're upto.

I did let my 11 (she's now 12) year old have a FB & Bebo accounts, mainly to keep in touch with family outwith shetland, which at first it started off as, but it became much more than that and I ended up deleting both accounts both for her getting nasty messages and seeing some not so fine comments she posted. All her classmates had FB accounts and were friends with me, when I deleted her account I deleted them from my page too. I always had her password and checked her page regularly.

I feel if you have the computer in the room where there is always an adult present and they are fully supervised as to who they are friends with or chatting to it can be fine. I worry more about the chat rooms and bairns that have laptops in their own bedrooms unsupervised, i find this a bit un-nerving especially with the use of webcams!

At 33 I'm feeling old if I wanted to speak to a friend when I was a kid I went round to their house, I didn't facebook, bebo, msn or text them. These days if you try to refuse a bairn any of that the world suddenly comes to an end. Not only do they have to have all the aforementioned they have to have them on a hugely expensive mobile phone so they can contact everyone while they're sitting eating their lunch or on the bus. When a bairn wants to play football these days they text their pal and ask what time they're signing in to x-box live.

By allowing under 13's on facebook you are allowing them to lie, as you would have to put a false d.o.b to get on. I don't think that allowing children to lie is a good thing and is something I tell my daughter I am much against.

Maybe I'm being petty for not allowing her on when so many of her friends are on, and that fact that she might be teased for not being allowed to do certain things is a shame also, and one that makes me think should I let her or not, but then think no, its not right. Its not easy knowing what to do for the best for your children at times.

Guest Anonymous

the lass is on it and i think its done her no good at all , but then bein a father ive no say. Thankfully the boys are no interested in flockbook, but these damn computers waste days n weeks of valuable time they could actually be doing something

By allowing under 13's on facebook you are allowing them to lie, as you would have to put a false d.o.b to get on. I don't think that allowing children to lie is a good thing and is something I tell my daughter I am much against.

I fully admire your opinions here. The general attitude to lies seems to be that if you can get away with it, fine; or if caught, just shrug it off. I think things would be much better if there was more condemnation of both active lying, and the supporting of the telling of lies.

I have a 15, 13 and 11 yr old and they all have fb accounts , predominantly to keep up with family down south. Nothing goes unchecked, FB can be a safe place if you use the correct privacy settings and keep an eye on whats happening..they also have all thier own MSNs, however we have access to all the chat logs ( much to my 15 yr olds disgust lol ) and check them often too.