The Planets Ballroom

icepick239

Posers, Jubilee 77 etc mmmmm

There has only ever been one place for mind-blowing entertainment in Town and that was The Planets Ballroom. (Circa 58 - 66) :?:

A Peerie Memory:

The 11.30pm (near closing scenario) might have gone something like this.

Watna dance? - no.. (move to the next lass)

Watna dance? - no.. (move to the next lass)

Watna dance? - No.. (move to the next lass)

Watna dance? - Okay den.

Can I tik de hom?

No, I'd lik a dance first, den weel see.

An a da time, da Midnighters were playing great music.

This thread might grow legs or it may just die.

Lotta fun here i think :wink:

I remember the Planets very well, it was the best venue in Shetland. The resident band on Friday's and Saturdays during the early to mid 1970's was The trackers and had Tommy Sutherland on the drums and sometimes the clarenet. A good group, I also remember Jackie Sinclair he was a great guy, but I dont remember him and his group playing at the Planets, everywhere else but not the Planets, Jackie's group was Da Better Haaf.

A big loss to Lerwick when it closed, but I'm sure the people in the residential area loved it.

I remember Jackie Sinclair etc playing there, but what was the band that had Robbie Somerville on vocals?

Also remember being searched for drink at the door, and the cloakroom doonstairs where they also sausage rolls.

Fairly sure Robbie's group wis Rainbow Pavement.

It's the Early Sixties and Pre Beatles - Gordon (Hank) Smith was singing Buddy Holly's "True Love Ways and "I guess it doesn't matter anymore" all with hardly ony lights on....

C'mon, I'm sure there are quite a few of you still walking aboot out there, or did you not go? :wink:

Rainbow Pavement comes into my head here for some reason. But it seams a long time ago now.

Rainbow Pavement were post Planets - Robbie Sommerville Vocals, Derek Bulter - Lead Guitar, Alex Johnson - Bass, Ian Barry - Drums were the core with others at times too - Best remembered for their gigs at the Midsummer open air Fort Charlotte gigs - superb

Rainbow Pavement comes into my head here for some reason. But it seams a long time ago now.

Rainbow Pavement were post Planets - Robbie Sommerville Vocals, Derek Bulter - Lead Guitar, Alex Johnson - Bass, Ian Barry - Drums were the core with others at times too - Best remembered for their gigs at the Midsummer open air Fort Charlotte gigs - superb

Have to take your Post about that bug. As I pointed out it was a long time ago. And my mark 1 Hard Disc (Brain) Was not designed for upgrading.

And past the defragging stage. But superb they were.

And a lot of good weekends spent in the halls too.

Frank Miller played guitar with them.

didnt Rainbow Pavement originally have Philip Fordyce on vocals and Gordon sorry the last name escapes me but in those days they played at the Isleburgh House dances. Ian Barrie would have been on drums right enough.

No! Philip didn't play with them!