Girlsta Loch

JAStewart

• 1 year later...
:lol: I was told that char were a relic of the ice age and found only in Mountain lochs---like Girlsta and ones in the mountains of Wales. I do know that they are fished in the mountain lakes in Norway and served up in the hotels nearby.if not further afield. The ones we had were small and served two or three to a dish.

l forgot to add that i remember a number of years ago seeing three trout between 2lb and 3lb which had been caught in the loch by spinner being gutted all of them were stuffed with small fish about the size of sillocks which must have been char this would indicate a very high population of these very pretty fish.

It would be interesting to transfer some Girlsta char into some other shetland lochs and see if other populations could be established in other lochs i believe Clings Water and the Loch of Tingwall would be good candidates as they are nearly as deep as Girlsta.

There was a proposal a few years ago to stock at least one other loch with char from Girlsta, but i don't know what happened about it. I may raise this point at the next SAA meeting.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of years ago char were farmed in the loch of brouster for a couple of years .Dont know where they obtained their stock fish from .As for stocking eela water with char i would think they are better lochs eela water is fairly shallow as i found out a few years ago when i fished it a few times out of a boat. Intrestingly in a old book about shetland eela water is called Gelta water.