Gove says he is open to athiest-run free schools

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm as much as i am against religion being forced down your thoats i still think the various forms should be taught in an unbiased way so kids/people can make up their own minds.

Im not a believer in the almighty but there are certain values and morals that should be taught i guess is what i am saying.

Atheism does not equate to immorality. I would hope that an atheist run school would teach a moral code of standards all human beings should be encouraged to live by, simply because IT IS moral. Rather than some fear based mumbo jumbo about some Almighty or other having you roasting in eternal damnation because you broke a commandment.

I am not an atheist - my religion is no-ones business but my own. I do object to having religion of any type force fed to me or my children though.

Im not a believer in the almighty but there are certain values and morals that should be taught i guess is what i am saying.

I actually find the implication in this statement, that religion is necessary to instil morals and values, quite insulting.

Have you read the bible?

You would be hard pushed to find any morality or values in it which are not immediately contradicted by turning a couple of pages.

I think all religion should be explicitly prohibited from coming within, say, a 500 metre radius of any educational establishment. Religion has nothing to offer education in the modern world.

Thats a ridiculous statement youve made there ArabiaTerra, its got everything to do with the modern world and it remains an important part of the School Curriculum

Don't get me wrong, I think religions should be a welcome area of study, if only to point out how ridiculous they all are. I meant that there should be no religious input or involvement in the running of schools.

:wink:

RE/SE in school was my sleep hour.

That's how little it meant to me. I was brought up well, I didn't need an old book to learn morals and my rights from my wrongs.

I'd far rather have been learning something worthwhile like joinery, history, more maths, computer studies, nautical studies etc etc...

Crackers IMO, what would be an athiest run school? Sounds just as bad as schools for specific religions. May be worse as they generaly to explore other religions to some extent.

Athiesm, seems to be becoming a religion of no religion :lol: What do you do give a kid a detention if they mention anything religious, exclusion for giving a christmas card :lol:

Secular schools definitely, where there is a chance to explore many belief systems without a particular emphasis on one, e.g christianity in it's myriad forms.

I have no issue at all with people being athiest, agnostic or whatever but this just sounds silly...

What do you do give a kid a detention if they mention anything religious, exclusion for giving a christmas card :lol:

Put him in the corner And make him talk to the Burning Bush 100 times

Or put him in the naughty pulpit along side the imaginary friend

all religion has done over the years is cause wars!

To me, thats a statement that rings the bells of truth over and over, it doesnt need much of a root through history to see that religion started as a means of allowing the few *power hungry* men rule over the rest of mankind, religion evolved as a means of ensuring servitude and in many cases still does, it always has and always will the root of evil and cause for countless deaths and suffering in its name. Its gone beyond time that the schools should be teaching kids truth about religion, not the glossed over fairy storys they are consistantly brain washed into believing.

• 2 weeks later...
Crackers IMO, what would be an athiest run school? Sounds just as bad as schools for specific religions. May be worse as they generaly to explore other religions to some extent.

Athiesm, seems to be becoming a religion of no religion :

I have no issue at all with people being athiest, agnostic or whatever but this just sounds silly...

I see your point - but the free schools movement is carte blanche to the god squad and we probably do need to consider the implications and alternatives.

If an athiest school earned its spurs by merely teaching the curriculum without attempting to brainwash the kids it'd be fine in my book. Seems to me it would look exactly like the schools we have now, without the CRE. Nothing wrong with teaching religion in the context of social studies or history. Nothing inimical to athieism in that.

On the other hand, probably easier to clear the proselytisers out of our schools, have all state schools dedicate their resources to actual education rather than propgating fairy stories and if you want your offspring imbued with the spirit - my understanding is that there are plenty of opportunities each Sunday morning, up and down the country to do just that.

But on your own time.

Guest Anonymous

roman catholic schools and CofE schools are all funded by the state so surely it is unfair to not fund athiest schools and the government could find itself in court if it did not allow athiest schools funding.

this government is just correcting a wrong that tony blair refused to do ten years ago when he was going to stop funding of muslim schools but backed down in a hurry when it was pointed out to him by his wifes priests that this would also deny funding to biggoted catholic schools.