Girsecutting

petergear

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's the girse I think it is, then it's Golders responsibility (the company from the mainland) and it should have been cut at least twice so far this year. There are quite a few other bits 'n' pieces they've missed out.

Phone the council on 693535 and they'll get on to Golders.

Peter, how often should play areas be cut ???

Ten times through the course of the summer, so they should all have had a good few cuts by now; all the clippings should be gathered and removed. As well as cutting the grass at each visit to the playparks, the contractor is supposed to sweep the hard surfaces (every visit), all glass, animal droppings and general rubbish should be removed, and the bins should be emptied.

...it should have been cut at least twice so far this year....

They've had this contract since the beginning of April. We're now into July. The areas you're talking about are category "c", which get ten cuts over the course of the summer, and (sorry to be pedantic Bryan) should have had four or five cuts by now.

They had double to triple the manpower and machinery on the job, and it still took them almost twice as long as ever before......

they seem to be slowly sinking and struggling to make up the ground they've lost....

Golders can hardly blame the weather, as we had one of the slowest starts to the growing season in many's the year (it was about a month behind our usual), and it has been nice dry working weather.

Anyway I have it on good authority that Golders took on 3 more staff two or three weeks back, and that they have been forced to take on another 3 staff over and above that, beginning fairly shortly, and that they've had to source a 3rd vehicle as well.

I still believe that even with their staffing numbers doubled from 6 to 12, that it is too little too late. We priced to do the work with 14 staff, to be implemented from the outset, and with five vehicles rather than three, so my opinion is that Golders are trying to play catch-up with inadequate resources.

Incidentally even if they do turn the work around now, they still haven't made a single visit to many areas yet which they're supposed to be doing; all the planted areas, for example, are supposed to have ten visits. I'm aware of a lot of girse which hasn't had its first cut yet.

Please help the council to be aware of these areas if you notice them, by either emailing or telephoning Infrastructure Services. The council's officers do want to know, it's just that it's impossible for them to be everywhere at the same time, so they need a little help from members of the public. You want to speak to either Graeme MacDonald or Jonathan Emptage. The number is 01595 744800, and their email addresses are below:

graeme.macdonald@sic.shetland.gov.uk

jonathan.emptage@sic.shetland.gov.uk

As I say, the council's officers do want to know, and they will chase up Golders to get the work done. The more you can let them know about, the better.

If you don't see results fast though, phone/email them back again until you do!

That would be a splendid idea - and give it back to the local lads and lasses that have worked so hard summer in and summer out and do a damn good job - and it also keeps the local economy moving, somthing that I would have thought would be important to the SIC, especially with the problems with the fishing industry, limited lifespan of the oil and suchlike....

Willies_landy wrote

Who is going to cut the grass in Nederdale? Standing at about 12" any farmer would be delighted to have the contract as it would be a welcome boost for silage.

Ok aside from any notions of tethered goats to go the grass cutting what happens to the grass?........and if it goes to the incinerator is there a better way to use it?.

Ok aside from any notions of tethered goats to go the grass cutting what happens to the grass?........and if it goes to the incinerator is there a better way to use it?.

It gets incinerated I'm afraid (and the dumping charges are huge)

There's been several attempts made by the council over the years to use the grass in a constructive way. One of the main problems was that the less scrupulous individuals/contractors dumped grass which was full of rubbish, broken glass, household waste etc into the areas reserved for 'recyclable' grass.

As far as I'm aware, the council have no plans to use the garden waste constructively at the moment.

Many of our private customers keep their own grass for compost, or in some cases animal feed. However, if we know it to be contaminated in some way, we take it to the dump.

As ever, Girsey Gear will be able to provide the answers :wink:

peeriebryan wrote

So the council pays you (or that lot from south) to cut the grass and then charges you to dump it........I would guess that even damp grass is fuel for the incinerator. Crazy sort of world.

So the council pays you (or that lot from south) to cut the grass and then charges you to dump it........I would guess that even damp grass is fuel for the incinerator. Crazy sort of world.

:lol: It does seem ridiculous. They pay grasscutters, then grasscutters pay them, then they pay landfill taxes to the government.

peeriebryan wrote

Pretty hopeless fuel, even with zero moisture, an unearthly amount of smoke and precious little else. Although I don't suppose it's any worse than any other high moisture food etc scraps and sodden used Nappies....

Notwithstanding those who insist on mixing nasties in with it, there can be no excuse not to just have a corner in the dump someplace for grass, and let it do with it does best, rot down and make soil. You don't get a much more natural occurance.

Notwithstanding those who insist on mixing nasties in with it, there can be no excuse not to just have a corner in the dump someplace for grass, and let it do with it does best, rot down and make soil. You don't get a much more natural occurance.

I completely agree. It is one of the few natural and organic things which is dumped in large amounts (several tons per day from us alone).

Unfortunately, the council classes it as 'hazardous waste' due to the potential o bad stuff in it.