Yell & Fetlar Broadband upgrade

stilldellin

Well its no surprise to me , but the 2nd date I have been given for the upgrade, came and went with a whimper!!

Still on 512k

No comment from BT......

Our colonial friends cant give a sensible answer.My dog gives better excuses.

I will try and get a UK response tomorrow.

Doh!!!!

I'm interested, why the line has to stabilise.

As a retired electronics engineer, an answer from anybody who knows these things would be appreciated.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your silence is deafening Yala ! How did you get on with AOL ?

Sorry had a stressful few days! Getting no where with AOL they have been messing around with my broadband in days but its still barely downloading 490kbps . I'm now going on the phone tomorrow to tell them to stick it :evil: , get my mac code and try join up with bt broadband. They estimate about 5megs for my area and this is very appealing. SO after much toil think if I actually can get that with BT then I'm MOVING!! This is all VERY stressful! Not a happy bunny. :cry:

PHILMORT posted :- I'm interested, why the line has to stabilise.

I would imagine one reason would be down to fluctuations in the line conditions on every individual pair of copper wires to the customers premises, as in low insulation and battery faults plus customers own wiring and equipment. If the exchange equipment was to immediately go on full speed and stay there then there would be no leeway when any further line condition appeared resulting in freezing and dropouts and unhappy customers. Much better that the initial speed " throttles back " after a day or so.

something you might like to consider...

If you have a line running across your master socket, without the Openreach logo, you can fit this. It improves line qualtity even if you don't have extension wiring. ....

Well, its only purpose is to filter the extension wiring, so if you don't have any it won't make any difference at all.

If you do have extention wiring a cheaper option, and even better, is to remove the 'bell wire', on a correctly wired facepalte this is on terminal 3.

bit of a late response to this sorry

"Even if it doesn't improve the speed the I-Plate can help stabilise your broadband line making it more reliable. " From their site.

I have no extension wiring and it improved my speed by nearly 2MB. Not saying it's going to be like that for everyone, one friend only had his improve by 0.5Mb, but very bit helps.

I have previously disconnected the ring wire at a previous address, and know there will be people out there not that comfortable with fiddling with wires, as simple as it is.

Just thought this might help :)

something you might like to consider...

If you have a line running across your master socket, without the Openreach logo, you can fit this. It improves line qualtity even if you don't have extension wiring. ....

Well, its only purpose is to filter the extension wiring, so if you don't have any it won't make any difference at all.

If you do have extention wiring a cheaper option, and even better, is to remove the 'bell wire', on a correctly wired facepalte this is on terminal 3.

bit of a late response to this sorry

"Even if it doesn't improve the speed the I-Plate can help stabilise your broadband line making it more reliable. " From their site.

I have no extension wiring and it improved my speed by nearly 2MB. Not saying it's going to be like that for everyone, one friend only had his improve by 0.5Mb, but very bit helps.

I have previously disconnected the ring wire at a previous address, and know there will be people out there not that comfortable with fiddling with wires, as simple as it is.

Just thought this might help :)

Speaking with my engineer hat on... an Ipate filters the extsion wiring, so by definition if there is none, it is not likely to do much. The act of removing the face plat and putting it back e can 'clean' the plug contacts if the socket has, or has had, some dampness in it.

But the iplate is cheap, even free from some ISPs. So by all means give it a try. However, for anyone thinking of getting one, it does not filter those work of the devil cheap telephone extention leads.

If you have wireless, keep the router close to the socket and use the wireless. IF you dont have wireless, or need to be cabled, use a long CAt5 (computer) lead to connect the computer to the router.

• 1 month later...

apart from all the technical problems: how much do you in fact pay for the services (telephone and broadband)?

I am just trying to figure out how much costs of living would change once we decide to relocate to Fetlar. Another surprise like the increase of my car tax (114 € in Germany to 425 in Britain)? Hopefully not...

At the moment I pay for unlimited broadband (it's an old contract at only 2,000 speed but could be upgraded without extra costs) and unlimited national landline calls plus unlimited landline calls to Denmark, France, UK, Italy, Netherlands, Austria and Spain € 27.14 per month (that's about 22 pounds). Line hire is included.

Calling a mobile number costs extra but I'm not a friend of mobile phones anyway.

It seems a similar package costs a lot more in UK?

Shopped around a bit in the web but found nothing competitive.

• 3 weeks later...

As a guideline BT cheapest option 1 costs me about £34 a month which includes UK wide calls at anytime. Thats for 10gb per month usage. For another fiver you get the full antivirus plus 40gb per month. There are cheaper options from other ISP's.

You can expect speeds up to 5MB in central Fetlar and lucky to scrape 1Meg at Funzie.

Also consider the approx 100 mile round trip costs to Lerwick inc ferry fares costing approx £8 return.

Speaking with my engineer hat on... an Ipate filters the extsion wiring, so by definition if there is none, it is not likely to do much.

I've ignored the iPlate for this reason, as I have nothing except the router plugged directly intot he master, and only, socket in the house. But since you have your engineers hat on :) - we are semi-detached, with the phone line entering our house and continuing through to the neighbours. Is it in any way possible for any wiring/extensions they have to affect ours?

If so, I guess trying the iPlate may be worth the couple of quid?