SIC - issued bin bags...

daveh

... are rubbish.

In previous years, the black bin bags we have been provided with have been quite strong. The ones that we got this years are very thin and split easily. As a result, I am having to either tape up the holes or having to use two bags at the same time.

Anyone else here noticed the poor quality or is it just me complaining about nothing again?

... are rubbish.

In previous years, the black bin bags we have been provided with have been quite strong. The ones that we got this years are very thin and split easily. As a result, I am having to either tape up the holes or having to use two bags at the same time.

Anyone else here noticed the poor quality or is it just me complaining about nothing again?

Another example of wasted council funds IMO. Bin bags should be purchased by the home owner like in almost every other Local Authority.

I am not aware of any Local Council that hands out free Black Rubbish Bags either.

So how much does this cost the SIC in a year?[/b]

In future, we will be able to buy these from the ever-expanding Tesco, the Co-Op and who knows maybe even Harry's?

More later... :wink:

I am not aware of any Local Council that hands out free Black Rubbish Bags either.

I moved to Shetland from St Albans in Hertfordshire and we were supplied with two bin bags each week up until the time that I moved here 2 years ago.

In response to the comment that we should pay for the bags, I have ended up paying for some stronger bags anyway in addition to paying for them via my rates. For those in town now using wheelie bins, are they paying for the emptying of them each week over and above their rates? I would doubt it?

We never got free bags in London. When we first moved up here we purchased black bags in Tesco and Co-op. It wasn't until much later on that the Council delivered 2 rolls and I was, quite frankly, gobsmacked that they provided them.

We don't pay for them as part of Council Tax - a Local Authority is only under an obligation to collect household refuge if placed in a suitable container. We pay for the collection via Council Tax, not the bags. The bags are a freebie and IMHO, should not be a freebie.

Isn't it just that they have changed to using biodegradable bags? They seem similar to the ones like that we've bought from the CooP in the past.

In that sense, its probably a good thing the council provide them rather than people using less environmentally friendly alternatives.

I do know a couple of other local authorities where the wheelie bins are provided, rather than charged for as they are here. Six and two threes?

Isn't it just that they have changed to using biodegradable bags? ... In that sense, its probably a good thing the council provide them rather than people using less environmentally friendly alternatives.

Is that true? I don't know much about the polymers involved, but I am dubious if there is likely to be much difference in what comes out of the incinerator.

In any case, the new ones are indeed rubbish, rubbish bags.

We don't pay for them as part of Council Tax - a Local Authority is only under an obligation to collect household refuge if placed in a suitable container. We pay for the collection via Council Tax, not the bags. The bags are a freebie and IMHO, should not be a freebie.

If the council are providing them then they are paid from the rates that we pay to SIC. Who else do you think is paying for them?

If the council are providing them then they are paid from the rates that we pay to SIC. Who else do you think is paying for them?

I haven't looked at the breakdown up here of Council income but CT does not make up all of the Council's income. For example, I know that the borough in London was subsidised 73% by the Government. However, I've read on here that SIC is a more affluent LA but at the same time, is subsidised. Given the fact that the SIC is making cuts elsewhere, then to me, I would say that free bin bags should be scrapped.

Re wheelie bins - most boroughs do charge for these. I can't stand wheelie bins - perhaps ever since one decided to wobble out into the road just as I was coming along on my motorbike!

rossendale were up to four free wheelies when we left. two normal because we were a 8 person home, a green one and a brown one. i think it would not work out here in the wilds a few gusts and you will have free waste desposal at sea.

still not free even it came from central goverment. taxes

Isn't it just that they have changed to using biodegradable bags? ... In that sense, its probably a good thing the council provide them rather than people using less environmentally friendly alternatives.

Is that true? I don't know much about the polymers involved, but I am dubious if there is likely to be much difference in what comes out of the incinerator.

Very true, I was trying to do my environmental bit but I'm glad you mentioned that. It's a bit like the whole "real nappy" thing. It's actually worse than using dispoables here because all the rubbish is burnt so they dont go to landfill, and washing real nappies both uses electricity and flushes deteregents etc down the drain..

oops. /rant

I must agree with you. Its the glass that gets me grind it up and destroy it to make concrete slabs ? In the past the bottles were washed out and reused grays lemonade etc. Cars are made to be recycled, could they not just make them to last? The only recycling in shetland as far as i can see is the bike project. pardon the pun.