Bairns on Facebook

Blimey, they let them loose on F/B at 13? I'm a right misery then - I wouldn't let them on until they were 18. Honestly, it bad enough coping with the adults let alone the sprogs. :wink:

Seriously though, why did f/b think 13 was okay? Given the amount of internet stalking/grooming that goes on, I would have thought a 13 year old was still quite vulnerable.

As for people saying they let kids on so they can keep in touch with family - what's wrong with e-mail?

^^ nothing wrong with email at all , just find fb useful in terms of following people , for example thier uncle adam has been working is Australia for the past 6 months and is great at updates on fb with plenty of photos and up to the min info on what hes up to there.

I do hear you with regards freaks on the internet but I am of the opinion If you keep a good eye on things it will be ok, lets face it we all let our 13 yr olds out to play and they are just as likely to meet freaks out in the real world too ( several who've lived close to me I can think of...) , in a way I can keep a better eye on anything thats logged than I can when they are out with thier mates. Everything in life comes with its risks , its just down to use to minimise them as much as we can.

Keep ya computer in the family room and keep an eye on whats happening. Simples :)

Guest Anonymous
By allowing under 13's on facebook you are allowing them to lie, as you would have to put a false d.o.b to get on. I don't think that allowing children to lie is a good thing and is something I tell my daughter I am much against.

I fully admire your opinions here. The general attitude to lies seems to be that if you can get away with it, fine; or if caught, just shrug it off. I think things would be much better if there was more condemnation of both active lying, and the supporting of the telling of lies.

absolutely , anything else can be sidestepped but the liar is trouble, mines all been lectured n better lectured about lieing , but at the end of the day its for them to realise you can get off wi b*gg*r all in Shetland

not entirely sure where the 13 age limit appeared from but it is the industry standard, under 13 you need parental permission, and as that can be hard to substantiate (sorry no spell check in this machine/browser), social networks usually bar all under 13s and any one caught out gets removed (used to be a great game with bebo and the pre-teens).

The Beeb, 1st news, Puffin Books etc just ask for a parental Email address - great as long as your child's honest, the other problem is if you don't allow your child an email address of their own, had to give up on that one when she started attending school here.

I must admit I do let mine have free range on the skype, but everything is fully itemised and I can follow IM conversations as they happen on my mobile phone if I really wanted to and it's always amusing the 1st time one of her friends gets the "switch off the computer it's bed time" messages.

I have a 15, 13 and 11 yr old and they all have fb accounts , predominantly to keep up with family down south. Nothing goes unchecked, FB can be a safe place if you use the correct privacy settings and keep an eye on whats happening..they also have all thier own MSNs, however we have access to all the chat logs ( much to my 15 yr olds disgust lol ) and check them often too.

Well siad xoni.

At the age of 47. My Facebook page is set to friends only No one can see who my friends are (people who were at School with me and my own age ect) unless I accept friendship first.. If?

I don’t know the name I click no.

The only person under 18. Is the Bairn of my Cousin and my Best Friend from School.

And both Parents Monitor her facebook page. And have asked me to keep a eye as well just in case.

I pick up on something, they have missed. The bairn has not been lied too. When the bairn asked a question. It is giving the true answer and now knows to come and ask her Mom or Dad without any embarrassment. And so has come and asked Mom or Dad about any friends request (so mom and dad can check out the said friend request) The bairn is now 11 years old and been on FB for 8 months.

And it’s Moms laptop, and can only use it when mom or dad is there. As mom set up the account

Mom can log on herself. And check everything. If and when she wants to.

I know very many children who are Facebook users and members and I thought it was shocking. One person's uncle was a member and she was at quite a young age and she often flirted with her uncle's friends. Why can't Facebook not exist or have a website for kids? I mean really I hate the way they comment about these 'hunks' saying "he looks gorgeous", "he's my dream man" it makes me cringe.

not entirely sure where the 13 age limit appeared from but it is the industry standard [...]

It is an American Federal trade requirement called COPPA "Children's Online Privacy Protection Act". FB being American based requires it by law.

I personally try to avoid anyone under the age of 18 as I dont particuarly want to have to watch what i say within reason and I feel anyone over the age of 18 is more than capable of decideing weather to hide or remove me if they dont like what i say, where as someone under 18 may not have the same degree of thought.

<-- off to watch my FL drop now :P

Oops, I forgot to say ...

It is sooo annoying when you have left Facebook Chat open and you are in the middle of an extremely important game of Bejewelled Blitz to have a distant teenage relative (say, for example, the daugther/son of your half cousin) pop up and ask what you are getting them for their birthday. :wink: