Posers

Guest Raven007

Although i cant deny it goes on, not everyone who goes out clubing is into taking drugs and i am sure any responcible venue/promoter would be part of trying to stop this going on.

Edit: All though you jsut need to go to posers and see how it still goes on plenty sadly

Posers Sadly will always have the upper hand on anywhere else that opens, mainly due to location, who when they are drunk wants to walk 200m off thier usual drunken swaggering route?

I do severly hope that Mareel does work out as an alternative venue even if it is just once a month as a decent club but it is up to all these people that hate/moan about posers to ensure it does take off and give it support.

The Cross/Street is and has been the traditional gathering place from whenever the first ramshackle shebeen/cathouse appeared overlooking the Muddy Bay, Posers takes advantage of that fact, and plays its part in perpetuating the habit of keeping it as a gathering place.

If you want your entertainment establishment to be a success, you've either got to take advantage of that captive clientile, or offer something thats as much better that folk are motivated to shift themselves to the new location.

For facilities and hopefully for performers Mareel could fit the bill of dragging folk away, but I have doubts an "at least once a month" arrangement is enough to make that happen. IMHO you need to establish a location/venue in folks minds as the default one to head for of a weekend night. I'm not convinced that will happen unless its an every Friday and Saturday night kind of thing.

In its favour its near enough the Lounge/Noost/Grand/The Wheel et al "entertainment strip" that it stands a chance of just getting tagged on to the end of the route, but its also far enough away that it risks folk not being bothered to go that extra couple of hundred yards to get there. I would imagine it would be relatively easy to say "**** this" if in a half oiled condition you came round the corner at the Viking out of the relative shelter and took the full force of a NW gale in the face, and just turn around and head back in ower again.

For a venue that caught the captive clientile, in my mind the opportunity was missed, firstly when Tods came up in the late 70's. One of the floors with a stage at once side and a bar at the other with a mosh pit inbetween would have done just fine. Secondly, it was missed again when the LHT knocked down the Steamer's Store. Brick up most of the doors, stage one end, bar the other, and a high wall around it to stop the rubber (wo)men slithering out wobbling in to the drink, job done.

Although i cant deny it goes on, not everyone who goes out clubing is into taking drugs and i am sure any responcible venue/promoter would be part of trying to stop this going on.

Edit: All though you jsut need to go to posers and see how it still goes on plenty sadly

in most peoples eyes and the police's eyes too dance music= drugs though :?

they can stop it in the venue easily but people who take before they go in are they going to turn them away? if they do that the venue will be almost empty. but saying that if someone who takes drugs before they go out does not bother anyone i dont see what the problem is, but of course you will always get idiots that take things too far, which is a shame because it has given drugs a really bad name which is stupid as alcohol kills more people in a year than drugs do in 3 years..... where is the logic? ok rant over :oops:

How are you not allowed in posers after a certain time, I think its 1am, but its open till 2? Same with the wheel.

Why is all the pubs not allowed to be open till 2 or even 3am. A lot of the time these 2 are very strict against some people but easy going to others. It seems more strict in Lerwick then it is in Glasgow or Aberdeen at times.

The Wheel and Posers are both legally Clubs, that means they have to charge people on the door after a certain time and have people manning the entrances too.

That's the only way to get a 2am license, which sucks compared to the old 3am licenses that seemed to be everywhere.

Anyway they're strict about it because if not they can lose their license and that's a big deal

I know a lot of people go to Posers about half10, get a stamp then go to the pubs for two hours. Then they go back and can walk straight in.

You can do the same thing at the Wheel if you go there after 12 when they start charging to get in. Then people stand out the front and smoke so the bar staff knows who has already paid in, so they can just walk in.